đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

"Permission To Dance" officially debuts at No. 1 on Hot 100

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Micmaky

I’m not sure people are mad fans are buying their music. If it was a few listening parties and some remixes that’s fine but it’s bordering on fraudulent, gaming the system activities that BTS encourage. For example, the whole gathering money on PayPal from overseas to pay for a few thousand fans to buy multiple versions of the same song is if not illegal then fairly unethical and doesn’t represent what people in the US are listening to. Gaga fans buying a few copies of an album to gift to friends is very different. This is strategic and organised operation to purposefully game the system with clear cut goals given each week to the army. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JusKeepBreathin

Music purchases is no longer the most popular way we consume music. It's weighted too heavily on the Hot100 chart which is a popularity chart and not a sales chart. 

It also means it's easily manipulated.

BTS can have all their #1's on sales charts and the BB200 album chart.  But they are not the most popular artist in the US just because they sold 100k downloads. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

LavenderLamborghin

This so so cool to see! BTS is an amazing group and I'm so happy to be part of their fandom. Reminds me of the early days of being a little monster, which was like 10 years ago now. Buying music and streaming to help Gaga get good numbers and attention! It's just as fun and delightful doing the same with BTS. Gaga and BTS are my favs đź’•

Sneaky Oliver

The way Dua managed to stay on the Hot100 Top 10 for two years and also The Weeknd wont just leave, they both keep winning :nooo:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Sneaky Oliver
5 minutes ago, MANiCUREd said:

This so so cool to see! BTS is an amazing group and I'm so happy to be part of their fandom. Reminds me of the early days of being a little monster, which was like 10 years ago now. Buying music and streaming to help Gaga get good numbers and attention! It's just as fun and delightful doing the same with BTS. Gaga and BTS are my favs đź’•

You need to be maniCURED indeed :triggered: jk 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

LavenderLamborghin
1 hour ago, Glojuice said:

I’m not sure people are mad fans are buying their music. If it was a few listening parties and some remixes that’s fine but it’s bordering on fraudulent, gaming the system activities that BTS encourage. For example, the whole gathering money on PayPal from overseas to pay for a few thousand fans to buy multiple versions of the same song is if not illegal then fairly unethical and doesn’t represent what people in the US are listening to. Gaga fans buying a few copies of an album to gift to friends is very different. This is strategic and organised operation to purposefully game the system with clear cut goals given each week to the army. 

This is interesting. When I first saw this style of organizing for BTS on Twitter, I remembered of when we did that for Gaga. Little Monsters used to be way more active like that.

robbiemalik

Boy with luv deserves this kind of success:giveup: Permission to dance has way toooo much auto tune imo, I also missed their Native language music, these past song are generic English music. 

P0JffionRowQat

Streaming is not the best way to measure popularity either because there are thousands of companies that fraudulently sell playlist spots to artists to manipulate streaming numbers.

Streams are weighed less on the BB-Hot100 because 1 stream is equivalent to 1 view on youtube, sales are still the traditional way and the best way of consuming music.  Billboard counts streams less as streams don't make as much money for the music industry as sales are, most of the streams' profit goes to Spotify or Apple Music.  While Sales' profits can distribute to music labels and to artists throughout the music industry, so Billboard Hot100 weighs more on sales for that particular reason, it's better for the music industry as a whole.

Are there more popular artists in the US right now?   Let's take BTS out of the equation right now, let's say BTS does not exist.  Shouldn't the most popular artist in the US have at least 130K in music sales?  That's a pretty low number, 130K sales is a very low number for Billboard's standard.  If none of the US artists can get 130K sales, then they are not that popular right now.

Micmaky
4 hours ago, P0JffionRowQat said:

Streaming is not the best way to measure popularity either because there are thousands of companies that fraudulently sell playlist spots to artists to manipulate streaming numbers.

Streams are weighed less on the BB-Hot100 because 1 stream is equivalent to 1 view on youtube, sales are still the traditional way and the best way of consuming music.  Billboard counts streams less as streams don't make as much money for the music industry as sales are, most of the streams' profit goes to Spotify or Apple Music.  While Sales' profits can distribute to music labels and to artists throughout the music industry, so Billboard Hot100 weighs more on sales for that particular reason, it's better for the music industry as a whole.

Are there more popular artists in the US right now?   Let's take BTS out of the equation right now, let's say BTS does not exist.  Shouldn't the most popular artist in the US have at least 130K in music sales?  That's a pretty low number, 130K sales is a very low number for Billboard's standard.  If none of the US artists can get 130K sales, then they are not that popular right now.

This statement makes no sense. You have to take into consideration the consumption of the day and digital sales are extremely low when most people stream. It’s like saying a song hasn’t sold enough cassette tapes so shouldn’t be 1. 

now the financial part is something different. Yes, revenue from sales is higher than streaming but that’s not equivalent to an artist is not popular. It basically means streaming companies pay very little and need to change their model. At the end of the day, streaming is the largest way to consume music and most of genz would not even know any other way to listen to music (except vinyls). I feel BTS fans throw this statement that Olivia should have higher sales otherwise she’s not popular, uhh why would a current gen z artist have more sales than streaming. BTS fans themselves know that PTD is a crap song (checkout out the official bts reddit, 90% of them really hate the new songs especially PTD) but will buy it to game the system. 

P0JffionRowQat

This statement makes no sense. You have to take into consideration the consumption of the day and digital sales are extremely low when most people stream. It’s like saying a song hasn’t sold enough cassette tapes so shouldn’t be 1. 

Many people were saying how can BTS get #1 on the Hot100 when BTS only ranked at #39 on the streaming charts.  People expected BTS to rank high on the streaming charts, eventhough they don't need to, since they already got the sales.
So I flipped the coin and asked, why can't streaming artists get 130K sales.

It's how they add up to get the total "points".  If their total points added up to 310 or less, then they're not popular enough, that means they need more sales.  They cannot get anymore streams because they already maxed out, anymore streams would be fandom mass streaming and wouldn't count.  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6iiT51UcAEb0Gs?format=jpg

why would a current gen z artist have more sales than streaming.

Kpop market, Japan market, most Asian markets and most music markets around the world where gen-z still buy sales.  Except US, I'd guess.

Micmaky
23 minutes ago, P0JffionRowQat said:

Many people were saying how can BTS get #1 on the Hot100 when BTS only ranked at #39 on the streaming charts.  People expected BTS to rank high on the streaming charts, eventhough they don't need to, since they already got the sales.
So I flipped the coin and asked, why can't streaming artists get 130K sales.

It's how they add up to get the total "points".  If their total points added up to 310 or less, then they're not popular enough, that means they need more sales.  They cannot get anymore streams because they already maxed out, anymore streams would be fandom mass streaming and wouldn't count.  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6iiT51UcAEb0Gs?format=jpg

Kpop market, Japan market, most Asian markets and most music markets around the world where gen-z still buy sales.  Except US, I'd guess.

I thought we were discussing the Billboard charts so Korea and Japan would be irrelevant to the US Billboard charts (BTS aren’t even that big in Korea). The consumption of BTS in the US doesn’t match the charts. When you are saying lots of people have bought it so they don’t need to stream that’s actually incorrect because only a few thousand people have bought Dynamite, butter etc and they have bought multiple versions multiple times. And the money is from overseas. Do you see why this could be considered fraudulent? 

P0JffionRowQat
16 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

I thought we were discussing the Billboard charts

Do you see why this could be considered fraudulent?  

I don't know, you need to ask Billboard that.  Why would BB let BTS get #1 for 8 weeks?

Serial Chiller

Lmao not all these bitter gheys getting triggered because a korean boy band is doing the same thing that their faves did/are doing, albeit at a much grander scale. 

Calling Billboard to change the rules and limit sale per person. Like ehm why? They earn more money this way cuz sales>streams. What's the point of charts & sales? clout and profit. 

I admit that the new BTS song is bland (Butter outsold) and doesn't "deserve" a number 1 but heck, their fans have the time and the money, let them have it. 

Archived