series

American Horror Stories - Discussion

Perfume

Featured Posts

Perfume

Hey guys! Here’s a thread to discuss the episodes as they come out -

My thoughts on the first two episodes:

Spoiler

For me, Episodes 1 and 2 felt so entirely cringe… It was obvious they were trying to capitalize on the “revisting the Murder House” aspect and a lot of the storyline felt absolutely forced and horribly written. Hard to follow along and paired with some bad acting (SPECIFICALLLY looking at you Kaia Gerber…), it made that whole experience such a loss for me. Still looking forward to the next episodes but it seems obvious that models were cast for looks rather than… ability to act. 

Also they did the original AHS season so dirty by making the Murder House seem like a “happy and fun, yet sad” location rather than the lonely, desolate and insufferably tragic house it was MEANT to be. Why bring in an iconic setting just to butcher it? Oh yeah… the views.

an angel held me like a child

• Perfume changed the title to American Horror Stories - Discussion
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CyanLights

I haven't been able to watch but from what I've seen people say I dont think I want to watch :S

I’ve been super out of AHS, and the last I heard, they were doing a double feature for the next season. So I thought American Horror Stories was just the name of Season 10. Eventually came to find it’s a spin-off and still gave it a chance.

I watched the first episode and I don’t think I’m gonna continue. Feels just as you said and was a snoozefest. If this is just going to revisit each season of the main AHS then meh. It won’t be the same without the same actors who have made each season stand out. I’m just going to wait until August for the real thing to come back.

Focus

Pretty disappointed yet happy we're finally getting AHS material and looking forward to the next episodes, which will hopefully have more "horror content" outside stupid haunted houses and ghosts.

Spoiler

Idk about yall but it was also impossible to memorize the names, I only remember scarlett :bradley: but the episodes were basically velma in a rubber suit teaming up with a female rendition of tate and killing around a dollar store plastics. clearly intended for teens and i kinda felt weird with all the texting slangs and emojis, high school drama, and letting the teens take over the murder house completely erasing season 1's history. matt bomer's character also deserved so much better. blatant fan service, hoping we get more "interesting" fear factors instead of bland serial killers and ghosts.

with that being said i also REALLY can't wait for AHS S11

ZiggyZiggs

I thought the opposite about kaia’s acting. I thought she was very convincing in the role. Her physicality was good, dialogue delivery on point, facial expressions too. Paris Jackson on the other hand didn’t do a good enough job for me.

Shav33l

Not me thinking that this was part 1 of the double feature 💀. Thanks to @Zeth, I know now that that's not the case. The comments do not look quite positive but I'll still check it out because I love AHS. 

Red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout.

SHALLOW

It's not that bad, but what is even the purpose of this spinoff? :saladga: Also, i'm so f****ing tired of teenagers in tv shows.

Noir

Haven't seen them yet, does anyone know how to watch in the United Kingdom??

2 hours ago, SHALLOW said:

It's not that bad, but what is even the purpose of this spinoff? :saladga: Also, i'm so f****ing tired of teenagers in tv shows.

I kind of don't mind the teenage drama element because it may mean it's reserved exclusively for this show and not as much as for American Horror Story. 

Meredith Grey

After I finished the episode I feel good about the series but have some complaints about the episode. There was no reason for this to be set in the Murder House other than to excite people to watch the first episode. The episode is about the suit and a new family moving into a haunted house where we don’t see any ghosts from the original series. Besides a 3 second clip of the piggy man and a few subtle references to Ben Harmon, this feels like Murder House never really happened there? And the pacing was a bit off. We spent a lot of time on certain things, but the scenes of actual terror and gore were so fast. But they pulled off some good plot twists and some of the scenes landed very well (Scarlett being humiliated by those girls made me feel weird but upset for her). Honestly, the writing itself was pretty good. Ryan is always good at blending humor with horror and making well-written characters. Kaia Gerber and Sierra McCormick did a good job, too. I wish they fleshed Kaia’s character out a bit more but I’m excited for her to join AHS now. I’m way more excited for the other episodes now, especially because most of them seem to have stronger casts and won’t be so strongly connected to an AHS season. I think the episodes that have less to do with the main show will be the better ones.

RahrahWitch

I didn't expect much to be honest but I'm kind of disappointed. I really thought stories was going to flesh out the existing lore and lesser known characters. 

I'd liked if there was more on how and why the suit works than a setting up stories for a whole new cast of characters that I'll never care about again in an hour.

Panchecco

To be completely honest, after watching the last few seasons of AHS I had zero expectations for this spin off when it was first announced and after seeing these first 2 episodes well... let's just say they exceeded my expectations. Meaning they were way worse than I could have ever imagined ahah

The premise of an episodic horror anthology is not that original to be honest and as a fan of Ryan shows, this really felt like a cash-grab more than an actual cool idea. Plus he's basically just re-visiting and referencing his own past material at this point making it almost feel like a parody of itself. The episode felt like watching Pretty Little Lies, Riverdale or something like Sabrina where the story and casting is clearly targeted to teenagers and the young actors are truly terrible at making the story and emotions portrayed feel authentic. I was truly surprised at how bad and cringy the acting was, not even the amazing set and atmosphere of the Murder House could save their performances/story. While I was watching the episodes I was cracking up at the thought of all the iconic ghosts from the first season being so ****ing annoyed and by these new ghosts that they didn't even bother to show up. I know Tate and Violet were over it ahahah. It really felt like a terrible reboot of the first few episode of Murder House but even the visuals weren't on the same level. I doubt it will get better than this but I'll probably still give it a chance. 

This doesn't help my doubts about AHS Double Feature but at least for the new season most of the original cast will be back and it will be so refreshing to see some good acting and hopefully good interacting between iconic actors from this franchise. 

Also just a personal thing that is driving me insane. Has anyone else noticed how drastically bad the marketing campaign have been these past few years? The imagery of AHS was truly one of my favorite aspect of the show, each season had a very specific mood and aesthetic and the promotional materials did a perfect job at reflecting them and teasing the events. I truly think the latest posters for American Horror Stories are the worst images to come out of the franchise, so tacky and so tastless. 

Spoiler

I am a huge AHS fan and I've always supported all of Ryan works so everything said here is from a place of love and I truly hope the best for this franchise as it shaped my love for horror and overall amazing imagery. 

Enigma

Why the **** are we back to the murder house lol it’s been 3 times GIVE IT A ****ING REST RYAN IT’S THE MOST BORING SETTING IT’S LITERALLY JUST A HAUNTED HOUSE 

A teenager as the main character makes it feel so cheap

Theres nothing remotely horrific about the episode I watched. Nothing interesting either? Psycho teen kills people… ok, that’s it?

The whole ****ing point of that spin-off was to explore a bunch of themes that they couldn’t cover on the main show… why are two episodes dedicated to this dead horse of a season omg 

Archived