Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

Gaga's stylist Tom: "The goal is always to create a fantasy world"

NewUsername

Featured Posts

NewUsername

c6de73f83e2d7e1ca864333a9a695d75.jpg

Some excerpts: 

In my hometown of Bredene I always felt like an outsider. If I wasn't bullied in physical education class at school, I would get comments on my outfits on the street. As a teenager, I wanted nothing more than to see the world and find places where I could be myself. Studying photography in Antwerp was a liberation: at the academy and in the nightlife I had the first feeling that there were still people like me. Also in Lady Gaga's team I have often thought that misfits always find each other. A chosen family that knows what you are going through in difficult moments, that is a strength.

[...]

In the first place, a stylist must be able to listen carefully: sense in which direction an artist or fashion label wants to go and then develop a vision himself. A lot of what I do has a dark romantic side, but the outcome is never fixed. I don't miss total freedom, for me the collaboration with clients, creative teams and other stylists is a source of creativity and change. Hearing other ideas, being stimulated to get out of your comfort zone: that keeps it interesting.

[...]

The key question is whether someone also feels good in an outfit. As a teenager I liked to experiment with fashion to overcome my insecurity, so I know how clothes can boost your confidence. I don't know any artist who doesn't care about that psychological aspect of clothing: even for the very greatest, the outfit is crucial to overcome their stage fright and become their public persona.

For me, every assignment remains a challenge. Styling Lady Gaga for the Oscars and the Grammy Awards or Sylvie Kreusch for an intimate performance, three hundred spectators or three million: the goal is always to create an overall picture or a fantasy world and to enrapture the audience. There are so many unpredictable factors involved that I can never be sure in advance of the good outcome. That alone makes it hard to rest on my laurels. The stress and uncertainty push me forward, but afterwards I still feel a sense of relief.

Source: Weekend Knack

CautiousLurker

A fantasy world where Act II and Sour Candy mv exist :flutter:

Stupid Oreo

A fantasy world that we have to imagine ourselves :neyde:

Delulu world :awkney:

GucciGa
3 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Honestly what even was the last GAGA outfit she wore?

What do you mean... 

😇

Jill
10 minutes ago, GucciGa said:

What do you mean... 

They mean they want Gaga to wear "crazy" outfits her entire life, without paying attention to what she wants to wear herself.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Ladle Ghoulash
17 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Bad Kids Vault promo look 

Ladle Ghoulash
2 minutes ago, Jill said:

They mean they want Gaga to wear "crazy" outfits her entire life, without paying attention to what she wants to wear herself.

Right? As if Gaga's style hasn't always been eclectic. Smh

GucciGa
2 minutes ago, Jill said:

And yet I guarantee that if she was still dressing up like a sea creature they'd be dragging her to hell and mocking her. 

Also, she put on a fashion show just 2 weeks ago in NY but this fandom has a memory like a goldfish when it suits it

😇

Jose P
20 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Didn’t she wear like 5 just a year ago at the VMAs?? 

Ladle Ghoulash
Just now, Jose P said:

Didn’t she wear like 5 just a year ago at the VMAs?? 

Also the Dom Perignon shoot 

ZiggyZiggs

her team always says the most while doing the least I'm crying :toofunny: the fantasy world of chromatica started and died with the SL video lol

LaLa
2 minutes ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

her team always says the most while doing the least I'm crying :toofunny: the fantasy world of chromatica started and died with the SL video lol

it's not just about Chromatica though (I actually don't think Tom & Sandra worked much on that? Mostly Nicola). Her looks from earlier this month in NYC were very much about creating a specific image and telling a story. Not every fantasy world is "sci-fi fantasy", ya know? 

S0436

Her outfits in NY recently didn’t scream “fantasy world” to me, more like “sophisticated and chic”

Archived