Jump to content
About TCB Spoilers... PLEASE do not put spoilers in thread titles as we have some users wishing to remain spoiler free. Please show kindness and respect. Thank you! ×

MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Olivia Rodrigo team accused of copying indie rock band


Teletubby

Featured Posts

ProfessionalClown
2 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Sorry but these are all EXTREMELY common tropes. High school/cheerleader/scrapbook type visuals have been done to death by everyone. A lot of these images are references to other things (Princess Diaries, Hole). The letter hairclips have been a huge mainstream trend since at least 2018. 

The latex gloves, the “sour” hair clips that literally copy the other picture, the cake, using basically the same font for the same idea of the “prom queen rebel”.

those are common but these look identical to eachother. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RainingOnMe

Please... it's literally a high school girl / prom teen breakup theme. Nobody owns the concept or the looks. :toofunny:

Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
Just now, Jill said:

I don't really know what to think tbh. It's ridiculous if true.

A lot of creative directors do steal a lot from indie bands bc they think they can get away bc they’re a bigger person so people will take their side. It’s happened to pretty much 80% of mainstream artists at one point.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jose P
5 minutes ago, Jill said:

I find it hard to believe someone took the time to stalk this band's Instagram to copy their public photos for the biggest star in the world right now thinking they wouldn't get caught. Maybe there was some kind of inspiration, but the whole grunge aesthetic is pretty famous and used by a lot of bands/artists.

 

4 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

Sorry but these are all EXTREMELY common tropes. High school/cheerleader/scrapbook type visuals have been done to death by everyone. A lot of these images are references to other things (Princess Diaries, Hole). The letter hairclips have been a huge mainstream trend since at least 2018. 

Yeah but isn’t it strange that they basically both did the same things? Like, I know it’s a common trope but a lot of this are shot by shot. I mean just look at the latex gloves with cheerleader outfit, that’s not that common either 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
Just now, RainingOnMe said:

Please... it's literally a high school girl / prom teen breakup theme. Nobody owns the concept or the looks. :toofunny:

Look again, half these pictures are like identical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
Just now, Jose P said:

 

Yeah but isn’t it strange that they basically both did the same things? Like, I know it’s a common trope but a lot of this are shot by shot. I mean just look at the latex gloves with cheerleader outfit, that’s not that common either 

The cake thing too and the hair clips spelling the words too. Those aren’t common either. It’s way too sus 

Link to post
Share on other sites
DelusionalGaga

Well, that froot does look familiar. In those situations I do feel kinda sorry for the artist because Olivia probably had no idea that her creative director was stealing these aesthetics from somewhere :rip:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her whole sound is basically a mesh between Taylor, Billie and Lorde, everything about her is derivative from other artists so I'm not surprised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
weed

Definitely took inspiration, ALL from the same source??? pls that's not a coincidence 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephen
2 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

A lot of creative directors do steal a lot from indie bands bc they think they can get away bc they’re a bigger person so people will take their side. 

And it's happening in this thread right now lmfao

Link to post
Share on other sites
thehanyo

Wowwww - I'm usually forgiving of these kinds of charges. All art is inspired by previous art in one way or another. 

But there are WAY too many copies here. I'd never seen a cheerleader with latex gloves on and that hair clip thing is crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pretty Please
9 minutes ago, Jill said:

I find it hard to believe someone took the time to stalk this band's Instagram to copy their public photos for the biggest star in the world right now thinking they wouldn't get caught. Maybe there was some kind of inspiration, but the whole grunge aesthetic is pretty famous and used by a lot of bands/artists.

Some of them were stretches but some of them were too on the nose to be coincidental. Its not “talking time to stalk” its some peoples entire careers to make ideas, do research. She has the biggest label in the world its really not that much resources to look for inspiration online. 
 

and maybe in isolation they wouldnt be serious but theres a lot of different side by sides that when presented together does look suspicious. Notable the one with the gloves and the hair pins

Link to post
Share on other sites
Reality

I think some of you guys need to realize that when people accuse others of "copying" their work, it's not necessarily because of the idea, it's because of the execution. Cheerleaders, cake, and prom are not original concepts, and truthfully, nothing is original. People take inspiration from other people all the time, but when specific things look so similar, then I do think there is a legitimate argument to be made. Like, the latex glove + cheerleader outfit and the hairpins spelling out words? I feel like that's a little too similar.

♦ 𝕁𝕠𝕜𝕖𝕣: 𝔽𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕖 𝕒 𝔻𝕖𝕦𝕩 ♥ || 𝕆𝕔𝕥𝕠𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟜, 𝟚𝟘𝟚𝟜
Link to post
Share on other sites
Levine

Literally the same images. And yeah the search for unknown artists/songs in order to copy them it's like an actually task they give to people who work for labels. It happens all the time.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...