💓 Official visual for Ashnikko's remix of "Plastic Doll" 💓

politics

FL gov signs law preventing universities from "indoctrinating students"

Featured Posts

PartySick

Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida on Tuesday signed legislation requiring the state's public colleges and universities to survey students, professors, and staff members about their political views in an effort to crack down on intellectual "indoctrination" on campuses.

DeSantis, a potential 2024 presidential contender who's closely aligned with former President Donald Trump, threatened to cut funding from state universities that he determines don't promote "intellectual diversity."

During a press conference at a middle school in Fort Myers, the governor said campuses that are "hotbeds for stale ideology" were "not worth tax dollars, and that's not something that we're going to be supporting going forward."

The law, effective July 1, demands that students "be shown diverse ideas and opinions, including those that they may disagree with or find uncomfortable," the state's Department of Education said.

University professors and education experts in Florida have expressed concerns that the law would allow the state government to interfere with teaching; politicize faculty hiring, firing, and promotions; and stifle faculty and student speech.

"I worry that this bill will force a fearful self-consciousness that is not as much about learning and debate as about appearances and playing into an outside audience," Cathy Boehme, a researcher at the Florida Education Association, told the Miami Herald in April.

DeSantis said on Tuesday that he knew "a lot of parents" who were concerned that their kids would be "indoctrinated" in college.

"It used to be thought that a university campus was a place where you'd be exposed to a lot of different ideas," the governor said. "Unfortunately, now the norm is really these are more intellectually repressive environments. You have orthodoxies that are promoted, and other viewpoints are shunned or even suppressed."

I love to tour 🤌🏼
  • LMAO 2
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartySick

• HuffsAhoy

• holy scheisse

• bionic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this global warming thing could hurry the f*ck up already and wash this ridiculous state off the map that'd be great.

Also, I feel like it's worth noting that universities only have an apparent left bias because they teach you facts at universities.

Reality is left-leaning. You can't teach well while ignoring facts.

PartySick

If this global warming thing could hurry the f*ck up already and wash this ridiculous state off the map that'd be great.

I love to tour 🤌🏼
  • Like 7
  • LMAO 4
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
Pennywise

The only "indoctrination" happens in religious schools, what are they on :billie:

It is obvious that someone who goes to a university and gets a broader view of the world WILL oppose the American right wing, anyone with any working brain cells should :ladyhaha:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 2
PartySick

Also, I feel like it's worth noting that universities only have an apparent left bias because they teach you facts at universities.

I love to tour 🤌🏼
  • Like 5
  • YAAAS 4
FudgeyBear

“The law, effective July 1, demands that students "be shown diverse ideas and opinions, including those that they may disagree with or find uncomfortable," the state's Department of Education said.”

It’s almost as if the students are getting a *gasp* LIBERAL ARTS EDUCATION!?!

bionic

i.e. mandating the airing of authoritarian views

Republicans are so keen on 'freedom of speech' but have to force colleges to promote them against the wishes of its studentship :toofunny: 

buy bionic
  • Like 2
bionic
2 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Not just facts; they also teach critical thinking, logic, historic events, analytical reasoning, etc :toofunny: 

buy bionic
  • Thanks 2
Pennywise
1 minute ago, PartySick said:

Like, the whole "indoctrination" thing is a stupid lie. I go to what perhaps is THE most leftist university in my country, or even in the general area of the country. But I've seen no indoctrination unless I looked specifically for leftist student clubs :poot:

Non-leftist people see any idea that does not fit in their tiny minds and go "what about us!??????!!!!!!!" :laughga:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE
  • Like 2
ThisGuyTony

Are they that afraid of a younger, educated generation not voting Republican anymore? :ladyhaha:

• LMAO 1
Jill

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.
  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 4
PartySick
Just now, Pennywise said:

Like, the whole "indoctrination" thing is a stupid lie. I go to what perhaps is THE most leftist university in my country, or even in the general area of the country. But I've seen no indoctrination unless I looked specifically for leftist student clubs :poot:

Non-leftist people see any idea that does not fit in their tiny minds and go "what about us!??????!!!!!!!" :laughga:

"Why don't they teach conservative ideas in schools?!"

Like the imaginary ones where trickle down economics works, where women can just turn off their ovaries if they get raped, where being gay is a choice, where vaccines contain microchips in them, etc etc? :enigma:

Gee, I wonder why :enigma:

I love to tour 🤌🏼
  • LMAO 1
ARTPOP
Just now, Jill said:

Say it to the ignorants here who say “extreme left” to barely left ideas :saladga:

This is what happens when you give the right an environment to breed 

• Like 2
bionic
4 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

Are they that afraid of a younger, educated generation not voting Republican anymore? :ladyhaha:

Republican state governments have decimated the youth education system in at least 20 states, so don't worry about that :gum: The majority of these indoctrinated kids will never go to college

buy bionic
PartySick
1 minute ago, Aphroditus said:

Say it to the ignorants here who say “extreme left” to barely left ideas :saladga:

This is what happens when you give the right an environment to breed 

Slightly related but I feel like the American right can't even be called "conservative". They don't have beliefs, they just abuse their power to get money and more power.

5 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

Yes :enigma:

these-are-the-mostly-highly-educated-sta

1200px-ElectoralCollege2020.svg.png

I love to tour 🤌🏼
  • Like 1
RichAssPiss

Republicans are literally in a war with reality. Next is burning all the books that dissent. 

• Like 1