💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lorde: No CD’s this time

Justin Drew Bieber

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Juanlittlem said:

I mean, a vinyl can end up in a landfill too, why would you choose to release just vinyls :messga:

Exactly. And the amount of energy and material they require to be manufactured too. So I guess in a way, it's hit or miss whether she's actually doing good for the environment lmao

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CDs were a great way to sell albums since they cost less than vinyls and can be played mostly everywhere but that was before the digital era came. Most devices dont even come with a cd player anymore lol

since CDs were a quick and cheaper (than vinyls) way to acquire albums mostly in 00s, people dont need them anymore

as for her releasing vinyl versions, I always felt like Vinyls are actually the real deal and CDs were minions to boost sales etc.

And vinyls are more expensive than CDs which can cause less production demand than CDs, causing less pollution? Maybe? :bear:

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

Future Lovers

Imagine dragging someone who’s at least trying to lessen the footprint she’s leaving behind just because you don’t get to have a CD in your collection. Hell so many that’ve dragged said they’re not even gonna buy it, you’re just out here bitching for other people. Yes, a vinyl could also end up in a landfill (although as has been noted they last much longer, these are limited runs so their won’t be mass quantities available, and I’m sure that the packaging follows the trend in vinyl production of the last few years and is biodegradable) but she’s at least done something to reduce the dangerous bi-products that come with this. That’s more initiative than I’m sure many people here have taken. 

lilboyblue

I admire the gesture but it kind of waters down her message. Why couldn't she have gone all the way?

It feels like being eco-friendly with a caveat. But I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's the label who pushed to at least have vinyls. The vinyl record market after all has a bigger market share than CDs these days.

And it seems the vinyls are a limited run?

js4754394o9823
3 hours ago, AJRocketMan said:

I’m not excited for her music anymore anyways, but that sucks because CDs have the best sound quality by far. That’s actually not an opinion, it’s a fact. You can Google it for proof.

Ammm, that's not true lol

CD - lossless 16bit

HiRes - lossless 24bit

Even vinyls are better, since there's no compression 

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

NFRatwell

I mean there’s definitely a way to produce CDs as safe for the environment as Vinyls (paper covers). But it’s her art

Anderson123

I wish she'd had done something like a limited edition digipack or something like that. Is making CDs that bad ?

bluemonkey
2 hours ago, SOON said:

CDs were a great way to sell albums since they cost less than vinyls and can be played mostly everywhere but that was before the digital era came. Most devices dont even come with a cd player anymore lol

since CDs were a quick and cheaper (than vinyls) way to acquire albums mostly in 00s, people dont need them anymore

as for her releasing vinyl versions, I always felt like Vinyls are actually the real deal and CDs were minions to boost sales etc.

And vinyls are more expensive than CDs which can cause less production demand than CDs, causing less pollution? Maybe? :bear:

Yeah that’s why I always wonder why gen zers are into cassettes, I remember as a child I hated cassettes and was over joyed when cds were produced as it sounds better and you can finally skip songs than constantly overworking your fingers pushing the forward and back button. Sure it’s collectible and great novelty as a nostalgic item but if that’s the case then I would prefer vinyl to get that “vintage” vibe. 

BUtterfield 8

Idk why y’all are coming for her?

she’s doing one small thing to help the environment 

AJRocketMan
3 hours ago, kukuryku666 said:

Ammm, that's not true lol

CD - lossless 16bit

HiRes - lossless 24bit

Even vinyls are better, since there's no compression 

CDs can hold more data and are capable of more dynamic range. Also, you’re confusing data compression with dynamic range compression. CDs use the FLAC format, which is lossless and does not compress. However, CDs are capable of using more dynamic range compression without sacrificing quality, unlike vinyl which will actually screw up the grooves. Vinyl showcases plenty of dynamics but can’t use too much compression, which doesn’t work well for dance music. CDs are better for dance music than vinyl because they can handle more compression (therefore making it sound punchier and more intense) without sacrificing quality and detail so long as you don’t overuse it. Thankfully, Lorde isn’t dance music so this isn’t an issue.

MadreMonster
1 hour ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

Idk why y’all are coming for her?

she’s doing one small thing to help the environment 

To me it just seems performative. I hope, as a society, we don’t think we are really making a difference unless we make environmental impact change at a macro level.

This is like fast fashion brands making jeans out of plastic water bottles. Does VERY little to seem like the consumer is doing a lot and creates the illusion that we have the power to change the climate crisis at a micro level.

I don’t think it’s all bad and I think her intentions are good - we need to make daily lifestyle changes but we won’t accomplish anything at just focusing on that level. But if CD sales weren’t declining, we all know she’d be selling CDs. They saw an opportunity to seem “woke” through explaining why she won’t be selling music through a declining media.

MadreMonster
4 hours ago, Rio said:

Exactly. And the amount of energy and material they require to be manufactured too. So I guess in a way, it's hit or miss whether she's actually doing good for the environment lmao

It’s not changing the environment one bit. I think we passed the phase in society of thinking environmental change can happen through tiny tweaks in our daily lives. 
Sure, it’s a nice sentiment… but it would be more impressive if she donated sales from the album to causes that will prevent or help prevent the acceleration of climate change.

LandonM170
8 hours ago, alsemanche said:

CDs aren't collected like vinyl and they don't last as long. A vinyl will be with you for a looong time and collectors  often buy them second hand when people sell them, CDs don't go through the same cycle (+ the vinyl are limited edition I believe)

I have a CD collection of 175+ and I have been collecting CDs for years before I started vinyl. Also, CDs are so much better to collect because they are usually cheaper and a lot more different editions then vinyl.

Archived