💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Doja’s Planet Her gets lost in a celestial soup of R&B & trap |album review

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Slant Magazine 3/5
Review: Doja Cat’s Planet Her Gets Lost in a Celestial Soup of R&B and Trap Trends 
The songs comprise a nebulous mass not unlike the swirling galaxy of the album’s cover art.

Following the crossover success of “Say So,” one might expect Doja to set up camp in a similar disco-adjacent milieu, and “Kiss Me More,” the first single from rapper and singer’s third album, Planet Her, does just that. But the rest of the album leans heavily on more contemporary sounds, making it hard to differentiate it from any number of other recent R&B efforts.

Despite some subtle shifts in tone from track to track - as on standouts the reggaeton-lite “Naked” and “Options,” which pairs Bansuri-style flute with a wobbly bassline and skittering trap beat - the songs comprise a nebulous mass not unlike the swirling galaxy.

Doja acknowledges the inevitable comparisons between herself and other female rappers, like Nicki Minaj,  Cardi, when she concedes, “Thank you, Nicki, I love you,” at the end of “Get Into It (Yuh),” but the moment feels less like a tribute and more like a nervous kissing of the ring.:awkney:

A-list guests Grande and the Weeknd prove her rising star power, she deserves material that’s actually out of this world.

source

doja.jpg

Vulture
On Planet Her, she casts a wide net, gliding effortlessly from one style to the next. In quick succession, she sends us the romantic Afrobeat anthem “Woman,” the airy reggaeton song “Naked,” the hyperpop banger “Payday,” the squeaky swag rap “Get Into It (Yuh),” the lilting bedroom jam “Need to Know,” and the perfect pop-rap ballad with Grande, “I Don’t Do Drugs.”

“Get Into It (Yuh)” takes its inspiration from manic early Nicki verses and shouts her out by name at the end.

On “Payday,” Doja nearly outweirds Young Thug, the king of delightfully odd vocal deliveries.

Ari’s in her element on the bubbly “I Don’t Do Drugs.”

In the opener, “Woman,” Doja outlines the different roles she inhabits: the businesswoman, the lover, the captivating dancer, the mean girl. She details the stresses that make life difficult for talented professional women, showcasing a knack for heady message rap that she never follows through on.

Planet Her’s pacing slows in the middle, but even then it doesn’t lose much steam: The maudlin “You Right,” “Love to Dream,” and “Been Like This” still blow by too quickly to grate. Doja is a blast even when it feels as if she’s barely trying. The deep cut “Imagine” — the zillionth batch of sultry pickup lines this album has to offer — entertains without saying all that much.

source

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

MaybeKermit

Even though I like her visuals etc, for some reason I just can't get into her.. and I can't figure out why.

Something about the whole package looks just a bit too fabricated imo

BillieGOAT

I am so excited to hear her on a hyperpop song!! Also the Ari collab sounds like all i wanted and more :bradley: I won

Chlorine Sevigny

Don’t remember anticipating an album this much since Chromatica. It’s nowhere near that level of anticipation lol but she has bangers and she has visuals, flow, bars, vocals. She is the total package to me and I can’t wait to see how this album expands on what she’s already delivered. 

DenDenTired
44 minutes ago, Funkymonkey said:

Even though I like her visuals etc, for some reason I just can't get into her.. and I can't figure out why.

Something about the whole package looks just a bit too fabricated imo

She’s been like this since before she blew up. I’ve liked her for about six years 

Chic

Super excited for this, she’s one of the most promising artists of recent years! I love a spacey concept too.

Agunimon

I'm excited for this album which is weird because her music thus far I have not been interested in, but I really feel like this will get me into her. I like her music released thus far from this album way more than anything before it.

Teletubby

another review:enigma:
"Planet Her leaves something to be desired, an album with one too many songs that blend into the existing pop noise
"One of the many differences between Doja Cat and Ariana Grande is vocal caliber, and on “I Don’t Do Drugs” Grande’s voice outshines Doja Cat’s with ease."
source

i'm just a baby and @Juanlittlem is my ❀*·ꕤ. ☁️eternal enemy🌩️。˚❀

huttont
4 hours ago, Lady Ava Gaga Max said:

“Get Into It (Yuh)” takes its inspiration from manic early Nicki verses and shouts her out by name at the end.

Ari’s in her element on the bubbly “I Don’t Do Drugs.”

I thought Ari would be more in her element if she was on Get Into It (Yuh)

• Teletubby changed the title to Doja’s Planet Her gets lost in a celestial soup of R&B & trap |album review

Archived