💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

Christina Vidal on "Taina" cancellation + PCD offer

phantasmas

Featured Posts

phantasmas

taina-at-20-actress-christina-vidal-inte

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-06-13/latino-gap-christina-vidal-recounts-taina-role-nickelodeon

Fifteen-year-old Taina Morales was a fictional character, but she represented the Latina everygirl of the 2000s: a passionate young woman with stadium-sized dreams, a boundless love for her family and a pair of hoop earrings for all occasions.

Created by Maria Perez-Brown (“Gullah Gullah Island,” “Model Latina”), the Nickelodeon teen sitcom “Taina” premiered Jan. 14, 2001. The show revolved around Puerto Rican diva-in-training Taina Morales and her fellow students at the Manhattan School of the Performing Arts, a fictional stand-in for the actual New York City fame factory, Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts.

With a diverse cast of young actors — and featuring cameos by now-superstars Luis Fonsi, Shakira, Kelly Rowland and Solange Knowles — the show marked a turning point for kids’ television in the United States, where Latino characters, and more generally actors of color, were few and far between. “Taina” came on the air following a 1999 boycott of CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox protesting the “brownout” or lack of Latino TV shows and lead characters on the major networks and just months after Nickelodeon debuted the more male-centric, Mexican American sitcom, “The Brothers García” (for which a reboot was recently ordered by HBO Max). Despite the fact that ratings doubled in its second season, “Taina” was canceled in June 2002.

Spoiler

LA Times: What was Nickelodeon’s explanation when they told you that the show wouldn’t be renewed for a third season?
CV: They didn’t really say anything … just that they’d replace it with a show about Master P and his son. But I think it had something to do with me getting a record deal, and just not doing everything they wanted me to do. I wasn’t new to the business then — I was 20. I had a lawyer, I had people around me who knew my rights. This was a time when they had kids do a whole bunch of stuff without having any rights.

LA Times: So when you when you left the show, you decided to focus on music. What happened with that record deal?
CV: I was signed to MCA. They wanted to make me a star. But a year later, the whole company got shut down and bought by some other company. The president of that company sat down with me and asked if I want to be the lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls. I was like, “So you want me to dress up in lingerie and sing these songs?” I wanted to be a solo artist, but they ultimately shelved my album.

"Taina" is yet to be available on Paramount+ but all episodes are available on Youtube along w/ the original soundtrack 

phantasmas

this topic could go under Entertainment News as well i guess  :ohwell: mods are free to move this if they please

Cello

I loved watching Taina when I was younger :heart: I still remember the catchy af theme tune!

Shook that she was offered to be in PCD, I can't imagine the lead being anyone but Nicole.

she/her 👹🖤 | 🚫Tabloid Junkie🎶

phantasmas
20 minutes ago, Cello said:

I loved watching Taina when I was younger :heart: I still remember the catchy af theme tune!

Shook that she was offered to be in PCD, I can't imagine the lead being anyone but Nicole.

17 minutes ago, DontDoubtDavid said:

Ugh, the theme song bring back such memories :heart:

let's not forget this legendary performance :legend:(I wanted to be a part of Blue Mascara so bad, lmao) 

Archived