Jump to content
movie

Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jon M. Chu respond to In the Heights Colorism 


BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

ProfessionalClown
3 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

That black man is not even Latino in the movie :rip: 

Benny does not speak Spanish.

Also note: In the actual musical Nina’s father does not accept Benny in part due to colorism. 

They completely took that out of this movie. 

Because that ish would’ve been called problematic af from both sides.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • ProfessionalClown

    25

  • Morphine Prince

    23

  • JusKeepBreathin

    10

  • Space Cowboy

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m sorry but this may sound rude, but Latin representation that looks like me is FAR LESS than African American, Afro Latin, and in general dark skinned POC’s. Let’s us have a damn movie for once 

Call me racist if you want I don’t give a single damn but Latin people that look like me (brown skinned but not dark skinned or light skinned) barely get ANY representation and if we do it’s a stereot

The way that actual latin people, especially Mexicans, are calling her out rn. Apparently representation only matters for dark skinned people in the community. As someone who is brown but not dar

Morphine Prince
Just now, ProfessionalClown said:

I mentioned everyone else because you already mentioned Afro-Latinos.

again this was from HIS EXPERIENCE before 2005. I don’t even know when he went to Washington heights (presumably 2004 or before) so the characters were already there.

In 2004, Afro-Latinos still were a large presence there. 

Not an excuse. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
Just now, ProfessionalClown said:

Because that ish would’ve been called problematic af from both sides.

No. It’s part of the musical. At least know what the hell you are talking about before being passionately colorist. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JusKeepBreathin
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

That black man is not even Latino in the movie :rip: 

Benny does not speak Spanish.

Also note: In the actual musical Nina’s father does not accept Benny in part due to colorism. 

They completely took that out of this movie. 

You just said this isn't about Latinos. And I said this IS about Latinos BECAUSE there is a black man with the lead. You are not being very clear and go back and forth. 

 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

You just said this isn't about Latinos. And I said this IS about Latinos BECAUSE there is a black man with the lead. You are not being very clear and go back and forth. 

 

You are the one misunderstanding and playing dumb as usual. You know exactly what I meant with my post. Go re-read if you didn’t. 

  • LMAO 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
4 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

No. It’s part of the musical. At least know what the hell you are talking about before being passionately colorist. 

“Passionately colorist” I don’t give a * about skin color but this entire issue is completely blown out of proportion. can we not have a single damn movie that doesn’t portray Latinos as drug abusive gangsters or cheap sex workers??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
5 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

In 2004, Afro-Latinos still were a large presence there. 

Not an excuse. 

 

“nOt aN ExCuSe” didn’t really hit as hard as you thought there. There’s also a huge presence of them in multiple parts of NYC, let’s just make every single movie or show about NYC very very specifically inclusive solely to Afro-Latinos then. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, ProfessionalClown said:

“Passionately colorist” I don’t give a * about skin color but this entire issue is completely blown out of proportion. can we not have a single damn movie that doesn’t portray Latinos as drug abusive gangsters or cheap sex workers??

You obviously do if you're so bothered with Afro-Latinos demanding representation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
Just now, ProfessionalClown said:

“nOt aN ExCuSe” didn’t really hit as hard as you thought there. There’s also a huge presence of them in multiple parts of NYC, let’s just make every single movie or show about NYC very very specifically inclusive solely to Afro-Latinos then. 

We are talking about THIS movie, in THIS setting. Stay on topic. No matter what you believe, it wasn't an accurate representation and you can stay mad about it. 

  • LMAO 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
3 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

We are talking about THIS movie, in THIS setting. Stay on topic. No matter what you believe, it wasn't an accurate representation and you can stay mad about it. 

So THIS movie and THIS setting had a specific vibe, a specific time, a specific group of people. There. Solved it for you. 
 

It’s a specific group of people :) now stop with your superiority complex 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JusKeepBreathin
2 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You are the one misunderstanding and playing dumb as usual. You know exactly what I meant with my post. Go re-read if you didn’t. 

Literal brown skin Latinos should give up roles to black skin Latinos people. When the black skinned Latinos have more opportunities in Hollywood because they can play both Latinos and African Americans. Brown skin Latinos can only play brown skin Latinos. Yet Latinos are the biggest minority in the US but have much less roles in movie or TV.

Again I am only saying this because literally no one in this movie is "white passing"

 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
4 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You obviously do if you're so bothered with Afro-Latinos demanding representation. 

It’s because we finally have a decent movie that portrayed Latinos well and there’s STILL outrage over it not being “diverse enough” when there’s like no “white” main or even minor character. It’s diverse as hell.

Link to post
Share on other sites
ProfessionalClown
Just now, JusKeepBreathin said:

Literal brown skin Latinos should give up roles to black skin Latinos people. When the black skinned Latinos have more opportunities in Hollywood because they can play both Latinos and African Americans. Brown skin Latinos can only play brown skin Latinos. Yet Latinos are the biggest minority in the US but have much less roles in movie or TV.

Again I am only saying this because literally no one in this movie is "white passing"

 

THANK YOU

Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
Just now, ProfessionalClown said:

So THIS movie and THIS setting had a specific vibe, a specific time, a specific group of people. There. Solved it for you. 
 

It’s a specific group of people :) now stop with your superiority complex 

No, the group of people who were not represented were Afro-latinos.

AFRO-LATINOS

AFRO-LATINOS

AFRO-LATINOS

I know you hate it, but they exist and they exist in Washington Heights in greater numbers than this movie portrayed 

  • LMAO 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Literal brown skin Latinos should give up roles to black skin Latinos people. When the black skinned Latinos have more opportunities in Hollywood because they can play both Latinos and African Americans. Brown skin Latinos can only play brown skin Latinos. Yet Latinos are the biggest minority in the US but have much less roles in movie or TV.

Again I am only saying this because literally no one in this movie is "white passing"

 

Idk wtf you keep mentioning white passing because not once have I said that. Move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...