Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jon M. Chu respond to In the Heights Colorism 

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

phantasmas
13 hours ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Did they even watch the movie? There was a lot of diversity from what I remember. I mean a LOT of the people weren’t “white passing”. A lot of them reminded me of family I have here in the US and Mexico, friends, etc who are also Latino. 

Theres a lot of dark skinned characters and dancers/background characters. So I’m not really sure 

thats the issue... dark skinned characters are seemingly always pushed to the back (or made out as villains) 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s always a reason to b**ch.  someone’s always being slighted.  It gets so old and is quickly beginning to fall on deaf ears as folks try to block out the incessant complaining.   

13 hours ago, ProfessionalClown said:

The way that actual latin people, especially Mexicans, are calling her out rn. Apparently representation only matters for dark skinned people in the community.

As someone who is brown but not dark skinned it’s amazing seeing people who look like me in a bit movie like this. I saw people that looked like my nana, my Tia, my tios, my mom, me, my friends, all that. I saw people that looked like me for once in a long time. Apparently its “not good enough” like???

Dark-skinned Afro-Latin people also just wanted to see people who look like their nanas, their tias, their tios, their moms, and them. That's all really.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Kadikaado

First of all I am not seeing anyone in this picture nearly as "white passing", second, we see a lot of black folks representation on the USA media, but we rarely see latin representation, at least not in major filmes and series and they are 18.4% against 12% of blacks.

I am authistic, so don't be offended if I make a mess sometimes.

ProfessionalClown
16 minutes ago, gag said:

Dark-skinned Afro-Latin people also just wanted to see people who look like their nanas, their tias, their tios, their moms, and them. That's all really.

I’m sorry but this may sound rude, but Latin representation that looks like me is FAR LESS than African American, Afro Latin, and in general dark skinned POC’s. Let’s us have a damn movie for once 

ProfessionalClown

Call me racist if you want I don’t give a single damn but Latin people that look like me (brown skinned but not dark skinned or light skinned) barely get ANY representation and if we do it’s a stereotype. 

Being Mexican we gotta stick to our OWN shows and movies to see decent representation. At least dark skinned POC’s have their own media in the United States and have their own media community. We’re stuck with practically nothing half the damn time. 

can we not have THIS ONE MOVIE. JUST ONE. Jesus Christ. It’s not that damn hard. I’m sick of this. It seems like when you talk bout POC representation is only entails black POC’s. I’m Native American, Mexican, and Filipino. I get practically 0 representation in most movies and shows on all 3 sides. 

ProfessionalClown
59 minutes ago, phantasmas said:

thats the issue... dark skinned characters are seemingly always pushed to the back (or made out as villains) 

Maybe they, idk, just weren’t good actors??? You aren’t entitled to a role bc of your skin color.

The movie represented many shades. There was a light skinned person, someone who was obviously mixed races, someone who was an Afro-Latina, a dark skinned guy, there were MANY shades off people in the movie.

phantasmas
12 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Maybe they, idk, just weren’t good actors??? You aren’t entitled to a role bc of your skin color.

The movie represented many shades. There was a light skinned person, someone who was obviously mixed races, someone who was an Afro-Latina, a dark skinned guy, there were MANY shades off people in the movie.

im not about to debate with you lmfao :teehee: go read up on colorism in the entertainment industry since youre so confused about why people are upset about this :huntyga:

ProfessionalClown
3 minutes ago, phantasmas said:

im not about to debate with you lmfao :teehee: go read up on colorism in the entertainment industry since youre so confused about why people are upset about this :huntyga:

I know what it is lmao, you ain’t gonna debate cuz you have no argument. Easy as that.

let us have some damn representation when we barely get any. There were a lot of people in the movie who were Afro latin but us in the middle get practically 0 representation that isn’t a cholo gangster or “sexy Latina”. 

JusKeepBreathin
6 hours ago, phantasmas said:

One of the lead roles belongs to a black man. What are you talking about?

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Morphine Prince
7 hours ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Call me racist if you want I don’t give a single damn but Latin people that look like me (brown skinned but not dark skinned or light skinned) barely get ANY representation and if we do it’s a stereotype. 

Being Mexican we gotta stick to our OWN shows and movies to see decent representation. At least dark skinned POC’s have their own media in the United States and have their own media community. We’re stuck with practically nothing half the damn time. 

can we not have THIS ONE MOVIE. JUST ONE. Jesus Christ. It’s not that damn hard. I’m sick of this. It seems like when you talk bout POC representation is only entails black POC’s. I’m Native American, Mexican, and Filipino. I get practically 0 representation in most movies and shows on all 3 sides. 

You being represented and others being done a disservice are not mutually exclusive. 

BlingNotTheMusic

I feel like what isn't being said here is that, even though I personally don't agree or resonate with this, movie studios want to appeal to white audiences because (statistically and from a business standpoint) they have more money to spend to see this movie. 

White people (bless their hearts) typically are more apt to be interested in a movie with white people OR not dark skinned POC. It's the cold truth of business and marketing in America. Bonus: We are living in post-Trump America, which just makes things worse for equal rights all around :saladga:

EDIT: I personally think we should be grateful and glad that this movie is being released on this scale AT ALL and it is, in a way, working towards breaking the glass ceiling. I'm also white though, so my opinion has less validity in this discussion.

Emvee

Being mestizo is now “white-passing.” 
It’s so dismissive.

Latinos get disproportionately less representation than everyone else (despite being the 2nd largest demographic) and when we finally get represented... we’re too white-passing. 

I have to laugh. 

ProfessionalClown
44 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

You being represented and others being done a disservice are not mutually exclusive. 

question, have you actually seen the movie. 

Archived