Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was/Is Nicki Minaj really the "Queen of Rap"...?

Chlorine Sevigny

Featured Posts

holy scheisse
5 hours ago, Queen Neyde said:

a queen does not lose it when a new it girl appears,

Is Madonna a queen :bear:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MonsterofFame

I see Nicki as too much of a pop star to be deemed "Queen of Rap." She can spit verses really well when she raps, but most of her successful songs rely on a pop chorus that she didn't write and/or a great instrumental that makes her rapping worth listening to.

Counter that with Cardi, Missy, and other mainstream rappers where her voice and delivery ARE the reason for their music's success. 

flyaway

Well, a massive part of her success is due to her pop feats so I wouldn't consider her exclusively rap. 

Normally a queen doesn't constantly call herself a queen. So there's that. 

Mister G

She’s the queen of rap to someone for sure. I used to think she was paving her way to that especially after the success she had starting off in the early 2010’s…then after Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded I don’t know something about her personality changed and she became a super diva and borderline mean.

hardcore1996
8 hours ago, Bebe said:

I wish I had a little more time to respond to this right now - but the way this site discredits Nicki's impact and success is 100% misoginoir and reveals a complete lack of understanding and respect for rap and black culture

Sorry but can you explain how it is misoginoir when everyone else mentioned in the tread (minus iggy but she doesnt count imo) is a WOC? Yeah she’s successful, but her “impact” really comes from the fact that there was a void left in hip hop for the hypersexual, hyper feminine glamour barbie since lil kim went to jail and never made a successful comeback after and the new generation of kids thought nicki invented that.

Pablo

Was she? Yes, her career peak she was EVERYWHERE. Almost every track had Nicki on in. :laughga:

Is she now? Not really, her antics have caught up to her.

Don't visit my profile

ProfessionalClown

Nope lmao. That’s MC Lyte imo. Not commercially successful but could destroy every single other MC in the game then AND now. 

ProfessionalClown
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

Was she? Yes, her career peak she was EVERYWHERE. Almost every track had Nicki on in. :laughga:

Is she now? Not really, her antics have caught up to her.

Well being everywhere is good but idk if that means queen of rap tho. She was just very popular.

her skills were by far her best on her mixtapes tbh tho. 

CatelynnMarie

Nicki for me will always hold a top spot. Her talent truly is incredible. 

Azealia and Qveen Herby are up there for me as well, but I mean, Nicki is Nicki and she is just, a force. I wish she didn't do as many features, but eh. 

holy scheisse
42 minutes ago, flyaway said:

No, Olivia is :bear:

Have to agree:vegas:

DenDenTired
4 hours ago, OutsideWoodys said:

Cardi b is a pop star 

Nicki minaj is the queen of rap

What are you talking about? 80% of Nickis career is pop while Cardi mainly only raps. 

StrawberryBlond

In terms of queendom, there's two schools of thought on that - best rapper (subjective) and most successful rapper (objective). From a subjective standpoint, I'd not class her as the queen. She has talent but I find a lot of her rhymes juvenile and her little mannerisms can be very irritating and a lot of her songs are sub-par. But from an objective standpoint, like her or not, she was the first successful female rapper in a long time and brought back the concept of female rappers again. She was the only successful one for a while until Iggy Azalea came along, albeit temporarily. Then Iggy fell off and then Cardi came along and the rest in history. Now there's room for multiple women in the game, with the likes of Megan and Doja also getting their hits lately. Now that there's competition, suddenly, Nicki's relevancy faded fast. And that's what tells me that she didn't become queen of rap out of creating good music but merely because she had a monopoly on female rap for so long. It could have been any female rapper who was lucky enough to come up at the time. And who knows what would've happened if these girls had all been active at the same time? I think we only put up with her attitude problems for so long as well because she was the only big name female rapper and having her as a feature could bring you a hit. But when other women came up who were not only talented but much nicer it was like, we don't need to deal with Nicki's diva antics anymore. She was claiming to be the queen on her debut album. Pride was always going to come before a fall with her.

Rahrahbitchson

Cardi: Bodak yellow, i like it, UP, WAP and she stan Gaga

Nicki: Anaconda and she doesnt have any more songs as impactful as that and as Cardi's and she doesnt stan Gaga. And she fade away as soon Cardi came up

Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙

Archived