Todrick Hall: Slavery worked

Rebel

Featured Posts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rebel
3 minutes ago, ToxicHot said:

Why are people reacting negatively towards this? I get the point he’s making about institutional racism... I guess it comes off as insensitive? :selena:

Because he's known for not paying his people, not wanting too many black men on his videos and he's saying slavery worked.

Rebel
Just now, Amidana said:

he's more than just Taylor's friend 🤨

Yeah but I was replying to clearly a Taylor stan, it would be easier for them to identify him.

rasclautmangos

This is embarrassing.

Imagine a Jewish person saying "the concentration camps served their purpose." What gross thing to say.

ToxicHot
8 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Because he's known for not paying his people, not wanting too many black men on his videos and he's saying slavery worked.

OH! Okay. Didn’t know that. Yeah this is definitely hypocritical to say something like that. :smh:

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

PartySick
23 minutes ago, ToxicHot said:

I think I get the point he’s making about institutional racism... I guess it just comes across as insensitive? :selena:

Idk if it's because I just worked a 12 hour shift but I don't know what point he's trying to make :bear:

🖤

Serial Chiller
9 minutes ago, ToxicHot said:

OH! Okay. Didn’t know that. Yeah this is definitely hypocritical to say something like that. :smh:

You don't even have to account for his history or context to see how fcked up this is. It's like saying "Shitty things happened for a reason, and we wouldnt be strong and tough if not for the shitty thing"

No, shitty things happened because people were being shitty. 

8 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Idk if it's because I just worked a 12 hour shift but I don't know what point he's trying to make :bear:

I think he's trying to say something about community infighting vs. group solidarity

"they hoped we'd still be here today fighting and trying to take down our own" as in getting Black people to attack each other vs. focusing on more overarching systems and oppressors that perpetuate racism? and "uplift your own" as a plea for solidarity in the face of such? like to not get undermined or too distracted from the bigger fish

"slavery worked" was way too spicy a way to start for the rest of his point to sink in though, really sank the chances of delivery by including that, especially in a medium like Twitter

I don't really know anything else about the guy and how hypocritical or not he is tho, only what other people in this thread have already brought up about him :bear:

⚡🐲

GagaSuperfan1

I get what he’s saying. Historically speaking anyone that was oppressed by their society or rulers experienced those with power trying to turn the people on each other. It’s what people have done for centuries, it is something that is still apart of our country & happens today, & unfortunately there is still systemic racism, economic inequality & decades of trauma associated with our history. I think Todrick is trying to say, don’t turn on each other, it’s the man we need to stand up to & fight not each other. He’s saying we have to be aware of what’s going on, we have to be aware as a society. Slavery didn’t just happen, & when you think about flaws in our justice system, when you think about how we criminalize those with disabilities & poor mental health. Or how those on the poverty line live purely to put money into the pockets of the privileged. There’s a lot that needs to change. Slavery didn’t just happen & we have to be careful we don’t fall into harmful roles as society that demean & dehumanize others. Maybe I am the only weird one here. I know what it’s like to be homeless & have nothing, or be poor & have others capitalize on that, I know what it’s like to have a health care system & judicial system that doesn’t serve vulnerable adults or those that need aid, help & treatment. I love Marina’s “New America,” to me it’s all about those who have profited off the poor & working man now having to pay their dues. I picture she may be singing about the insanely rich & wealthy on this country that will need to pay more taxes & essentially be more apart of helping the people they capitalize off that have nothing, where they have the American Dream & more. Anyway I don’t know if that makes sense but that’s what I think & got about it.

Chromatography
6 minutes ago, PEZ said:

I think he's trying to say something about community infighting vs. group solidarity

"they hoped we'd still be here today fighting and trying to take down our own" as in getting Black people to attack each other vs. focusing on more overarching systems and oppressors that perpetuate racism? and "uplift your own" as a plea for solidarity in the face of such? like to not get undermined or too distracted from the bigger fish

"slavery worked" was way too spicy a way to start for the rest of his point to sink in though, really sank the chances of delivery by including that, especially in a medium like Twitter

I don't really know anything else about the guy and how hypocritical or not he is tho, only what other people in this thread have already brought up about him :bear:

this. i read it as “they tried to pit us against each other with slavery, and it worked, right now we’re divided.” 

the delivery was poor but i *think* i understand what he was going for 

HEARTSTOP

Now, I don't like Todrick but is it just me who's reading this as "they (slavers) got what they wanted from us" instead of "slavery worked as an efficient societal system"?

EDIT: Basically what the person above me said.

IDGAF

GagaSuperfan1
1 minute ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Now, I don't like Todrick but is it just me who's reading this as "they (slavers) got what they wanted from us" instead of "slavery works as an efficient societal system"?

EDIT: Basically what the person above me said.

That’s the way I read it too. Stand up to the man!!! 🤘🎸

NCgaga

Lol- I know y’all have more of A mental capacity then reading past “slavery worked”- he is making a point- worded controversially. He isn’t saying he is pro slavery lol. 

Helxig

Bad wording, but he's saying something like  'unfortunately, what the white man was trying to achieve with slavery has worked, and black people are still to this day racist against themselves and each other. We can still prove them wrong, uplift other black people and make change'

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

TimisaMonster

Yikes...just on the brink of his new album...

Giving very Kanye "slavery is a choice"...:saladga:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Archived