💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

elijahfan
7 minutes ago, Pretty Please said:

So if my friend calls me the f slur but she means it in a lighthearted way calling me effeminate that means its ok cos it wasnt INTENDED to offend me? 

Well... yeah. Don't act like friends don't sometimes call each other terrible words for fun.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
littlepotter
6 minutes ago, Lilbit said:

I know non-binary, and queer Latinos who still laugh at the term latinx. 

And..? There are non-binary people who don't use neopronouns. "Laughing" at them is a whole other level of disrespectful. 

4 minutes ago, Pretty Please said:

So if my friend calls me the f slur but she means it in a lighthearted way calling me effeminate that means its ok cos it wasnt INTENDED to offend me? 

16 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

No, not all derogatory words are inherently derogatory, like the n-word which is racist in nature even if a certain someone uses it in reference to music. That word would be offensive to every person it targets, but there are words that are only offensive in context or depending on the person's experience with it, which is proven by the fact that there are many people who are latinx or asian who don't find chola or orient offensive, and the definition of the words. Still glad they changed it to be more modern and inclusive but there would have been extremely more backlash if the words chola and orient were inherently derogatory in themselves, Interscope wouldn't have let her release it anyway

Figoat is inherently derogatory

chaeri pls

Wet Fire

Contextually both versions are written well. No need to "update" the original.

Pennywise

With the amount of stretching some of you do to defend the original lyrics I feel like we might need a chiropractor or something :huntyga:

Like, calm down, the original is still there, no one "cancelled" Gaga over those lyrics :bear:

Y'all really can't handle any slight criticism against Gaga? Grow a thicker skin, pls. 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Cookie Tookie

While all you queens are arguing about certain words based off performative wokeness and how allegedly offensive they are, I'm here unabashedly enjoying this amazing song that saved many people's lives including mine. It's like the whole message of this song flew over your head.

LittleMonster20

It’s getting comical now. Like actually stop.

Words are just words. No one meant harm with any of these song lyrics they probably just used some of these words because they fitted better lyrically.

RabbitHeart
48 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Tbh I remember people complaining about the offensive lyrics when the song first came out, so I dunno about that

I remember a bunch of news articles by POC criticizing the lyrics in 2011. I think the biggest change is that now more wh*te people care :laughga:

AshIey

As a Latina (not Latinx) I was never offended by the lyrics. I actually remember appreciating that latinas were referenced in the song. Yes, Chola can be interpreted as a derogatory term, but in my culture growing up it was mainly seen as a certain style people had.

Agunimon
Just now, RabbitHeart said:

I remember a bunch of news articles by POC criticizing the lyrics in 2011. I think the biggest change is that now more wh*te people care :laughga:

Honestly for years all I've seen complain about the lyrics were whites.... same people who censor Gypsy when they type it out.

Morphine Prince
17 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Isn't the term mostly used by non-binary people? Just like neopronouns like xe, xey, who are we to tell people what words should represent their gender or not

LatinX doesn’t represent a specific gender, it’s meant to be gender neutral. 

But that already exists in Spanish. 

auburn
24 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

We're not talking about the Judas cover.

You must be in the wrong thread then

LaLa

I don't think anyone is saying those words were intentionally chosen to be offensive. Obviously not! 

But Gaga spoke recently of "learning and un-learning" with regards to systemic racism, and how she herself has/had certain blind spots and is trying to do better. Updating the lyrics to take out terms that are considered derogatory/offensive/hurtful/ old fashioned seems like a good step.

It will keep BTW as an anthem that can be current and relevant to new generations and not get set aside as something "problematic" or "of it's time" in the years to come. 

FFXIV WhiteMage

I'm Asian and I was never offended by those lyrics :cryga:

White, Black, and Beige are basically the spectrum of skin colors which was suppose to encompass everyone. She can only give three points on the human color skin spectrum (the two far-end which were white and black, and the "in-between" which is the beige) because reciting one by one will be :huntyga:  

It's like the Gypsy lyrics where she can only name a few countries.

The Lebanese and Orient (East Asia) were used as "specific" example and not "necessarily" meant to represent Arabs or Asians. 

That's why I believe it's not a "fixation" of the lyrics but rather a "interpretation" of the whole song by an artist. 

As for the song, it's good but you'll be lying if you think that it's better than this one

bestie

I'm Mexican and Cholo/Chola is a style that originated in Mexican/Latin communities throughout Los Angeles. I think the only people triggered by the term in the song are over-the-top liberal Whites. 

Naak Le Vaar

Sonically, this was really bad. Like awful, even. I adored Joanne and it's cool Gaga is featuring these lesser known LGBT+ artists, but this was disappointing.

I loved Big Freedia's interpretation of Judas, this reinterpretation sounds flat. Imo "oriental" wasn't there to offend anyone. In Spanish, the same word "oriental" has no racist implications or racist connotations, although I know the word has different suggested meanings in English so Im okay with it being changed. "Latinx" honestly made me feel so detached from what the original song and album meant to me. I get that it's okay not to like a song and this is the reimagined version, that the original is still there, but like :saladga:

Lmao they blocked my signature

Archived