đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

alsemanche
Just now, Lilbit said:

Latino, but honestly we have a lot of pride. It really helps to just know what country they come from honestly. Mexican, Puerto Rican (territory), Dominican ect. :ladyhaha:

Yeah totally, it feels a little homogenizing anyway. It's like when they say "Arab" which can refer to SOO many different cultures and different kinds of people. Gotta love the imperial West :bear:

Soft, soothing, and succulent

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lilbit

If I personally felt weird or strange about the word in the song as a Latino then I really don’t give a fart what anyone else thinks about it other than the artist.  I’m still here. Still a stan, and still like the album (not the song sorry), but at the end of the day, don’t tell me when to take offense. :enigma: 

alsemanche
4 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

No, not all derogatory words are inherently derogatory, like the n-word which is racist in nature even if a certain someone uses it in reference to music. That word would be offensive to every person it targets, but there are words that are only offensive in context or depending on the person's experience with it, which is proven by the fact that there are many people who are latinx or asian who don't find chola or orient offensive, and the definition of the words. Still glad they changed it to be more modern and inclusive but there would have been extremely more backlash if the words chola and orient were inherently derogatory in themselves, Interscope wouldn't have let her release it anyway

I replied to you based on stuff I found from a quick google search, before seeing everyone's replies here. But yeah you're right, it's obviously not as scandalous as the n-word, but I guess it still doesn't sit right with some people. Anyway, it's not my place to speak for them at the end of the day. I can speak for the Orient part and I'm happy they changed it. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

ThisGuyTony

“Latinx” :ladyhaha:

The “cholo” lyric never offended me either. :koons:

auburn

This was a horrible cover. The lyrics did not need to be changed. Listening to this was a h*te crime. Bye.

KORG

Using jarring phrases was kind of the point. It was meant to grab your attention and piss you off.

10 years on and some of you still don't get it.

littlepotter
14 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

“Latino” is gender neutral in the correct context. 

In the Spanish language terms are gendered but the “male” version is also used as gender neutral.

Example: “Los Latinos somos...” which means “Us Latinos are” 

It is gender neutral. 

LatinX is a term for English speakers, mostly Americans. 

Us Latinos who actually speak Spanish know this term is unnecessary and actually uses the English language to create rules that don’t exist in the Spanish language. 

Isn't the term mostly used by non-binary people? Just like neopronouns like xe, xey, who are we to tell people what words should represent their gender or not

chaeri pls

Lilbit
Just now, littlepotter said:

Isn't the term mostly used by non-binary people? Just like neopronouns like xe, xey, who are we to tell people what words should represent their gender or not

I know non-binary, and queer Latinos who still laugh at the term latinx. 

River

It's.. taking a universal song and centering it to USA only with it's USA problems.. meh

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Agunimon
5 minutes ago, auburn said:

This was a horrible cover.

We're not talking about the Judas cover.

Pretty Please
33 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Yes... as an insult... why do some people pretend like she sang Born This Way to diss people? :rip: Does the context not matter? Should I be insulted that singled out Lebanese people?

So if my friend calls me the f slur but she means it in a lighthearted way calling me effeminate that means its ok cos it wasnt INTENDED to offend me? 

maryloo

My asian friends really were hurt by the use of orient in this song and it turned down their fan status a lot, so I never sing that part of the song when I sing along. 

TheSlash

Watch Gaga updating "no matter gay, straight or bi, lesbian, transgender life" to "no matter gay, straight or bi or non-binary or gender-fluid or genderqueer or asexual or pansexual or intersexual, lesbian, transgender life" :legend:

Ew, David!

elijahfan

I always took those lyrics as a way of reclaiming those words. If people think this was ill-intentioned, then they should listen to the song a couple more times.

Ziggy
45 minutes ago, ARTGOD said:

Absolutely not lmao. Even in 2011 it wasn’t okay to call people beige, chola or orient :laughga:.

Yeah I was like wait...she said Orient?...I thought only my mildly racist grandpa said that lmao

Archived