Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

EGOT2027

this album would be the perfect time for gaga to finally release a piano version of born this way and she could use that as the opportunity to use these lyrics 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chromatic puzea
2 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

Can you explain why? I always thought it was simply a gender neutral term that replaces latino/a

it is gender neutral but as a romance language everything is gendered in spanish. while the term latino is used to describe a male latin american, latinos can also be used to refer to a group of men and women and non-binary people. latinx kind off seems like a white saviour solution to a problem that really didn't exist. As another user said not everything is white and black so for some latinos the term latinx makes them feel better represented and gives more visibility non-binary gender identities but truly the term latino is satisfactory for anyone of latin american descent.

disclaimer just the opinion of one person

do u like the jojo siwa song

Runway

Delete the internet. Im mexican and cholo was never offensive. Yikes

FrankMonster
Just now, Lilbit said:

It’s supposed to be gender neutral but a lot of people don’t feel associated with it at all. The plural is masculine and for some reason people felt that it was wrong…most Latinos do not care. 

Speaking gender-neutral Spanish is such a chore. It's my first language and it just doesn't feel natural.

The issue is that in Spanish every single noun has a "gender". For a example,

in English a chair is just a chair. It's an it, no gender associated.

In Spanish it's La Silla. Female. You can't say El silla.

alsemanche
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

“Latino” is gender neutral in the correct context. 

In the Spanish language terms are gendered but the “male” version is also used as gender neutral.

Example: “Los Latinos somos...” which means “Us Latinos are” 

It is gender neutral. 

LatinX is a term for English speakers, mostly Americans. 

Us Latinos who actually speak Spanish know this term is unnecessary and actually uses the English language to create rules that don’t exist in the Spanish language. 

Yeah i get that, we have the same thing in Arabic where the plural takes the masculine form. I never liked it (in Arabic) but I obviously can't speak for you. I always saw LatinX as a purely English term that was created to avoid gendering words in English, but I get why it's not ideal definitely. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Lilbit
1 minute ago, Fan Favorite said:

I’m Latino and never found the chola lyrics offensive. My sisters were borderline cholas in high school (one of them is now a nurse and the other one is a pulmonologist - don’t judge a book by it’s cover) 

I did however find them cringe as hell :yennefer:

Oof. I have family that do not play with that word lol.  but every family is different. :kara:

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, alsemanche said:

Yeah i get that, we have the same thing in Arabic where the plural takes the masculine form. I never liked it (in Arabic) but I obviously can't speak for you. I always saw LatinX as a purely English term that was created to avoid gendering words in English, but I get why it's not ideal definitely. 

Even then you can say “Latin people” in English. It’s simply unnecessary imo. 

Emvee
2 minutes ago, Lilbit said:

Oof. I have family that do not play with that word lol.  but every family is different. :kara:

I mean maybe the older folk. Cholo culture is not exactly what you want your child to engage in as a parent. Most immigrant parents work non stop and can’t help what their kids are doing when they’re away at work. 

Nowadays it feels more like a throwback. 

alsemanche
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

Even then you can say “Latin people” in English. It’s simply unnecessary imo. 

wait why did I never think of simply latin :toofunny: yeah i totally get it now 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Lilbit
Just now, alsemanche said:

wait why did I never think of simply latin :toofunny: yeah i totally get it now 

Latino, but honestly we have a lot of pride. It really helps to just know what country they come from honestly. Mexican, Puerto Rican (territory), Dominican ect. :ladyhaha:

FATCAT

Guy's there's no need to "defend" the original lyrics, the whole point of the song is to stay with the times. 10 years on and the re-release is doing just that. Leave it be.

Purr more, hiss less.

illySpencer

Jesus, now they touched the lyrics... I hate how the cancel culture is ganing power... BTW were perfect, no need to change. 

FATCAT
1 minute ago, Lilbit said:

Latino, but honestly we have a lot of pride. It really helps to just know what country they come from honestly. Mexican, Puerto Rican (territory), Dominican ect. :ladyhaha:

Purr more, hiss less.

littlepotter
6 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

The words are derogatory (from what I understand at least) in themselves regardless of her intention. I know she didn't mean to trash those people obviously, but she can't pick and choose which words are offensive and when sadly. Lebanese is not a derogatory term in itself. Orient is less of a problem but it's still a very imperial term to refer to people are "Orient" or "Oriental"

No, not all derogatory words are inherently derogatory, like the n-word which is racist in nature even if a certain someone uses it in reference to music. That word would be offensive to every person it targets, but there are words that are only offensive in context or depending on the person's experience with it, which is proven by the fact that there are many people who are latinx or asian who don't find chola or orient offensive, and the definition of the words. Still glad they changed it to be more modern and inclusive but there would have been extremely more backlash if the words chola and orient were inherently derogatory in themselves, Interscope wouldn't have let her release it anyway

chaeri pls

Archived