MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

science

Monkeys can imitate accent of other species to enhance communication

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Tamarins-change-their-accent-to-avoid-conflict-1140x630.jpg

Monkeys will use the “accent” of another species when they enter its territory to enhance communication, much like a British person living in the US might forgo their ‘tomahto’ for ‘tomayto, researchers have found.

Researchers investigated the behaviour of 15 groups of two roughly squirrel-sized primate species in the Brazilian Amazon: pied tamarins (Saguinus bicolor) and red-handed tamarins (Saguinus midas).

2902.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=e18eeb77add25ab4ed43aabf97306180db0358d81acdcd220e8febd03b451ade

The critically endangered pied tamarin – a species with a black hairless face, white shaggy fur on the neck and shoulders and an almond-hued coat from the waist down – largely live around the city of Manaus. Red-handed tamarins, which have ginger hands and feet and a body covered in black fur, are found across the north-east Amazon region.

By comparing recordings of the acoustic profile or calls of the two species in three locations – places inhabited solely by pied tamarins; by red-handed tamarins; and areas inhabited by both species – the researchers found that the red-handed tamarins adopted the calls of their neighbours in the shared region, according to the study published in the Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology journal.

DBITTKHLQVFU3FA3MBKM4C7R7U.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/27/monkeys-adopt-accent-of-other-species-when-in-shared-territory-study

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 3
soularpower
Posted (edited)

I’ve always been afraid of bigger apes. Specifically chimps, gorillas, but the worst are baboons. I still have nightmares about being attacked by troops of apes lmao :ladyhaha:

happy to derail the thread. carry on Season 4 Dancing GIF by The Office

Edited by soularpower
wear a mask
  • Shook 1
Reginald

This such an adorable picture  2902.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Look at the little teeth! :sweat:

"When I want my fans' opinions on Ava Max, I visit GGD" - Lady Gaga
  • Love 1
sarahb

Me trying to speak to Americans :laughga:

Last week I said 'beers' to an American and he was like 'bees?' :flop:

• LMAO 1
GagasBiggestFan
1 hour ago, sarahb said:

Me trying to speak to Americans :laughga:

Last week I said 'beers' to an American and he was like 'bees?' :flop:

beers? The alcoholic drink? LMAO

Your either on my side, by my side, or in my ****ing way. Choose Wisely. 
sarahb
1 minute ago, GagasBiggestFan said:

beers? The alcoholic drink? LMAO

Yeah, it's because I don't really pronounce the 'R' sound at the end of words lol 

• Love 1
FfFfFfFF
4 hours ago, Reginald said:

This such an adorable picture  2902.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

Look at the little teeth! :sweat:

Just image these two as a couple - :ally:

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • LMAO 1
  • 2 weeks later...
FfFfFfFF

This is soo weird. After I posted the monkey video I started seeing so many Youtube videos with it. :air: