Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I don’t agree with Born This Way

GeeYewWhai

Featured Posts

GeeYewWhai

The song. :oops: (Not hatin on the song, nor the message, just the approach)

I don’t think we’re born this way and that the sentiment is a little outdated. People within the LGBTQ+ spectrum are arguably not born with their sexuality completely determined, there is science to back it up and as of late there is still no evidence for a “gay gene.” Rather there is a plethora of things before and after birth that have been found to influence one’s own gender identity or sexual preference. In addition, while the song is factually inaccurate, which is fine, I think its morally obsolete as well...

My thinking goes: just because you weren’t born this way, doesn’t mean your sexuality is a choice (the obvious reason why this song exists is to say queerness is not a choice.) and even if it was a “choice,” so what? The choice vs no choice precedent is irrelevant. You shouldn’t sh*t on someone for doing something or for living in a way they want to live that brings them happiness (given they don’t hurt anyone or themselves), plain and simple. 
Okay Let’s say that’s not enough, choices implies accountability and you shouldn’t have to be accountable for being queer.
But here’s the thing, you don’t need the “born this way” argument to prove our existence isn’t a choice. Look at it this way, you don’t chose your personality, your fears, your ambitions, your favorite music even. These are results of things that occur in your life. It’s like how we (for the most part) don’t ridicule homeless people for being homeless (it wasn’t a choice, it was a circumstance due to unfair systems in place). We don’t reprimand people for having different personalities, ambitions, etc.  There are things unchangeable post birth and during life because we don’t control everything that happens to us. Therefore not a choice. 

Believing a person is born a specific way and remains that way generalizes the complex nature of sexuality and humanity as a whole. It’s about time we look at the bigger picture and not judge people solely for their right to live freely as a human being. “Choice” or no choice.

I like to think I am more than the newborn I once was.

anyways i hope that made sense.

anyways stream BTW :kiss::messga:

im gonna be dragged. Pls have an open mind. Open to rebuttals

Nothing Happened

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cameltoe Chariot

It’s just a poetic way to say “I am who I am” - you’re taking the statement too literally :laughga:

Cookie Tookie

Ok, so you chose your sexual orientation? Cool. 99% of us didn’t. So carry on.

Lucas

I understand your point but it's more of a "I am the way I am and I was destined to be like that at birth" statement.

Also the song isn't just about sexuality, it's basically about everything that makes us different from each other

Talk for yourself. I remember being like 5 and being attracted to Tom Welling in Smallville without knowing what being Gay was so :huntyga:

vixdean
8 minutes ago, AndiGaga said:

I disagree. I was never straight. I was born this way. Genetically

That’s a very problematic thing to say. There’s no gay gene that determines one’s sexuality. 

By saying that you are gay, bi, etc for biological/genetical reasons, you are aligning yourself with those who claim that non-normative sexualities can be cured because it’s an illness.

It isn’t. And sexuality is socially and culturally constructed. We are not born gay, bi, etc. So yes, completely agree with the Op @GeeYewWhai.

Sexuality Studies/Queer Theory is a whole disciplinary field dedicated to these questions. For example, the concept of performativity by Judith Butler addresses these issues very well and comprehensively. 

GeeYewWhai
2 minutes ago, Cookie Tookie said:

Ok, so you choose your sexual orientation? Cool. 99% of us didn’t. So carry on.

I’m saying your sexual orientation is more complex than choice vs no choice and that the song oversimplifies that. There are things that we “choose,” that we don’t have complete control over.

Nothing Happened

Suspiria
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I understand your point but it's more of a "I am the way I am and I was destined to be like that at birth" statement.

Also the song isn't just about sexuality, it's basically about everything that makes us different from each other

I agree with OP's points about sexuality but also this. I'm pretty sure Gaga talked about how it's about destiny rather than genetics. That's why she had Zombie Boy in the video - he was not born like that, but it was his destiny to become it.

Whether or not you believe in destiny is a whole other issue though:bear:

GeeYewWhai
4 minutes ago, vixdean said:

That’s a very problematic thing to say. There’s no gay gene that determines one’s sexuality. 

By saying that you are gay, bi, etc for biological/genetical reasons, you are aligning yourself with those who claim that non-normative sexualities can be cured because it’s an illness.

It isn’t. And sexuality is socially and culturally constructed. We are not born gay, bi, etc.

This too

EDIT: you have articulated my argument more clearly in this one paragraph than my mile long essay. Thank you

Nothing Happened

Suspiria
10 minutes ago, Cookie Tookie said:

Ok, so you choose your sexual orientation? Cool. 99% of us didn’t. So carry on.

You didn't read the post did you:ally:

Archived