💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Olivia on track for second #1

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Thomas P
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I've studied this stuff for a long time. I haven't reviewed albums and researched artists entire careers for the last decade for nothing. When people genuinely like a song and catch onto it organically, it tends to result in a slow burn to the top of the charts. If no one's heard of the artist, regardless of how good the song is, it can't possibly debut at #1. That's for established names who have fans who plan a campaign to get it to the top as soon as it comes out. New acts don't have that luxury. Even established names have to climb as well. I have never seen a complete unknown achieve what she has in less than 5 months. Nor have I ever seen a complete unknown given this amount of label support and being able to release an album just 5 months after their debut single. Clearly, it was all written and ready to go by the time DL came out, so she was clearly planned to be a success before she'd even put music out. This isn't to discredit her talent or her worthiness of success, it's just a statement of the blatantly obvious. Labels must really think we don't notice this stuff.

These trends have changed DRASTICALLY though. Organic hits exist still, but these instant right out of the gate hits for artists are super common now. She had a couple million followers on instagram who knew the song was coming, they transferred their love of it over to tiktok, it went viral, and boom, a number 1 debut. 

Also, I, and all of my friends knew who she was a long time ago, so this success didn’t seem as immediate to us. 

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HookerOnAChurch

Happy 4 her. "good 4 u" is one of my fav songs right now. 

FFXIV WhiteMage
6 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It would certainly be her most deserving hit if this happens. But I'm finding it really suspicious how she rose to this level of success out of nowhere. If you're not a teenager and don't live in America, you'll likely have no idea about her being a Disney girl or have any inkling of who she was until January arrived. That's why I was so surprised that this Driver's License song was aiming to be #1 in its debut week when no one had heard of her, so where were they even noticing this song upon its release week? And the success ever since is all pointing to "industry plant." I'm not saying she's not talented or doesn't deserve success but it's all too perfect to be seen as true organic success.

Remember that these days, it's extremely difficult for a newbie to release their debut album mere months after their debut single. If you look at all the new names over the last few years, minus very few exceptions, they all had to release a spate of stand-alone singles for maybe a year or more before they finally got the chance to put their album out (meaning the public had largely moved on by that time, which is a major error labels make). And it doesn't seem to matter how successful you are, that's just the way it is now apparently. So, I nearly spat out my drink when it was announced her album was all ready to be released in May. Not since Meghan Trainor have I seen a new artist's debut album roll out at quickly as that, which is very suspicious. And also nowadays, it can be a danger sign when a new artist is getting so many hits right out the gate. So many of these types of artists crash and burn from there on out. I don't like to be a downer but it's all I can think of. She's so young, it would be good if her label took a while to nourish her talent instead of over-exposing her.

She was already  well known in the US as you mentioned and her fans back then hyped DL and made it viral on TikTok (in the US at least). And TikTok trends in the US are actually being emulated by the rest of the world. Hence the low DL Spotify number debut to sudden increase. Same goes for Savage Love that is purely fueled by TikTok. 

I remember some TikTok users claim that they control the industry  :billie:

Well I cannot blame them because whatever explodes on TikTok also explodes on chart - like Levitating.

As for being an industry plant I have my suspicions as well but she’s a really talented songwriter. She have some raw original songs uploaded on YT which I think are great.

And she actually clicks with the GP. So the industry planters, if she really is one, are successful this time around. :ally:

Phlop
17 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

She was already  well known in the US as you mentioned and her fans back then hyped DL and made it viral on TikTok (in the US at least). And TikTok trends in the US are actually being emulated by the rest of the world. Hence the low DL Spotify number debut to sudden increase. Same goes for Savage Love that is purely fueled by TikTok. 

Well I cannot blame them because whatever explodes on TikTok also explodes on chart - like Levitating.

As for being an industry plant I have my suspicions as well but she’s a really talented songwriter. She have some raw original songs uploaded on YT which I think are great.

And she actually clicks with the GP. So the industry planters, if she really is one, are successful this time around. :ally:

I guess this is all lost to me because I’m not GenZ. I only know her know because she blew up overnight for the general public. 

BYE

FFXIV WhiteMage
16 minutes ago, Phlop said:

I guess this is all lost to me because I’m not GenZ. I only know her know because she blew up overnight for the general public. 

Ikr. It’s like a domino effect, TikTok -> Spotify -> other media outlets like YT and then to GP. 

But mostly TikTok and Spotify. If a song get a good views/streams there then it’s almost guaranteed to chart really well.

Wet Fire

She's on her way to do great thing!

2021 is going to be a Billie vs Olivia mess :emma:

TSUNAMI
10 hours ago, chromatic puzea said:

yeah i don't think anyone can be a MPG with only a debut album. I definitely want to see her succeed and you don't need to be an icon to be a MPG but how many artists flake out before their second album is even out. Once again i want her to succeed but all this comparing to taylor and calling her the music industry already is setting her up for really high standards and i don't think that's good if she wants to grow as an artist. Just let the girl make her music and if the gp loves it then they love it and if not, you can still enjoy her music

But Gaga was MPG with The Fame. 

Madam Margolyes

Wtf is MPG? Miles per gallon? Micro penis gang? What :bear:

tyler k
4 hours ago, gagaisitalian said:

Have you stepped away from your payola theories long enough to ask yourself if maybe the music is just...good? And people..........like it?

this.

I've had at least 5 friends ask me this week if I know who Olivia Rodrigio is and if I like her new song. Usually I AM THE ONE asking my friends this... she was just on SNL, she's an organic hit... just accept it yall lmao. homegirl is talented!

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

tyler k
Just now, Madam Margolyes said:

main pop girl

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

TSUNAMI
1 hour ago, tmo13 said:

she was just on SNL, she's an organic hit... just accept it yall lmao. homegirl is talented!

And she's relatable. Girl next door. 

Pharamon
11 hours ago, Madam Margolyes said:

micro penis gang, come join :ally:

Joaco95

its so easy to gey a #1 these days, thanks to streaming and things like tiktok :fatcat:

i dont get the appeal for these new pop girls but maybe im getting old :mark:

39ZO.gif

StrawberryBlond
14 hours ago, Thomas P said:

These trends have changed DRASTICALLY though. Organic hits exist still, but these instant right out of the gate hits for artists are super common now. She had a couple million followers on instagram who knew the song was coming, they transferred their love of it over to tiktok, it went viral, and boom, a number 1 debut. 

Also, I, and all of my friends knew who she was a long time ago, so this success didn’t seem as immediate to us. 

Debut week, though? Maybe it's because I'm from the UK and some of the hits in America can take a while to catch on here and it becomes a huge hit for us a bit later although we're a bit more identical these days now the preorder system is done away with and the entire world gets music on the same day. I'm used to hip hop and trap artists getting instant hits but pop seems to work differently, it's a lot more cliquey, it's like no one's knows or cares about your song if they don't know who your name. I obviously keep up to do date with all the new releases for years, even for obscure artists with no hits, even for artists I don't like/listen to because of my album reviewing and pre-Driver's License, I'd never heard of her. That says a lot.

13 hours ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

Jason Derulo has been famous for years, though, and the BTS remix helped push it to #1. It would be different if it was someone completely new. I've looked back at previous BB #1's and the last artist I could find who was a complete unknown when their debut single went to #1 was Lil Nas X with Old Town Road in 2018. Before that, Desiigner with Panda in 2015. Then Omi with Cheerleader in 2015. Then Meghan Trainor with All About That Bass in 2014 and Magic! with Rude also in 2014. It's usually a trend of about one a year, as you can see. But there had only been one in over 5 years until Olivia came along. I sometimes think, even if someone isn't a full-on plant, labels sometimes really just want a song/artist to succeed so they push it to the enth degree.

Archived