💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Bad sound mixing in TV/film?

bionic

Have you epxerienced problems with sound mixing in TV/film?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Have you epxerienced problems with sound mixing in TV/film?

• Yes I have experienced this
    • No bionic I think you need to have your hearing checked

Featured Posts

bionic

Like a lot of people I've spent the past year or so during COVID watching a lot of TV and film on various streaming services. I've noticed that recent releases, on the whole, are much more likely to have terrible sound mixing meaning that some parts are really loud, other really quiet, its a total mess and makes it difficult to watch without sitting with the TV remote in hand or my hand on the volume mixer.

For example

• In High School Musical: The Musical: The Series, the singing is mixed much louder than the spoken parts, so have to turn volume down during musical numbers
  • In Superstore, the transition titles are WAAAY louder than the general volume of the show meaning that I get defeaned at the start of every episode with the credits

Has anybody else experienced this or am I getting old :koons: 

buy bionic

homomo
1 minute ago, bionic said:

In Superstore, the transition titles are WAAAY louder than the general volume of the show meaning that I get defeaned at the start of every episode with the credits

THIS

I binged this series at the beginning of the year and that DUH DUH DUH DUH DUHDUHDUH DUHDUDHDUDH UDH intro always deafened me

bionic
2 minutes ago, homomo said:

THIS

I binged this series at the beginning of the year and that DUH DUH DUH DUH DUHDUHDUH DUHDUDHDUDH UDH intro always deafened me

Its a great show but if I set the volume at a suitable level during the titles its like the cast is whispering for the rest of the show :saladga: 

I haven't watched it since it aired but IIRC Glee had a similar problem where the "previously on" intro bit was WAAAAAY louder than the rest of the show

buy bionic

Helxig

I haaaaaaaate this! I can't say I've consciously noticed it happening more recently than before, but when it does happen it drives me crazy. When you're trying to watch a movie when other people are asleep and you just can't, because some scenes are so quiet you can't hear them talk, and others are so blaringly loud you have to quickly turn it down :saladga:  Literally gives me a headache. I get they're trying to create drama but it doesn't have to be that extreme. Who the hell approves this crap?

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Yxilon

I think my ears are hypersensitive probably due to being a music producer so yes, it happens very frequently and it makes me not enjoying almost any movie on netflix :messga:

Everything could be everything (it could mean anything)

bionic
1 minute ago, Yxilon said:

I think my ears are hypersensitive probably due to being a music producer so yes, it happens very frequently and it makes me not enjoying almost any movie on netflix :messga:

And don't even get me started on the lighting where I'm sat trying to watch Game of Thrones like I can see in the dark like :koons: 

buy bionic

andy232000

I think that has more to do with the type of speakers the TV has and how much it can amplify certain sounds. Most movies are mixed taking into account a certain brand of speakers used in theaters, so when they migrate to a home TV, the speakers may drastically change how we perceive the mix. Its just something we gotta deal with cause sound mixers cannot mix for every TV brand and the speakers each one used. 

Defmix100

yes and it's confusing since they are mixed in sometimes million dollar + stages

It happens the same with color grading too even though the grader is basically seeing it in the best quality and on the best screens available. Also in general night time scenes are way darker now, like the infamous darkness of the GOT battle

Robo Ga

IT IS SO ANNOYING AND I AGREE 100% I work with audio editing in my career and it makes me even more irritated by it  

🤖⚡️

bionic
1 hour ago, andy232000 said:

I think that has more to do with the type of speakers the TV has and how much it can amplify certain sounds. Most movies are mixed taking into account a certain brand of speakers used in theaters, so when they migrate to a home TV, the speakers may drastically change how we perceive the mix. Its just something we gotta deal with cause sound mixers cannot mix for every TV brand and the speakers each one used. 

I get that to some extent but for releases designed for home media why would editors not be sensible and just make a flat mix. Maybe 1% of people have premium speaker set ups

buy bionic

Oriane

On new releases, I don't know, but one movie that really made an impression on me with its bad sound mixing (whether it was on purpose or not) was Suspiria (the original one). I constantly had to change the volume because very often I couldn't hear anything the characters were saying, and the second after I had to quickly lower it otherwise the whole building would have come to my door thinking I was being murdered.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Anderson123

You might have a hearing problem if you stan Bionic. 

:trollga:jk my friend. :kara:

Archived