society

US birth rate falls to lowest point in more than a century

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

PartySick
38 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

See, again, it's part of our culture to just treat it as a joke. It's fine to not want kids but to actively encourage others not to do so I feel isn't right. What species doesn't want to protect the growth of their own kind for generations to come? The idea of the population shrinking and shrinking as I age actually terrifies me. Especially if there's less doctors and care home staff to look after me in my old age. Let's face it, these kinds of jobs don't want to be done by the majority of us so we have to thank our lucky stars that there are people out there who do want to do them. But if we have less people in the world, the chances of these jobs being filled diminish. And if everyone's old and at retirement age, who's going to work and pay for things?

It also baffles me that immigration is seen as the solution to it all. Older immigrants who don't intend to have children will just add to the problem and immigrants who have no intention of adapting to their new country and don't get a job will provide a whole host of other issues. Immigration is fine so long as the country can handle such a sudden influx (especially with housing) and the immigrants are willing to adapt to their new home.

@Economy, you've spoken about this birth rate vs immigration thing before right? Your insight is required :lolly:

Seeing voices 🖐️🖤
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CHIPCHROME

• Economy

• GagaSine

• SamanthaC

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People can’t afford to give birth. It costs tens of thousands of dollars here. People who can’t afford health insurance are told they don’t qualify for Medicare.  Higher education is a scam here. Mo

Yay for population control. Seriously, who would want to raise a kid in this crazy world right now 

I told y'all in the thread about condom sales that this is why they've skyrocketed  Who the hell can afford to have a baby? Having a child in this economy can bankrupt a family and stretch them p

SamanthaC

Well the birth rate in Morocco seems to be doing well. :laughga:

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, PartySick said:

@Economy, you've spoken about this birth rate vs immigration thing before right? Your insight is required :lolly:

You don't need to quote someone else as if I'm totally incompetent about the subject. I've looked into this a lot. Immigration won't necessarily improve the situation, depending on the age of immigrants as well as what they're qualified in, how versed they are in their new country's language, etc. There's also the issue with providing everything needed for full-grown adult immigrants, which isn't the same as a country naturally reproducing. Producing new life means new houses will get needed around 2 decades down the line which is plausible but allowing a big batch of adults to move in overnight who all need housing right now when we have a housing shortage is a bit different, for example. Many of the native population can't get a house right now, so I really don't know where new arrivals to the country are supposed to live. The issue of immigration is never simple no matter how often we're told it is.

rumours
23 minutes ago, CHIPCHROME said:

You don't know anything about my life, nor my plans for the future so I suggest you SHOO! Rat

@PartySick, treat this beech like one of your Florida gators. 

hungry street food GIF by Munchies

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
PartySick
2 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

You don't need to quote someone else as if I'm totally incompetent about the subject. I've looked into this a lot.

That's not what I'm implying :laughga: I'm not well versed on the topic myself so I'm not going to debate or carry on a conversation when my knowledge ends with "who cares if there's less babies, as long as it's offset by more people from other countries" :shrug:

I just find the topic interesting and figured you two would have an interesting conversation to read :spin:

Seeing voices 🖐️🖤
  • Like 1
CHIPCHROME
2 minutes ago, rumours said:

@PartySick, treat this beech like one of your Florida gators. 

hungry street food GIF by Munchies

700962607_ScreenShot2021-02-16at8_12_24P

CHIPCHROME
2 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Why is everyone so spicy today :neyde:

its a hot button topic :neyde:

SamanthaC
7 minutes ago, GagaSine said:

Why is everyone so spicy today :neyde:

Because rude people admit they didn’t read my post and are now laughing at my posts where I’m describing the trauma of dealing with infertility. You all know on this site that I don’t typically argue with people but this has made me mad. 

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
StrawberryBlond
9 minutes ago, PartySick said:

That's not what I'm implying :laughga: I'm not well versed on the topic myself so I'm not going to debate or carry on a conversation when my knowledge ends with "who cares if there's less babies, as long as it's offset by more people from other countries" :shrug:

I just find the topic interesting and figured you two would have an interesting conversation to read :spin:

Ok, I just wish you had phrased it a bit differently. It's just that, so often, my political opinions get laughed at and dismissed around here because they don't always fit that of a typical liberal so I'm used to some iteration of "ignore her, she doesn't know what she's talking about." Which is why I tend not to express them too often and have to be overwhelmingly careful with how I write things when I do.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
PartySick
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

Ok, I just wish you had phrased it a bit differently. It's just that, so often, my political opinions get laughed at and dismissed around here because they don't always fit that of a typical liberal so I'm used to some iteration of "ignore her, she doesn't know what she's talking about." Which is why I tend not to express them too often and have to be overwhelmingly careful with how I write things when I do.

It's all good :kara:

Sorry for not being more clear

Seeing voices 🖐️🖤
  • Thanks 1
Franch Toast

Whether people have kids or not and how they choose to have them is not anyone's business but the people involved. If people don't want kids, they shouldn't be pressured to have them. If people do want kids, let them have kids in the way that best suits their family and specific situation. 

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 1
modern ecstasy

Kids are just extremely expensive, even for people will high paying jobs. With daycare/nannies, medical bills, college tuition that only keeps increasing, etc, I understand why people are choosing to have smaller families or no kids at all.

Economy
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

What aspect do u wanna know of my opinion? :enigma:

RAMROD
7 hours ago, Economy said:

The US isnt overpopulated overall. It has a lot of land relatove to population actually. It feels overpopulated cuz ppl concentrate themselves in specific metros

That's because not all land are legal to be inhabited because they are set as natural reserve.

The United States has lost the equivalent of nine Grand Canyon national parks already as of 2019, or 24 million acres (9712455.41 hectares) of natural area, between 2001 and 2017 due to agriculture, energy development, housing sprawl and other human factors, making the country more vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. So whatever left now are lands that shouldn't be touched.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ やれやれだわ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡