Chromatica out now

💌 monthly fan mail 💌
society

18% Of EV Drivers Switched Back To Gasoline Cars (California)

Economy

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Woolfsmck said:

Cars don't emit that much individually....true ...

Mass quantity of low emission gas engines adds up day after day after day after day....

plus ... the refining process for said fuel require a lot of heat ... i.e. greenhouse gasses being emitted ...

Reducing the 'dependence' on fossil fuels for energy is the main way to lower emission imo ..

not just transportation .. but all aspects of the economy...

many things we uses everyday ... 'plastics' 'food'  'clothing'  'transportation' are all add up to greenhouse emitting energy being used ...

change this and the global environment will be helped.

It does add up. Im not saying its insignificant

But what im saying is that ppl often get this perception that personal vehicles are like half or even a third of greenhouse gas emissions... its not, its less... and when u factor in that EVs are not totally carbon neutral themselves as well the total impact EVs will have on global warming reduction is a lot smaller than ppl might think

This is not me criticizing EVs btw... i do support their developement and as i said they are still preferable to gas cars and its a step in the right direction

But i get a little uncomfortable when ppl make it sound like thats whats gonna save the planet and then they dont put enough emphasis on other things... EVs are just 1 piece of a much larger puzzle in order to significantly reduce heat trapping emissions

Relying on switching all electricity production to solar and wind and changing all cars to EVs is not gonna cut it. It will help A LOT. But we cant ignore big polluters that tend to not get much media attention such as Sea traffic (boats), farming practices, heavy industrial industries such as cement or steel factories etc... these are huge, all of them a bigger impact than personal vehicles. Yet cars get more attention

As usual when something os politicized or becomes a popular trend to talk about perspective is lost and the amount of deserved attention is not proportional to reality. Theres other stuff out there that needs attention even more than cars and its not getting enough of that spotlight

Edited by Economy
2 hours ago, Economy said:

It does add up. Im not saying its insignificant

But what im saying is that ppl often get this perception that personal vehicles are like half or even a third of greenhouse gas emissions... its not, its less... and when u factor in that EVs are not totally carbon neutral themselves as well the total impact EVs will have on global warming reduction is a lot smaller than ppl might think

This is not me criticizing EVs btw... i do support their developement and as i said they are still preferable to gas cars and its a step in the right direction

But i get a little uncomfortable when ppl make it sound like thats whats gonna save the planet and then they dont put enough emphasis on other things... EVs are just 1 piece of a much larger puzzle in order to significantly reduce heat trapping emissions

Relying on switching all electricity production to solar and wind and changing all cars to EVs is not gonna cut it. It will help A LOT. But we cant ignore big polluters that tend to not get much media attention such as Sea traffic (boats), farming practices, heavy industrial industries such as cement or steel factories etc... these are huge, all of them a bigger impact than personal vehicles. Yet cars get more attention

As usual when something os politicized or becomes a popular trend to talk about perspective is lost and the amount of deserved attention is not proportional to reality. Theres other stuff out there that needs attention even more than cars and its not getting enough of that spotlight

We agree...lowering the overall usage of greenhouse emitting fuel and not just personal transportation really needs to be the goal ....

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • Thanks 1
GoldenPonyboy
On 5/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, milam said:

ditch cars altogether challenge

In an ideal world, yes. However, when you live in a small canadian town like me it can be diffucult. There isnt mich public transpo. We dont even have uber lol. And an EV makes no sense for me since i live in an apt complexe and the nearest charging station would be 30 mins away 🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

In an ideal world, yes. However, when you live in a small canadian town like me it can be diffucult. There isnt mich public transpo. We dont even have uber lol. And an EV makes no sense for me since i live in an apt complexe and the nearest charging station would be 30 mins away 🤷‍♂️

Even in bigger cities it can be a pain. I live in a pretty large Toronto suburb and the transit is pretty reliable and can get u to any area of the city but its still a hassle vs having your own car

Currently my commute to work from Brampton to Mississauga is 15-20 minutes in the morning and about 30 minutes in the afternoon

Realistically bussing would double that time cuz id have to walk to the nearest stop, wait a few minutes for next bus then connect to another bus which potentially i may have to wait another few minutes for

Even with buses coming every 10 minutes during rush hour theres no getting around that taking public transit adds commute time that is shorter when you own your own car :shrug:

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, GoldenPonyboy said:

just food for thought, here in Italy we have a 110% bonus on renovating apartment blocks and if we get works done on the facade to better energy performance of the building we can add anything from solar panel to charging stations :huntyga: 110% means that virtually we will get all the money back + 10% back. sometimes I'm sorry for y'all living in North America.

apart from the news from the future lol your concerns are totally valid in today's world, especially when towns are so distant from one another. look, @Economy doesn't wanna wait a few minutes for the bus, I cannot imagine how time consuming can be for someone who doesn't live in a big town (I come from a <10k town, it's literally a village here lol and I need to take two buses to go to uni or walk 30 m and than take the train). if we really want to ditch cars we need to work on the places we live, the way towns are designed, the way services are distributed, but also consider that if we all go around with cars there's no way we will not spend a good chunk of our time stuck in traffic. that doesn't mean that I don't want people to be able to drive - I'm all for the van life or idk what else. but also, as someone else said, there's no sense in EV cars if electricity is made through fossil fuel lol