question

Is COADF Madonna's magnum opus?

flyaway

Featured Posts

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FameHookah

Yes, that era in general (performances, tour) are her best work to date.

WTF is MDNA

FameHookah
1 hour ago, bionic said:

She has three:

• Like a Prayer (for the 80s)
  • Ray of Light (for the 90s)
  • Confessions (for the 00s and beyond)

Yep

WTF is MDNA

Agunimon

I think Ray of Light is, although my favorite album of hers is True Blue and then Madame X. I wasn't a fan of Confessions as a body of work. It had good singles.

Magic Mike

Ray of Light and Confessions are her best for sure :) Then Madame X and Erotica

Damon
33 minutes ago, Tobcho said:

why was she hated after american life?

someone alresdy answered this question but also there are some interviews she did during that time (which i think you can see them on youtube), where you can tell is the first time madonna was kind of scared to release something like that, she has always been bold but this time she decided to step back bc she was pissing powerful people and got scared of something happening to her family

i think the era ended up being so lightweight from she had planned it to be in order to decrease the hate she was getting, especially from america but is kinda funny because the re-invention tour has that same aggresive message too

... and now i just sit in silence.

androiduser
37 minutes ago, Forbidden Love said:

She was one of the few willing to speak out against the Bush administration and criticize the war in Iraq like she did on the title track and it's video. This was right after 9/11 so America was devastated and angry enough that we blindly supported an unjust war built on lies. She was speaking out loudly on this album against all of the horrible things being done and the original video for American Life (which was not allowed to be officially released because every video channel refused to play it so they had to redo it) only added fuel to the fire. She was accused of being anti-American, a terrorist sympathizer, and many on the right even called for her to be arrested for treason. 

Actually, this was just a few crazies on the internet, and there were no serious media outlets reporting any of this.. Madonna and her fans blew it out of proportion to be the center of attention. The Dixie Chicks had a much worse treatment by the American public, and Madonna wanted a piece of the attention.

She got a MUCH bigger backlash in Europe for the cross scene in the Confessions Tour.

IllusionLover
2 hours ago, bionic said:

She has three:

• Like a Prayer (for the 80s)
  • Ray of Light (for the 90s)
  • Confessions (for the 00s and beyond)

MDNA for the 2010s

Madame X for the 2020s 

:billie:

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

bionic
31 minutes ago, Damon said:

someone alresdy answered this question but also there are some interviews she did during that time (which i think you can see them on youtube), where you can tell is the first time madonna was kind of scared to release something like that, she has always been bold but this time she decided to step back bc she was pissing powerful people and got scared of something happening to her family

i think the era ended up being so lightweight from she had planned it to be in order to decrease the hate she was getting, especially from america but is kinda funny because the re-invention tour has that same aggresive message too

There WERE threats against her children (ones that the FBI got involved with)

buy bionic

MoonIight

Erotica, Ray of Light and Like a Prayer are the only albums that deserve to called her magnum opus. Confessions is good but she made that album just to get out of the critical and commercial failure of American Life, so I always think of it as her damage control album.

Sexxx

song for song Bedtime Stories is the strongest 

gumzy3000

If we are talking just about the music then I would go with Ray of Light. 

If we are looking at everything in a era like the style, aesthetics, commercial success, performances, tour and "wow" factor, in combination with the music, I would have to put a tie between Like a Prayer and COADF

trolly troll troll

Archived