science

New species of glowing pumpkin toadlet

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

04-12-2018%20ipir%20001.jpg?w=1200

It’s orange, fluorescent, and the size of a thumbnail. Meet the newly discovered amphibian Brachycephalus rotenbergae, a type of pumpkin toadlet found in Brazil’s Atlantic Forest.

The animal belongs to a family of at least 36 pumpkin toadlets, which are named after the popular Halloween squash. Like poison dart frogs, their vibrant color is likely a signal to predators that their skin carries a potentially deadly toxin.

Brachycephalus_rotenbergae-novataxa_2021-Nunes_Guimar%25C3%25A3es_Moura_Pedrozo_et-al.PNG

The new species, described recently in the journal PLOS ONE, was found during an extensive research effort across Brazil to find new pumpkin toadlets.

“The best moment to be a scientist is when you are looking at something new and you are the only person who knows,” says study leader Ivan Sergio Nunes Silva, a herpetologist at São Paulo State University.

rhoy8zr561u1p2ktbgym-scaled.jpg?auto=formaxt0jzmmonu2twjhidu-scaled.jpg?ar=16:9&auto=format&fit=crop&q=65&w=1280

The new pumpkin toadlet is smaller than other known toadlets, with a more diminutive snout. Other unusual features include black, faded patterns on its skin and a preference for the Atlantic Forest’s higher elevations. 

Nunes hopes the discovery will inspire the government and organizations to take better care of their resources, such as closely tracking threatened species.

Brachycephalus_rotenbergae-novataxa_2021

(under UV light)

Spoiler

(areas of study)

Sources: https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2021/04/new-pumpkin-toadlet-species-found-and-it-secretly-glows-in-the-darkhttp://novataxa.blogspot.com/2021/05/brachycephalus-rotenbergae.html

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 7
  • Shook 2
Noah

Isn‘t it interesting how many things there are on the World (not even talking about how many animals live in the Ocean that could technically come up at any moment) that we don‘t know exist and find out about? Really puts things into perspective. 

• Like 2
VoidTwo

I've always been fascinated by poisonous frogs, I don't know why. 

spector
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FfFfFfFF said:

rotenbergae

the only rotenberg i know is cristine, the holo and science queen, aka simply nailogical :flower:

tenor.gif

Edited by spector
stella + elliot = stelliot
PartySick
27 minutes ago, VoidTwo said:

I've always been fascinated by poisonous frogs, I don't know why. 

They're always really pretty because in nature, bright colors means "eat me and you'll die" :poot:

We're disrespecting each other, whatever happened to protecting each other 💔
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
Frybean

I was expected to see glowing pumpkin, but the toadlet is cool too I guess.

Magnetic Moon
2 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

(under UV light)

What is that?

Mindblown
2 hours ago, PartySick said:

They're always really pretty because in nature, bright colors means "eat me and you'll die" :poot:

and this is why the Pride flag is so bright and colorful :trollga:

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 2
Adarsh
5 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Oh look, she’s serving in Versace :giveup:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUr8Xj4iuK5e0hW1EsiG5

That boy is a monster
  • Shook 1
RAMROD
2 hours ago, Magnetic Moon said:

What is that?

Those area are the toxin pribably

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ やれやれだわ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
FfFfFfFF
20 hours ago, Magnetic Moon said:

What is that?

It says those are dorsal and cephalic shields lightened by a UV flashlight with 395 nm wavelength, if that helps. :poot:

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►