đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Thoughts on Gaga being accused of cultural appropriation?

Focus

Featured Posts

Regina George
Just now, Allie X said:

well..

fCodex0DEEHMpN5YIknBf_KFQn8zH8LavtP4cYem

To be honest it’s just a scarf over her head.. It’s fashion and it used to be popular in 50s/60s even in the USA. Idk. I just don’t see it as offensive. 

FentyGa
9 minutes ago, Regina George said:

Those are clothes and that is hair. Every bit of clothing every single one of us wears is influenced by some culture. Are we all appropriating cultures? 

i think the issue comes in when certain cultures are disrespected. particularly in america, Black culture is not treated with the same respect that other cultures are, and so non-black people wearing certain styles as a trend is kind of tone-deaf.

even if you don’t necessarily agree with the concept of cultural appropriation, it’s not anyone’s place to tell someone whether they should be offended or not. if a black person feels offended by gaga wearing dreadlocks, that’s their prerogative 

NFRatwell
7 minutes ago, KORG said:

Clothes are pieces of woven fabric. Nothing more. 

Hair grown from follicles in most land mammals. 

That's literally it. Nothing more. If you want to claim that a "culture" owns a style of dress, or hairstyle then you have no place on this planet. We are all descended from the same few thousand people.

Get a grip. Get a life. Get some perspective.

Im 0.24% Hispanic according to my dna. Am I allowed to wear a sombrero or not? 

Well you can’t be a percentage Hispanic, you’re either Hispanic or not :bear: there’s no dna that determines it.

Cultural appropriation isnt even a thing, it’s just something somebody created to be offended about and then the dumb ****s that inhabit this planet followed it 

Rj Barker

I don't see a problem with the outfits, I don't usually see any issue with what people refer to as cultural appropriation, I can understand it but It seems to be more of an American thing really. 

Regina George
2 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

i think the issue comes in when certain cultures are disrespected. particularly in america, Black culture is not treated with the same respect that other cultures are, and so non-black people wearing certain styles as a trend is kind of tone-deaf.

even if you don’t necessarily agree with the concept of cultural appropriation, it’s not anyone’s place to tell someone whether they should be offended or not. if a black person feels offended by gaga wearing dreadlocks, that’s their prerogative 

I am muslim. They posted her wearing burqa which connects to Islam. I myself as a muslim woman am not offended by it so I shared my views on it. I am not saying no one should be offended. I am saying I am not offended by it because I don’t agree with the concept of cultural appropriation. 

FentyGa
Just now, Regina George said:

I am muslim. They posted her wearing burqa which connects to Islam. I myself as a muslim woman am not offended by it so I shared my views on it. I am not saying no one should be offended. I am saying I am not offended by it because I don’t agree with the concept of cultural appropriation. 

and you have the right to have that opinion. as long as you still understand that others won’t necessarily agree.

i also think the situation is very different with Black culture specifically, it’s quite a particular case, but that’s besides the point

Economy
15 minutes ago, KORG said:

Clothes are pieces of woven fabric. Nothing more. 

Hair grown from follicles in most land mammals. 

That's literally it. Nothing more. If you want to claim that a "culture" owns a style of dress, or hairstyle then you have no place on this planet. We are all descended from the same few thousand people.

Get a grip. Get a life. Get some perspective.

Im 0.24% Hispanic according to my dna. Am I allowed to wear a sombrero or not? 

Thankyou. To me the whole this culture owns this or that culture owns that is so stupid to me. Were all human beings, we all contribute to culture (that now on a global scale evolves more than ever with an influence of everyone) and like u said we all have many different backgrounds we dont even know about if u go back more than a few generations

If ur mocking a culture, going into something sensitive u dont understand (like something deeply historical or maybe religious) and stuff like that its understandable. There is a place for criticism in appropriation in my view

But 80% of the time theres some issue created i find its just the internet trying too hard to be woke and making a big situation out of nothing

The other day there was a thread of if non blacks should be allowed to wear locks... do u know how many countless cultures since the dawn of time (some of them very influential cultures too like the Greeks or Egyptcians) way before have used simmilar hairstyles?  They did not invent it. Its an easy hair style to come up with and wanna do hence why so many cultures have done it and now u wanna claim someone owns it? Like please :toofunny:

Regina George
2 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

and you have the right to have that opinion. as long as you still understand that others won’t necessarily agree.

i also think the situation is very different with Black culture specifically, it’s quite a particular case, but that’s besides the point

Yes ofc! I understand why black people would have a problem with white people using their culture now after all those years of discrimination. 

js4754394o9823

Nothing better than people defending Gaga for things she, herself think were not okay, lol

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

Chris Thomason

With modern day civilization being a cultural melting pot the fusing of cultures is an inevitability. That being said NOBODY should be discriminated against for wearing garments/hair a certain way

NFRatwell

What’s the difference between Gaga wearing dreadlocks and making a house album if they’re both derived from black culture is my question. Same thing with the south Asian inspired outfit, how are y’all going to like Dancing In Circles which features a sitar but find it offensive when she wears the culture. You can find cultural appropriation in everything anyone does. 

Alannah
37 minutes ago, Keshakira said:

And what’s the difference between Gaga’s hairstyles and Justin’s hairstyles?

Cause most of you freaked out a few hours earlier in this thread

'Most of you' doesn't include me in regards to that thread, but I think Justin's past use of the n-word and reliance on AAVE is the difference. 

• PartySick locked this topic
PartySick

It's dumb. Let's not have this mess here again please :toofunny: if I had a dollar for every time this topic was brought up and became messy, I might actually be able to buy my soul back from Admin.

đź–¤

Archived