đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Justin Bieber accused of cultural appropriation over hairstyle

reallydima

Featured Posts

Monsieur D
2 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Tell that to all the POC who get mocked/shamed/fired for using that same hair style that they originated.  

That's not the point at all :toofunny:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TimisaMonster
36 minutes ago, Delaytica said:

I mean, his mentor is Usher so shouldn't we be looking at Raymond?

What does that have to do with anything? :awkney:

Stream my new single, đź’ś"Heartbeat"đź’ś, on Spotify!

AphroditeLaydee
6 minutes ago, Mister D said:

That's not the point at all :toofunny:

“People still face hair discrimination and stigma for their hair choice. … You can face discrimination by your employer or school."

That's literally quoted on the topic of the post. 

hieronymus

It's hilarious to me that he had that little meltdown about people intentionally using unflattering photos of him for promo but then he also intentionally looks unflattering.

Monsieur D
Just now, AphroditeLaydee said:

“People still face hair discrimination and stigma for their hair choice. … You can face discrimination by your employer or school."

That's literally quoted on the topic of the post. 

Yes I agree with it, but I don't think it's cultural appropation :saladga: that's what I meant.

Discrimination is always wrong, that's not debatable.

but I personally think that anybody can do whatever THEY WANT TO DO WITH THEIR HAIR :madge:

BlingNotTheMusic
10 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

What does that have to do with anything? :awkney:

Usher is black, Bieber is being accused of cultural appropriation.

Nothing. I guess nothing :billie:

PartySick

"We think it's wrong that people's livelihoods are damaged because they wear dreads so we're going to attempt to damage Justin Bieber's livelihood because he wore dreads"

And that's why Twitter brand woke culture is a joke. Sure, it's for different reasons but it's still hypocritical and blind to reality.

The issue is valid enough without making some irrelevant celebrity the villain in your story. You don't always have to cancel people, especially when, at heart, you're right. POC are discriminated against for wearing dreads. That's horribly and ridiculously wrong and we should all be pissed off at anyone who fires a black employee, expels or assaults a black student, excludes a black athlete, etc just because that person wore a cultural hairstyle. 100% behind that. Laws need to be written, employers need to held accountable, schools need to have funding pulled by the proper sources, all that.

Justin Bieber has NOTHING to do with ANY of that though :toofunny: That woke social media/tabloid styled garbage is actively damaging the fight for equality. You can see it on this thread, on Twitter, on the tabloid sites, the story is no longer "POC are facing injustice", now it's "Justin Bieber is ignorant".

/Rant

đź–¤

Born This Way

Oh jesus not white boy dreadlocks :toofunny:

Reset my mind's IP, delete what I don't need

ALGAYDO
27 minutes ago, PartySick said:

So why don't we fight that? Speak out against profiling and prejudice in professional settings? Or normalize the hair styles?

I don't understand why we should care about what's on Justin Bieber's head :rip: it's the wrong angle to approach a valid issue imo. His head is irrelevant.

Until POC stop being literally suspended from schools/fired from their jobs/bullied and mocked for the same style that white people get away with, I think it’s fair to put said white people on blast. Especially when they’re people like JB who have made it known time and time again that they literally don’t give a F about said discrimination. This “outage” only brings to light said issues because whenever POC try to convey why it’s f*cked up that their own creations get sh*t on while white people can use it as an ~aesthetic~ for a little bit like if it were a f*cking costume, when it’s not a costume to begin with. 

Justin Drew Bieber
10 minutes ago, PartySick said:

"We think it's wrong that people's livelihoods are damaged because they wear dreads so we're going to attempt to damage Justin Bieber's livelihood because he wore dreads"

And that's why Twitter brand woke culture is a joke. Sure, it's for different reasons but it's still hypocritical and blind to reality.

The issue is valid enough without making some irrelevant celebrity the villain in your story. You don't always have to cancel people, especially when, at heart, you're right. POC are discriminated against for wearing dreads. That's horribly and ridiculously wrong and we should all be pissed off at anyone who fires a black employee, expels or assaults a black student, excludes a black athlete, etc just because that person wore a cultural hairstyle. 100% behind that. Laws need to be written, employers need to held accountable, schools need to have funding pulled by the proper sources, all that.

Justin Bieber has NOTHING to do with ANY of that though :toofunny: That woke social media/tabloid styled garbage is actively damaging the fight for equality. You can see it on this thread, on Twitter, on the tabloid sites, the story is no longer "POC are facing injustice", now it's "Justin Bieber is ignorant".

/Rant

Perfectly said sis :applause:

Agunimon

I think we should stop screaming cultural appropriation when someone who isn’t black decides to wear dreads or cornrows and tackle the larger issue of the stigma black people face for wearing those hairstyles. 

ALGAYDO
1 minute ago, Agunimon said:

I think we should stop screaming cultural appropriation when someone who isn’t black decides to wear dreads or cornrows and tackle the larger issue of the stigma black people face for wearing those hairstyles. 

But how can we do that when white people keep using black culture as a costume? At the end of the day they can get rid of said styles and go back to their regular lives. But POC can’t without white-washing themselves. 

Monsieur D
20 minutes ago, PartySick said:

/Rant

This

and

this

7 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

That's exactly what I was thinking :applause:

I think we are all agree that discrimination is wrong, ignorant and stupid. 

But that has nothing to do with JB. 

Agunimon
Just now, ALGAYDO said:

But how can we do that when white people keep using black culture as a costume? At the end of the day they can get rid of said styles and go back to their regular lives. But POC can’t without white-washing themselves. 

I think that that’s a pretty big leap. There are many many cultures where dreadlocks are popular. Particularly in Native American origins, Australia, and parts of Greece. It’s not something that is specific to black culture. 

Archived