Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Justin Bieber accused of cultural appropriation over hairstyle

reallydima

Featured Posts

reallydima

Justin Bieber accused of cultural appropriation over hairstyle | The Guardian

“I’m angry because this standard does not exist when a black person simply wears their hair in this way. You can’t just wear something so historically significant and ignore the struggles behind what the hairstyle purports.”

Cohen said Bieber had “no right” to wear the hairstyle.

“My reasoning and understanding of someone wearing something not specific to their culture or ethnicity is that if they cannot speak for black or minority rights [and] be a consistent ally – then they have no right to wear something like locs.”

“People still face hair discrimination and stigma for their hair choice. … You can face discrimination by your employer or school. [Bieber] is seen as a dilettante, a person who’s dipping his toe in the culture, without any real commitment or knowledge of the style’s history.”

He's seeming a little tone-deaf. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, we have to listen to the black community. Of course they are not a monolith so many will say it is ok but if the overwhelming majority say no it is not ok as people who are not black we need to respect their opinion because this is directly impacting them as a people and directly involving their heritage and culture.

I am one of those people who usually loves mixing of different cultures, trying new things of different cultures, learning language, jokes, sayings etc...of other nations and peoples BUT if that culture says there are some things that are HANDS OFF then we as outsiders must always respect that. Always. 

ALGAYDO
Just now, Saint Hollywood said:

He is the perfect example of performative activism.

Exactly. Like the fact that he used MLK to promote his album, then admitted to not really knowing much about MLK. Like.... 

Future Lovers

See, this is a little complicated because I don't know that we can simply call him wearing the style cultural appropriation seeing as he isn't really taking any benefit from it. This hairstyle is of course very near and dear to the black community and holds a very special historical significance. While it isn't specific to their culture as it has existed in other cultures for centuries, nobody'll deny it's most closely associated with that community and that is more than likely his exposure to said hairstyle. And it is often appropriated and used for gain on somebody who is very decidedly not in that community. I think motive is where the tipping point lays. If he was out here wearing the hairstyle as part of his product, complete with other uses of the culture just for an aesthetic (looking at the majority of the white rappers out there...) then absolutely that's an issue and deserves to be called out. With this though, kinda like when Adele wore that hairstyle last summer that she got in trouble for, I don't know that it's really appropriation as much as it just a poor choice. 

Now that's not to say he's not been guilty of cultural appropriation in the past because he absolutely has. Even as recently as this year. In this specific instance though I'm not so sure. 

TimisaMonster

He's been trying to be black for YEARS...this isn't new and he won't change...:awkney:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

BlingNotTheMusic
9 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

He's been trying to be black for YEARS...this isn't new and he won't change...:awkney:

I mean, his mentor is Usher so shouldn't we be looking at Raymond?

Monsieur D

i do not like him at all, but at this point everything is considered "cultural appropation", it's beyond stupid :nails: 

just let people be 

GRIMEZSZ

this is too much. i don't like him but c'mon people this is not cultural appropriation.

Chic

His literal brand has always been cultural appropriation, so he’s not going to get truly cancelled for it unfortunately

Chromatography

what hair are we talking about? pics aren’t there/aren’t loading 

GagaStefi

how can you be accused of something if the proof is right there? :rip:

ALGAYDO
25 minutes ago, Mister D said:

i do not like him at all, but at this point everything is considered "cultural appropation", it's beyond stupid :nails: 

just let people be 

Tell that to all the POC who get mocked/shamed/fired for using that same hair style that they originated.  

PartySick
Just now, ALGAYDO said:

Tell that to all the POC who get mocked/shamed/fired for using that same hair style that they originated.  

So why don't we fight that? Speak out against profiling and prejudice in professional settings? Or normalize the hair styles?

I don't understand why we should care about what's on Justin Bieber's head :rip: it's the wrong angle to approach a valid issue imo. His head is irrelevant.

🖤

Archived