Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Spotify price increases in Europe

Living

Featured Posts

Living

“Spotify is getting pricier in Europe, and users aren’t happy.

The company recently started sending emails to some subscribers, warning them of an incoming price hike, starting April 30. At least one Mashable staffer in the UK got the email on Monday […]

The price increases seem to differ depending on the plan. According to Android Police, for students, the price will go up from £4.99 to £5.99. For individuals, the price will (probably) also increase by £1, from £9.99 to £10.99. Finally, for Family plans, the price will increase by £2, from £14.99 to £16.99”

https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/26/spotify-price-rise-facebook-player/#disqus_thread

Living

My take: While Spotify continues to hemorrhage money this is not a shock, just like Netflix, the subscription model continues to show that is not only not sustainable, but prices will begin to increase yearly to stay afloat. 

im personally subbed to Apple Music which is already barely worth it to me, I’m thinking of cutting Netflix as it’s gone from £5.99 to £10 a month and the quality is getting worse. Not interested I all these subs tbh

dopega

If they would pay the artists more then I'd be fine with it but looks like I'm cancelling my subscribtion :billie:

Loyalty

Meanwhile, they’re introducing new methods to continue lowering artists royalties... record labels need to remove their music from that app. Seriously. 

Chuckles

I'm just retaining my student account until it expires. Never paid for Spotify premium before, I grew patient of the ads.

TSUNAMI

Canceling my subscription. 

Going to Tidal because the quality of music is perfect. They own masters. 

Also, Tidal has a better choice of music. 

Luna Lovegood

Back to the good ole days of mp3 downloader I guess 

luna’s advocate

Lucas

Sucks but I guess ~1€ per month isn't THAT bad.

That's what I fear for the future though, all those streaming sites will become more and more expensive :crossed: 

Glamourpuss

Streaming has become so normal that we've taken it for granted. We're lucky that we get access to so many songs and can listen to dozens in a day. 

There was a time not so long ago when we had to buy an album to listen to it, or wait to borrow it from a friend, and we had to wait for our favourite song to come on the radio to record it or illegally download it. 

It's a small price to pay to have access to all that music BUT after saying all that I'm not happy with the price change either and might cancel my premium subscription. :ladyhaha:

MonsterofFame
25 minutes ago, Loyalty said:

Meanwhile, they’re introducing new methods to continue lowering artists royalties... record labels need to remove their music from that app. Seriously. 

Apparently Spotify pays about 1/2 cent per stream, which means without factoring any business costs in, a user would have to stream 2000 songs/month before they start losing money. Apple Music pays $0.01/stream so only 1000 per month. Many people stream that much if not more. Spotify is still barely profitable.

If anything, people should be advocating for record companies to reduce the royalties they take from the artist.

Loyalty
7 minutes ago, MonsterofFame said:

Apparently Spotify pays about 1/2 cent per stream, which means without factoring any business costs in, a user would have to stream 2000 songs/month before they start losing money. Apple Music pays $0.01/stream so only 1000 per month. Many people stream that much if not more. Spotify is still barely profitable.

If anything, people should be advocating for record companies to reduce the royalties they take from the artist.

Spotify pays on average 0.0036 per stream... 

RAMROD

They really gotta remove the geo block if they wanna hike it like that. It is not cool to have some albums/songs available in certain countries and blocked on the rest. 

I understand this is also copyrights thingie, but if they manage to force labels to agree with their terms on royalty, (which I am not a fan of), they likely can talk them into letting them put albums and songs in all regions where their service are available. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Supersonic
26 minutes ago, MonsterofFame said:

Spotify pays 0.0036 per stream as a royalty overall, which then gets split between labels, songwriters & performers. Apple pays approx. 1 cent per stream.

But you're not wrong about record companies and how they take too much. Like yeah, they have lots of employees but, lbr: the money isn't going to the thousands of middle and lower class employees of a record label, it goes straight to the pockets of the CEOs.

Archived