Harry Styles serves The Little Mermaid

COOOK

Featured Posts

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NFRatwell
5 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

I understand that, and I'm not singling out this one photoshoot. It seems like he gets so much praise for doing the minimum possible, for the lone reason of...being a conventionally attractive white male?

So many other men and women REALLY break gender stereotype boundaries and rules, and they barely get any recognition, or are even shunned for it. This guy is having fun, sure, but always from the safe space of his privilege without ever even risking to put it on the line.

So where are your threads and your appreciation posts for these people? 

BUtterfield 8
13 hours ago, Shawniqua Mendes said:

Disappointed ngl.

I expected something like this:messga:

received-978322565955092.jpg

Why they added flounder to this :selena:

RadioIsOurs
11 hours ago, Monstruous said:

What’s expected of women in the industry vs what’s expected of men

Men don't even get expected to wear crazy **** like this :triggered:

RadioIsOurs
1 minute ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

It's their toy :vegas:

monstrosity
1 hour ago, RadioIsOurs said:

Men don't even get expected to wear crazy **** like this :triggered:

I’m talking of effort here

Karen Smith
16 hours ago, Trixie Mattel said:

fdzm6w8fv7011.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Omg THANK YOU i was searching for thic pic for ages :saladga: amazing même material

CautiousLurker
8 hours ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

He likes to watch :vegas:

OP: Candace Owens is gonna have a field day with this :sweat:

BradleyCooper

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, I don’t know much about Harry’s history in the industry, but is there a reason he hasn’t come out? (Assuming he’s queer)

NCgaga
23 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Always wearing femininity like a costume instead of actually embracing that he has a feminine side. Who is he trying to appeal to with this?

How do you know he is wearing it as a costume? Just let him be himself, damn. The LGBTQ had some of the most judgmental jerks.  No wonder so many of us are afraid to open up. We have to deal with people like you. 

YOU DONT GET TO TELL SOMEONE HOW FEMININE OR MASCULINE THEY CAN BE. 

NCgaga
13 hours ago, NFRatwell said:

13 hours ago, NFRatwell said:

This. People have an outrage level they have to meet everyday. Anyone in the industry is priveleged. But they all don’t expresss themselves how they want to. Let him be himself, without our community being judge mental assholes about it. 

Thomas P
18 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

I understand that, and I'm not singling out this one photoshoot. It seems like he gets so much praise for doing the minimum possible, for the lone reason of...being a conventionally attractive white male?

So many other men and women REALLY break gender stereotype boundaries and rules, and they barely get any recognition, or are even shunned for it. This guy is having fun, sure, but always from the safe space of his privilege without ever even risking to put it on the line.

If he ever comes out one day, I just know people will praise him to the moon and back, again simply for being who he is, but conventionally attractive at that. It's a bit like the Bachelor guy coming out, who got so much praise just because he's so handsome and conventionally masculine. If he was a bit more effeminate, people would be saying the worst things about him.

I like that he does these things if he likes to, and everyone should have that right, which I'm not denying. I just don't understand the overwhelming praise for him over other arguably more deserving people. It's frustrating that society keeps idolizing straight-friendly whitewashed versions of queerness or racial expression instead of the real heroes who put their lives on the line to achieve some kind of social progress.

Anyway, he looks funny lol :vegas:

You’re absolutely right. 

I’ve been someone who has praised him for this to the moon and back in the past, and I love that he does experiment with his style as i think that’s something everyone should be encouraged to do. 

At the same time, it’s becoming really frustrating that he’s somehow become the face of existing outside the binary. Yes, he dresses nice and doesn’t adhere to toxic masculinity standards, but he’s only able to do that because of the figures of queer history who were persecuted for exactly that reason. 

Harry shouldn’t be the person receiving all this credit. He should be appreciated as someone who is able to exist in the aftermath of the hard work done by the people who came before him.

This isn’t meant to tear him down, I love his style and encourage him to keep pushing that line, I just wish he wouldn’t be people’s go to to praise for this.

Once again, even a couple months ago this area served as more of a blind spot, but I’ve grown to see the broader issues that comes from it. 

Spoiler

This isn’t to tear down Harry, I love him and his music. It’s more meant to speak to the broader issue (one that has been amplified by some of the popular guys on tiktok) of cis-het white men being praised endlessly for not adhering to the confines of gender when their are others who made it possible for them who are still getting in relentless trouble for it (look no further than the backlash against Lil Nas X). 

EDIT: I also wanna make sure that this doesn’t sound like i’m blaming Harry or gate-keeping fashion. I think it’s wonderful what he does, and I know he’s not doing it for attention or for praise (and I genuinely don’t think he’s queer bating), I think he’s just being himself and expressing himself. I just wish other people were uplifted for this kinda stuff first, if that makes sense.  

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Archived