💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Aretha and Tina Turner's Feud

Varys

Featured Posts

Varys

So here is a quick little feud story

so at the 50th grammy awards in 2008 Beyoncé peformed the Proud Mary with the legendary Tina Turner (and stepped on Tina's foot by accident :billie:)

tumblr_ms8tdjFXFA1r877b7o5_250.gifv

she announced tina as the Queen.

Aretha Franklin was not amused by this

tfibviiwzv9f144navnv.gif

the R-E-S-P-E-C-T singer said in a statement: I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce, however I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy. In addition to that, I thank the Grammys and the voting academy for my 20th Grammy and love to Beyonce anyway.

when Tina caught wind of it she came out with her own statement: Aretha has always been like that. We’ve always accepted that from her. She’s the queen of soul, and I’m the queen of rock ‘n’ roll. There were so many kings and queens there that night. Her ego must be so big to think she was the only one. That’s how queens are

tenor.gif?itemid=10787114

Aretha put out a second statement and had the last word:

I have always appreciated what Tina Turner has to offer and had quietly cheered her on after Ike and her subsequent success. However, with respect to her statement concerning my ego clearly she was talking about herself as she described herself as the ‘Queen of Rock’ and saying ‘that’s what Queens do,’ particularly since she does not have a clue as to who I am in view of the fact that we have never met.

I never figured her to resort to tacky press just to sell a few tickets. I understand and I know that the concert market is down where ticket sales are concerned. I really had put her in a different class – higher than that. Finally, no one has been more gracious or complimentary to their peers than I have and I am confident and secure enough to do so, unlike some others. I wish Ms. Turner all the best, as I always have. Perhaps one day we will meet.

so what does ggd think?  :oprah: 

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020

Guillaume Hamon

Sad to see great artists fighting...

Why did Aretha started this mess over a queen title? I prefer gaga saying "I don't care about your throne I have my own", there's place for many Queens.

Chromatikitten

That was not very #StopTheDramaStartTheMusic #PromoteOnlineKindness of these 2 legendaric Tricons 

She's meditating guys — She's died

GucciGa

Aretha was a little uptight 🙄 a little humility doesnt hurt any one. 

😇

Regina George

Seems like they had too much free time on their hands :triggered: This is embarrassing for such icons. 

Varys
31 minutes ago, PussPuss said:

Hateretha :bear:

Off topic but who is in your avi :lolly:

Banned 04/19/2020 - 04/19/2020

androiduser

Aretha Franklin has always been catty and dismissive of other female artists. To think that announcing Tina Turner as the Queen was a jab at her is ridiculous.

DpHitch1992

Tbh as a fued this is quite mature compared to these days? Lol They both respectively said how they felt on the matter 

One thing though...Tina Turner is the queen of rock and roll ✌

Knife

I mean, all of this seems to stem from Beyonce, an upstart in the eyes of Aretha Franklin, thinking she was qualified to crown Tina Turner a "queen."

I mean, put yourself in Aretha Franklin's shoes at the time: you're morbidly obese near the end of your life, not as active when it comes to performing and singing, and now you get to watch as your legacy is being diminished. I'm sure that is a bitter pill to swallow.

weed

Lol immature but also very mature at the same time, started over nothing but nothing said was particularly petty and they respected each other.

LuvitLevit

While it may seem petty, we gotta understand that these legends are and we’re human as well.  The feuds were legendary, but often there was a profound level of respect.  They still were able to share kind words to each other within their statements. I’d take this over the constant put downs and negativity we see more today. 

weed
1 minute ago, Knife said:

put yourself in Aretha Franklin's shoes at the time: you're morbidly obese near the end of your life

mqdefault.jpg

Archived