Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Which Gaga album had more dated production?

AMENiCURE

Which Gaga album had more dated production?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. More dated production?

• ARTPOP
    • Chromatica

Featured Posts

GovernmentHookah
14 minutes ago, youandi said:

I don't think either were massively dated as such, more just that if ARTPOP had released when she wanted it out, it'd have been more inline with what was cool but with a new perspective on it. 

It's hard to say Chromatica sounds dated when its nearly all based on older sounds, like it's inspired by them, it's an homage so i wouldn't say that's dated. The production on Free Woman and maybeeeeeee 1000 Doves does, however, miss the mark a little for me in terms of what sounds they were emulating, which is a shame because a polished version of the Free Woman demo would have been fantastic but the drop and other bits aren't amazing imo

SFA sounds like a Swedish House Mafia production from the early 2010s. Other than that, Chromatica is inspired by House music from the late 80s/early 90s.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ricardo

for me it's ARTPOP and not because EDM was dated back then but I think ARTPOP came late to the party, late 2013 and we were done with that EDM sound, I still think it'd have done amazing if released in 2012

Jose P

I mean, ARTPOP sounds very distinctly 2012-2013 EDM. I love it nonetheless, it’s not like it’s a bad thing. But it’s true. 

Chromatica does have Free Woman though, which is like a 2015 pop song with that drop.

To me dated means a sound that's gone out and hasn't come back in again (yet). Since trends are cyclical, most sounds come back around again so "dated" and "before it's time" can almost mean the same things :enigma:

Anyways I picked Chromatica because some of the 80s sounds that they used are not the sound that has come back in again (parts of Free Woman and 1000 Doves) so to me those parts stand out and don't sound right/sound dated

ARTPOP has a little of that too but it's harder for me to place, like it doesn't stand out as much. I love both albums tho :heart:

Bloody hooker

ARTPOP and Chromatica productions aren’t necessarily dated, but they do play into the trends that were set during their releases. I think Chromatica is going to be a dated album despite being House based.

Most songs on ARTPOP sound like they could be released now and still sound fresh. Aura, G.U.Y., Swine, Donatella, and MJH are either heavily based in the complextro genre or inspired by the genre. That genre does sound a tad dated, but still good. Also keep in mind that Gaga did start working on ARTPOP literally right after Born This Way was released (like a few days or weeks), so that’s where the dated idea feel for some may come from.

Chromatica main underlying genre is house which is timeless. The only songs that sound dated is Free Woman and Fun Tonight. They both sound like the could have been released in 2015 during the tropical house era. SFA in my opinion doesn’t sound dated, because it sounds like a longer version of most songs released under the future house genre as of late. Despite Axwell being a part of SHM, the only song SFA could sound like is Don’t You Worry Child. Even then that’s still a bit of a stretch. Everything else sounds similar to 90’s house or current popular sub-house genres (deep house and future house).

This mutual gaze was a “longing to touch” or a "pre-coitus" stare.

HuffsAhoy

I definitely feel transported back to 2013 when I listen to ARTPOP because the instrumentals are product of their time. It sounds "dated" but it's really no different than listening to Like a Virgin or any other 80s music. To me Chromatica is timeless. The production is some of the best I've ever heard and years from now people will kick themselves for speaking ill of it 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

HuffsAhoy
1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

for me it's ARTPOP and not because EDM was dated back then but I think ARTPOP came late to the party, late 2013 and we were done with that EDM sound, I still think it'd have done amazing if released in 2012

I've always believed that ARTPOP would have been a fantastic follow up to The Fame. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

elijahfan

"Dated" doesn't mean much anymore nowadays, since artists are taking inspiration from a lot of different eras. Gaga isn't particularly known for following trends, so I'd say most of her discography is pretty timeless and would still sound fresh today.

However, I guess the album of hers that was the most "on trend" with the musical landscape of the time was ARTPOP, but I don't believe it aged badly.

KURUSHITOVSKA
2 hours ago, Stan KDA said:

Technically Chromatica since the whole album's production revolves around 90's house except SL which is more 80's synthpop. EDM isn't considered dated yet.

ARTPOP's EDM sounds nothing like todays EDM. The album production sounds like 2011-2 EDM. It even had recycled instrumentals from 2011 so yup, dated af. That's why Zedd hasn't had hits in the last 5 years but David Guetta has.

ARTPOP sounds like this (8 years old)

EDM today sounds like this

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

Lucas

Imo the only song that is really dated from ARTPOP or Chromatica is G.U.Y. The production of the song is very old school Zedd and that feels like 2012

js4754394o9823
3 hours ago, AMENiCURE said:

Chromatica was labeled as pop music from 2013

Who said that?

It's mostly house music

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

Anderson123

Chromatica has the magic to take me back to the 90's but still have this clean and modern sound to it. Free Woman does sound like that 2015-2016 tropical pop and 1000 Doves reminds me of those water commercials but are still good songs. I can see myself listening to this album for many years.

ARTPOP is a good album but does have a couple of "dated" stuff on it like Jewels N' Drugs, Manicure, Donatella and maybe GUY, MJH and Gypsy. Still manages to work in 2021 but it has always been chaotic and that's the magic of it.

Archived