Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is ARTPOP mainly dissed for being EDM?

Starmie25

Featured Posts

Starmie25
32 minutes ago, AJRocketMan said:

Not true, 4/4 dance music was still hugely successful in 2013 and even as far as 2015. It only started to truly taper off at the end of 2015 when the Chainsmokers released Roses. That’s when slower electronic “dance” music became popular.

Feel This Moment, Clarity, Timber, Waiting for Love, Summer, Runaway, Blame, Take Me Home, If I Lose Myself, etc too. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quartz

I think because it felt like it was a step back sonically especially after such an experimental born this way.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

lilboyblue

It never really bothered me that there was a huge EDM influence on the record. I remember how happy I was when I learned Zedd AND Madeon were collaborating with Gaga. At this point, "Clarity" was just a year old and Madeon is still an up-and-comer, and they were making some of the most symphonic, moving pieces of EDM at the time. Madeon's "The City" remains one of my favorite tracks.

If anything, I felt Gaga didn't embrace EDM enough. Like she used EDM merely to dress up her songs. The themes she wrote about for ARTPOP also weren't relatable enough for me. I remember getting frustrated then that I had no idea what she was talking about half the time. :ohno:

lilboyblue

I realize now that the DJWS-produced tracks are my least favorite in the album. 

Xenoqueen

If we’re gonna talk about generic beat drops, Chromatica is the guiltiest offender. Replay, 1000 Doves, Sine From Above, Free Woman, Stupid Love, Rain On Me, Enigma...hell it’s easier to just name the ones that don’t have beat drops. 

911 and Alice. 

flyaway

ARTPOP will always be an interesting case. This is not a typical pop album in terms of production. Many compare its music to the typical EDM sound of the time, but it's quite different from that. Sure, at the end it belongs to the genre, but it is way more complex and it has a lot of influences from other music genres (house, techno, r&b, hiphop, rock). 

I will say the problem with the album lays in the contrast between Gaga's vocals and the instrumentals. Unlike Chromatica, where both are able to coexist, in ARTPOP you can listen and notice a big contrast. Sometimes that leads to it being very loud and kind of tiring. 

In anyway, I wouldn't just call it an EDM mess. It was detailed and crafted to be something unique, and it still is.

S0436

The problem was in the name “ARTPOP”, it was too egotistic for the public to take to, put the music on a higher pedestal and this was during her overexposure period too.  I think if the album was called anything else but that it would have done better.  

r4therupbeat

it got released too late comparing to when she recorded it and EDM had faded - also backlash and hater towards her from the gp made the situation worse than it was. (also management issues etc)

Starmie25
5 minutes ago, r4therupbeat said:

it got released too late comparing to when she recorded it and EDM had faded - also backlash and hater towards her from the gp made the situation worse than it was. (also management issues etc)

But EDM hadn't faded yet. Even in 2014-2015 it was still going in the mainstream 

r4therupbeat
1 minute ago, Staryu17 said:

But EDM hasn't faded yet

define EDM for you then cause EDM on ARTPOP was no longer around when it came out and it was super dated. 

Unless you mean 'dance music'?

Starmie25
3 minutes ago, r4therupbeat said:

define EDM for you then cause EDM on ARTPOP was no longer around when it came out and it was super dated. 

Unless you mean 'dance music'?

In Europe and aus EDM tracks were still going strong even up till 2015, and by 2016 it slowly warped into tropical-house I guess. 

Nathaniel Arven

Gaga always puts her artistic flair over anything she does. She can be seriously funny or grotesque sad. ARTPOP has a looot of replay value for me over the time, I think more than BTW or anything else. 

and issa fact that it's EDM oriented. It makes me feel like female Prodigy right now idk why. 

A MESS
16 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

In Europe and aus EDM tracks were still going strong even up till 2015, and by 2016 it slowly warped into tropical-house I guess. 

ugh tropical house, I wanna puke

Генерал Марина Абрамовић

artpopulace

I understand that most say that "EDM has faded" because of the likes of Zedd and David Guetta but is it? It was pretty much active and led the way for Chainsmokers from 2015-2017. For me, it was not too late, too EDM, or what not. It was only dissed because it "flopped" compared to Born This Way and Prism at the time. But it was successful, arguably not just as well as Gaga's previous albums. I think it is not over-produced as well, like can some people explain why they think it's over produced specifically?

I think most are just swayed by the "popular" opinion to hate the album and say it's overproduced just like how most media outfits made it appear like its a failure :oops:

the milky way is 𝓵𝓲𝓫𝓮𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰

r4therupbeat
44 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

Agreed but the sound evolved. Everyone I played ARTPOP to at the time said the sound was from the year before and I felt that too. I think it started with the BTW Remix album were all the remixes sounded dated especially the MTN remix

Archived