Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is ARTPOP mainly dissed for being EDM?

Starmie25

Featured Posts

Starmie25

ARTPOP is a whole lot of colour and flavour - electronic, synth pop, disco, funk, rock, trap, techno and a whole lot more, foreal. 

Thou over the years I've mainly noticed it gets dubbed as "EDM Noise", "DATED ON ARRIVAL" by stans but why? Yes I suppose it's mainly within the EDM genre (electronic dance music), but EDM can/is be great and I feel ARTPOP showcased that well and gave it even more umm, character and weirdness. It had a bit more extra bite! minus a few cliche drops thrown here and there - Swine, Donatella lol. 

It's just odd how selective people are when it comes to genres and styles, especially the electronic umbrella and well, ARTPOP. 

We have a genre from 40 years back in the mainstream again (Disco), so why not EDM? 

What are your thoughts... 🔮

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Magic Mike

The problem isn’t EDM, is the formulas that were abused, the easy effects like clapping alongside the beat. Art pop promises, but fulfills only in some songs and the whole isn’t greater than the sum  of the parts; in other words experimentation should have been taken even further. I really hope Lg7 is more experimentation, pure music and pushing the boundaries of the commercial music towards unique electronic symphonies. Sophie or Arca or Oneohtrix Point Never influenced these recent times so much and it’s time to honour them . Forget outdated EDM, think ahead

Agunimon

I bring up that its EDM in discussions.

My problem with it isn't that it's EDM. I love EDM. It's that it's talked about and revered in such a way that it's something that is so out of the box. When that's not what I found it to be at all.

It might have been an exploration of sound for Gaga, but for the producers who worked on it (Zedd, Madeon and DJWS in particular), it's very on par with what they do and followed a lot of trends typically found in raw EDM at the time. The instrumental to Aura, GUY, and Swine in particular.

It was also talked about by her in such a way that when it dropped, it failed to meet my expectations, especially following The Fame Monster and Born This Way.

RhopaloceraEFFECT

The problem is that the hype was really big for ARTPOP .. the fans expected something revolutionary that can push the Bandary even more  specially after the impact of born this way on the music industry.. but the final result failed to meet their expectation cause ARTPOP ended up being a late jump on the train of a tired trend (EDM) . 

Still love the album BTW .

Starmie25
16 minutes ago, RhopaloceraEFFECT said:

The problem is that the hype was really big for ARTPOP .. the fans expected something revolutionary that can push the Bandary even more  specially after the impact of born this way on the music industry.. but the final result failed to meet their expectation cause ARTPOP ended up being a late jump on the train of a tired trend (EDM) . 

Still love the album BTW .

But EDM was still going strong in 2013/2014, least here and Europe 

Damon

i really don't get why people are mad about it? it's actually the best genre to develop an album with the concept she had in mind

if you think of the songs who fans love the most/most representative ones, aura, g.u.y, venus or swine definitely are the most common ones, because they gave you that avant-grade popart feeling with hard beats which gaga was portraying on other aspects like fashion or visuals

... and now i just sit in silence.

Starmie25
1 hour ago, Agunimon said:

I bring up that its EDM in discussions.

My problem with it isn't that it's EDM. I love EDM. It's that it's talked about and revered in such a way that it's something that is so out of the box. When that's not what I found it to be at all.

It might have been an exploration of sound for Gaga, but for the producers who worked on it (Zedd, Madeon and DJWS in particular), it's very on par with what they do and followed a lot of trends typically found in raw EDM at the time. The instrumental to Aura, GUY, and Swine in particular.

It was also talked about by her in such a way that when it dropped, it failed to meet my expectations, especially following The Fame Monster and Born This Way.

Aura? That might be one of the most "experimental" beats from that whole album. 

Agunimon
12 minutes ago, Staryu17 said:

Aura? That might be one of the most "experimental" beats from that whole album. 

Like I said, it’s experimental to her and in the context of the album it’s a standout track. I used Aura as an example and explained why: it follows trends found in raw EDM, because if you’ve ever been to an EDM festival, 99% of the tracks sound similar to that. So many artists take inspiration from Infected Mushroom. Again, that’s not the criticism I have over it. 

Wet Fire

Because Aura leak set the bar really high for fans. People were expecting weird, chaotic, boisterous (in good ways, of course) productions all along. But some of the songs didn't deliver: Applause wasn't the "We're not sure if the radio is ready for this sound" kind of song. It's a beautiful EDM album. But not really experimental.

To put it in context, when Beyonce dropped her self-titled album a couple of months after ARTPOP, many critics called it "the real ARTPOP". Because it experimented with song structure, genres, sound etc.

ARTPOP is a great pop album. Just not as experimental as the hype suggested. 

Starmie25
17 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Probably because in late 2013, everyone was bored of EDM

Were they? It was still going strong in 2014 tbh (edm) on charts 

It goes back to the main problem with the album. A lot of promises for an ok delivery. They promised us the future when in reality it sounded like 2012. At that time, the future consisted of minimalism, introspective sounds and lyrics. 

AJRocketMan

I really don’t understand either. All of Gaga’s album up to then were technically EDM. **Electronic** - **Dance** - **Music**. That’s Lady Gaga. It’s her brand.

I also don’t understand why many fans complain about ARTPOP being overproduced when in fact, ALL of Gaga’s music overproduced. And it’s not just her either — virtually every artist in the 21st century that makes electronic dance music sounds overproduced, which has been a consequence of the rise of the Digital Audio Workstation as it has allowed artists to make a song with an infinite number of tracks. NERD, Felix da Housecat, Miss Kittin, Eric Prydz, David Guetta, Tiesto, Zedd, Skrillex, Deadmau5, Calvin Harris, Dr. Luke, Max Martin, Stargate, Benny Blanco, Madeon, Porter Robinson, RedOne, Fernando Garibay, DJ Snake, Tchami, Dillon Francis, Deorro, (I could go on and on...) all of these producers, artists or not, have made or still make music that uses WAY too many tracks for a single song. Singling out ARTPOP is unfair and misses the bigger picture.

I will say this: The post-production of the record was not very good, and there’s way too much dynamic range compression used in these songs. ARTPOP really could have benefitted from more equalization and the use of panning and leveling of certain channels. Unfortunately, it was the trend at the time within dance and electronic music to use as many channels as desired and to make everything as loud as possible. Some dance music still follows this pattern!

AJRocketMan
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Probably because in late 2013, everyone was bored of EDM

Not true, 4/4 dance music was still hugely successful in 2013 and even as far as 2015. It only started to truly taper off at the end of 2015 when the Chainsmokers released Roses. That’s when slower electronic “dance” music became popular.

Archived