💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
general

Did Marina plagiarize Natalia Oreiro?

rinasawachanta

Featured Posts

rinasawachanta

(((please move to the corresponding section)))

Marina Diamandis has just revealed the cover of her new single "Purge the poison".

marina-purge.jpg

As soon as I saw it, I noticed the unquestionable resemblance to the aesthetics that Natalia Oreiro adopted for her song "Tu veneno" (from her 1999 album of the same name).

maxresdefault.jpg

Natalia Oreiro is a famous Uruguayan actress and singer based in Argentina (the country where she has spent her entire career) and who has been a huge success in Russia.

If you don't speak Spanish you'll say it's just a coincidence, that the bangs and leather fashion is similar. But aha, here's the thing: "Tu veneno" means "Your poison" :gum:

You may say, but if Marina doesn't speak Spanish...? I can tell you that Marina not only showed her love for Argentina (particularly for the city of Buenos Aires) when she came to Argentina for Lollapalooza.

And, this is the most important thing, a few days ago she shared a video on skates with the song "Tu veneno" (!)... but by J. Balvin.

The funny thing is that if you search for "Tu veneno" on Youtube, the second suggestion is indeed Natalia Oreiro's song.

What do you think: similar, inspiration or blatant copy?

In the meantime, let's stream this magnificent track:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brainiac

I didn't know people could own looks now. If anything its inspired by it. You can't plagiarize someone's aesthetic.

When I say aesthetic I'm talking about a specific look or outfit. An entire music video or scene in a video would be a different story.

rinasawachanta
1 minute ago, Brainiac said:

I didn't know people could own looks now. If anything its inspired by it. You can't plagiarize someone's aesthetic. 

Oh, Marina doesn't think the same :oops:

Brainiac
2 minutes ago, rinasawachanta said:

What she's talking about is completely different. People are mad because she looks like she's wearing similar hair. Even the outfit is completely different in Marina's single cover.

Tiny Purse

I guess in that case Gaga’s entire aesthetic from her early career is plagiarizing David Bowie 

rinasawachanta
Just now, Brainiac said:

What she's talking about is completely different. People are mad because she looks like she's wearing similar hair. Even the outfit is completely different in Marina's single cover.

Marina was referring to the resemblance between these two images.... I don't find it very different from what I am pointing out...

marina-charli-xcx-froot.jpg

DenDenTired

Marina was referring to the resemblance between these two images.... I don't find it very different from what I am pointing out...

marina-charli-xcx-froot.jpg

You seem awfully invested in this and have clearly made your mind 

youandi

Marina, as much as I love her, is also known for contradicting herself with 'broad' statements and some interesting hot takes. 

I think this all depends, if she was to straight up copy something that had come out in the past year, whether that's explicitly highjacking someone's aesthetic or whatever, that would be bad. I feel like it's different when it's clearly a reference or seemingly a homage to something, especially something that's been known about for a long time, ala Gaga with the lightning bolt reference to Bowie during The Fame. For another example, was Gaga plagiarising The Wizard Of Oz when she did a live performance based on it? I feel like you can be inspired and pay homage quite heavily when there's clear intent there or respect for the source material 

rinasawachanta
1 minute ago, Tiny Purse said:

I guess in that case Gaga’s entire aesthetic from her early career is plagiarizing David Bowie 

The difference is that Gaga recognized the inspiration she found in Bowie, and Bowie is an icon who could not be affected in any way by another artist taking on an aesthetic similar to his. On the other hand, Natalia Oreiro is a "minor" Latin American artist, and it would seem that in such cases the extractivist inspiration is considered "justified". The problem is that, for the general public and around the world, this aesthetic will be associated with Marina when it was created by a Latin artist many years ago.

DenDenTired
1 minute ago, rinasawachanta said:

The difference is that Gaga recognized the inspiration she found in Bowie, and Bowie is an icon who could not be affected in any way by another artist taking on an aesthetic similar to his. On the other hand, Natalia Oreiro is a "minor" Latin American artist, and it would seem that in such cases the extractivist inspiration is considered "justified". The problem is that, for the general public and around the world, this aesthetic will be associated with Marina when it was created by a Latin artist many years ago.

No one is thinking this deeply about a styled wig, pinky promise. 

Cherries

This sounds like when Madonna accused Gaga of stealing her work. I feel MARINA is honoring her work. I don't know much about bot of these artists but i feel this is an act of honoring. 

I've learned love is like a brick. You can build a house or sink a dead body

Maybe it’s on purpose. Maybe she wanted to embody and reference her in her upcoming single.

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua

rinasawachanta
9 minutes ago, SOON said:

Maybe it’s on purpose. Maybe she wanted to embody and reference her in her upcoming single.

16 minutes ago, Cherries said:

This sounds like when Madonna accused Gaga of stealing her work. I feel MARINA is honoring her work. I don't know much about bot of these artists but i feel this is an act of honoring. 

I really hope because I love both of them, just wanted to point out the resemblance 💕

Galvon

The only similarity I see is the hair. But did Natalia invent that/made that hairstyle her trademark? Because I believe I've seen it more before.

Edit: Oh and the song title is similar.

She was probably inspired.

Archived