💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Are we living through the end of "Diva Worship"?

Bebe

Featured Posts

Bebe

For those who are unfamiliar with the term of "Diva Worship" it's basically the tendency for gay man to stan female "Diva's" whether older artists such as Diana Ross, Cher, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Madonna, Janet Jackson and Dolly Parton or more contemporary artists like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Ariana Grande or Nicki Minaj.

There is a bit of research on the topic with a number of theories including that, for many gay men, there is an inability to attach and identify with men or the brand of masculinity that they represent in popular music or film.  Another theory is that we gay men live vicariously through divas who are able to express themselves as strong, are often camp and are still able to snare handsome heterosexual men. We don't relate to figures like Justin Bieber or Drake who remind us of our "oppressors" and of an unattainable masculinity that we don't relate to. We also respect women who, despite the patriarchy, have risen to the top of their fields and express a particular kind of "strong femininity" and comfortability in themselves.

Either way, the world is changing and representation is changing. There is an increasing amount of openly gay artists whether that be Frank Ocean, Sam Smith, Troye Sivan or Lil Nas X.

Montero (Call Me By Your Name) is unashamedly Queer, includes lyrics in the lover in question's gender is explicitly mentioned and also includes references to gay sex acts. It is a #1 hit. There have been Gay male performers before (Think Elton John or Sam Smith) but often they either don't mention the gender of their lover in their songs or they mention women. Similarly, we have had very queen male performers before (Think David Bowie or Harry Styles) but they have never identified or been public about any male relationships.

Shows like RuPaul's Drag Race, Pose, EastEnder's among others are also centred around gay culture and gay relationships.

I just wonder, as the world continues to progress, whether Diva's will continue to be relevant for gay youth looking for some form of representation, escapism and self validation. 

I think it will continue for a couple of decades, as the representation still isn't totally there, but if more popular artists like Lil Nas X emerge and representation continues to grow do you believe there will be a need for Diva worship? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Living

Nope.

‘There is an increasing amount of openly gay artists’

mercury freddie GIF
Concert Gig GIF by Elton John

Incredulous David Bowie GIF

These boys ruled the world, and still gay men flocked to their gals.

like a virgin madonna GIF
madonna GIF

grace jones GIF

Regardless of same sex, gay representation gay men are attracting to strong, unapologetic women. 

Contrapoints

Nah, I mean its great that there are more gay artists, but from a purely musical/sonic point of view, there's always been something that just draws me more towards female voices over male voices. 

So I'll always prefer female artists over male artists. But thats just me. 

President Biden

there's always been something that just draws me more towards female voices over male voices. 

thus.

I can’t explain why, but I just fundamentally view singing as something a woman does.

I got drunk

littlepotter

You made many points but I don't feel like this would lead to the end of diva worship

chaeri pls

FFXIV WhiteMage

I don't think so. It is just that internet is introducing so many stuffs for people to get crazy for. The standom is and still evidently there, jus got diluted by the many things you can do on the internet . :huntyga:

elijahfan

Why one type of « worship » should necessarily replace another? I sure hope strong female figures will always be in fashion and celebrated. When it comes to being shamelessly yourself, there’s room for everyone.

edengowon

yes. billie, ariana, taylor etc. all have huge fanbases but not in the same larger-than-life sense as beyonce, gaga or madonna. female popstars are relatable and down to earth now, and no longer these huge divine goddesses.

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Bebe
20 minutes ago, Living said:

Nope.

‘There is an increasing amount of openly gay artists’

mercury freddie GIF
Concert Gig GIF by Elton John

Incredulous David Bowie GIF

These boys ruled the world, and still gay men flocked to their gals.

like a virgin madonna GIF
madonna GIF

grace jones GIF

Regardless of same sex, gay representation gay men are attracting to strong, unapologetic women. 

Absolutely, but show me a song from any of the above male artists that explored gay relationships and/or gay sex?  They where either gay or presented in a strongly queer way but it's hard to have the same level of escapism when the gay or queer male artists are either in the closet or are unable to express their sexuality explicitly in their work.

S0436

It’s not a good time with this pandemic and lack of concerts and performance opportunities.  Wait until the restrictions are fully lifted :ohwell:

Bebe
9 minutes ago, Trixie Mattel said:

Nah, I mean its great that there are more gay artists, but from a purely musical/sonic point of view, there's always been something that just draws me more towards female voices over male voices. 

So I'll always prefer female artists over male artists. But thats just me. 

I agree, I prefer female voices too - but do you think it is possible that we are are more likely to appreciate female voices because we are more likely to listen to female artists for all the above reasons?

Many black youth would tell you there is something they "just prefer" about the sound of rap & rnb. Is it maybe related to the fact that they are more likely to relate to the largely black artists, their subject matter, what they look like and the fact that that's what many of these kids would expose themselves to listening to?

While you may feel naturally drawn towards female voices, how much of that is exposure? 

HuffsAhoy

You make some great points! I think it's fantastic that we have a growing trend of gay male artists and I'm sure there will be some small shift toward them. But I think when we look at the overall picture, many gay men still gravitate toward the women. I certainly still do & will. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Italian

You raise some good points but I don't get why more gay representation in gay male singers' repertoire would necessarily lead to gay men liking female artists less?

Archived