question

Why The Cure doesn't feel like a Gaga song

NichuuB

Featured Posts

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cherries

Made to sound a bit more generic then most of her songs, just a little tribute to her monsters. Great song though

I've learned love is like a brick. You can build a house or sink a dead body

Juniper
3 hours ago, boyerased said:

Didn’t someone deny it being an ASIB outtake?

Yeah, DJWS. But it was from the ASIB sessions but early on. I’m guessing when they were trying to find a sound for Ally (— me speculating). 

RepentingSinner
8 hours ago, Kadikaado said:

but the arrengement is pure Tropical House

but... its not... Nothing tropical about it.

Admin
2 minutes ago, RepentingSinner said:

but... its not... Nothing tropical about it.

It is very Tropical House

MANiCURE 6
10 hours ago, Delulu Rogers said:

Why would they need to test her streaming power though?

They were testing zero promotion strategy in order to plan Chromatica zero promotion strategy to see if this could work :ladyhaha: And it did.

HuffsAhoy

My opinion is The Cure is one of her best songs and deserved more love :fatcat:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

weed

I feel like it would be huge on TikTok, we need someone to start a dance or trend 

Dr Fudge

It was released at the time when The Chainsmokers and their minimalistic EDM-driven tropical sound was big and I immediately thought it sounded like that upon first listen. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

RadioIsOurs

It kinda reminds me of Second Time Around...like something she would maybe write for another artist back in the day.

elijahfan

Like others pointed out, the song was pretty much an experiment to test her streaming power, it's been confirmed through her leaked legal documents. I also strongly believe, given the sound and the timing, that this was made in the same sessions as the ASIB pop songs. It's cute, but definitely not a career highlight imo - I remember instantly thinking that anyone could have sang that song.

elijahfan
11 hours ago, Delulu Rogers said:

Why would they need to test her streaming power though?

Because she wasn't necessarily a streaming force back in 2016.

Delulu Rogers
1 hour ago, MANiCURE 6 said:

They were testing zero promotion strategy in order to plan Chromatica zero promotion strategy to see if this could work :ladyhaha: And it did.

This literally makes the most sense. 

JazzGa

It's missing all the hallmarks of a Gaga song, traded for breezy 2015-wave "trop pop" tropes. 

Gaga songs are known for:

1) A four-on-the-floor Eurodance beat (TC has a light snap beat)

2) An epic, lyrical, building bridge that explodes into an orgasmic last chorus (TC has a weak bridge that just has some Oooh ooohs vocal vamping and adlibs in it)

3) Chanted "robotGa" heavily processed vocals, the verses might be spoken (TC is all melodic, not super easy to sing)

4) Sung in an alto register (BR, Pokerface), or with enough vocal layers to cover all ranges (Paparazzi) (TC is sung in a head voice in a more typical young soubrette's range/vocal style)

The Cure breaks from all of these signature Gaga elements and trades them in for more typical pop tropes. I love how Gaga returned to all four of those things heavily on Chromatica! And I love how DJWS and Gaga were able to recognize and shed some of those things to make songs conceptualized for a "different" pop artist, Ally. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Archived