celeb

Chris Hemsworth says his body is why he's not seen as a 'serious actor'

Bambino

Featured Posts

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
weed

It's true, gross y'all are just clowning on him. I hate being the "what about" bich but like.. it happens to women and that's common knowledge, why is it hard to believe it happens to men

ok and just to add, I don't think he's the male Meryl Streep lmao but the point stands

RichAssPiss

Then take a pay cut and make a smaller indie drama that isn't an international franchise. No doubt there are lots of films that would gladly cast him to get funding or expand their budget. Most "serious actors" are taken seriously because they make choices driven by their artistic integrity. Someone like Andrew Garfield isn't more respected because he's thinner. It's because he put a year of work on hold to do Angels in America and a won a Tony. Or because he has eclectic film work on top of Spider-Man movies. 

ladygagafan1234

Is his point that, bodybuilders aren't seen as serious actors? because I can understand that. The Rock is in a lot of things but I view him as more a novelty actor. There's just something unoriginal (?) about a ripped physique. I don't know the right word.

HEARTSTOP

It's also the reason he has a job at all so he shouldn't be complaining.

He's kinda funny and charming but I don't think he's a great actor. However, serious =/= good, and he seems dedicated to the craft so he is a serious actor, even if not "good" at acting.

IDGAF

There also plenty of men who can't get roles/jobs because they are not tall and hunky like him

JusKeepBreathin

Brad-Pitts-%E2%80%98Fight-Club-Diet-Work

Sorry but Brad Pitt was twice as beautiful when he was Chris's age. 

He acted circles around Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire.  Poor Tom is a great actor and could not keep up. 

Chris is just not a good actor. 

Tom Hardy has an amazing body and has given amazing acting roles on top of comic book movie roles. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

imnotyourbabe10

Yeah, it's not that, sir.  It's like he's trying to equate the double-bind that many women face, which is not a fair comparison since he has privilege. 

What I mean by this is (from my knowledge) back in the 2nd wave of feminism, women like Gloria Steinem were caught in a bind of "Oh, she's too pretty to be taken seriously."  Or Andrea Dworkin was called ugly and too shrill to discredit her.  So, you can't be attractive with intellect nor can your intellect be taken seriously if you're not "conventionally" attractive.

Hope the makes some sense -- it's whaat his argument is reminding me of.  But I don't agree with him.

djBuffoon
14 hours ago, HEARTSTOP said:

He's kinda funny and charming but I don't think he's a great actor. However, serious =/= good, and he seems dedicated to the craft so he is a serious actor, even if not "good" at acting.

I mean, he's executed the roles that he's been cast in just fine. What he's saying is that you can't really grow unless you do more challenging projects, which he's not been able to do yet, and that's a fair statement to make.

Look at how Gaga improved from Machete to AHS to A Star is Born. For actors, each new role is informed by the ones you've done before it.

JusKeepBreathin
15 hours ago, RichAssPiss said:

Then take a pay cut and make a smaller indie drama that isn't an international franchise. No doubt there are lots of films that would gladly cast him to get funding or expand their budget. Most "serious actors" are taken seriously because they make choices driven by their artistic integrity. Someone like Andrew Garfield isn't more respected because he's thinner. It's because he put a year of work on hold to do Angels in America and a won a Tony. Or because he has eclectic film work on top of Spider-Man movies. 

He could also just produce his own serious movies. I am pretty sure whenever Tom Cruise wants a certain role he just pitches it to a studio and produces it himself. 

Hello you're a rich straight white male successful actor. Stop playing the victim.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

FFXIV WhiteMage

A great actor is a great actor; whatever your physique is. 

And it's not necessarily his body but more on about his movie roles that is limiting him as an actor. 

Most of his popular/smash hit movies involve about him being a muscular drop dead gorgeous superhero. 

With his popularity he can easily get into a promising movie with great and challenging roles that will highlight his acting skill. 

Galvon

It's true what he says. For example, for Heart of the Sea he had to lose a lot of weight, and right after he had to bulk up to be Thor again. Body building requires a lot of dicipline, you have to take it seriously or it won't work.

But I do think he should not stay too long in the MCU anymore. Thor: Love and Thunder is in production at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the next GOTG movie as well. They should writen a nice ending for him so he can leave. I would love to see him in more ''serious'' movies.

Archived