Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The Contradiction of 'Music Not the Bling'

Jill

Featured Posts

Jill

In 2013, Gaga released 'ARTPOP', and along with it, the 'Lady Gaga Is Over' film, and with the lyrics of the title song, and the statement shown at the end of the film, she unknowingly sealed her fate on the minds of Little Managers. Since then, the 'music not the bling' line has been cited over and over again by fans from all over the world as a justification for Gaga being hypocritical (or something) by venturing into other areas that are separate from music, claiming these ventures are part of the 'bling' and that, thus, Gaga is contradicting herself by persuing them. This is stupid nonsense of course, but the reasons why it is a stupid nonsense isn't only because it is, in fact, nonsense, and that it requires Gaga to dedicate her entire life to a single line she wrote in her 20s, but also because it is a contradiction by itself. Not the lyric, but the philosophy that Little Managers created around it.

This philosophy states that, by doing things that are not music, Gaga is entertaining the 'bling' and not the 'music', thus Gaga = hypocritical. But these fans never complain about tours and music videos, which are arguably a part of the 'bling', since they're not music and are usually released after the music itself. They're ventures that are built upon music but that have the general purpose of contributing to the success of the music. They are not new music, nor they can be called music. And, as contributors to the success and promotion of the music, they share the same space as those things which are separate from it, like films, and promotional campaigns with Lamborghini and Dom Perignon, which are made to promote the music (in case of the campaings), but that aren't music themselves. Despite this, for some reason, Little Managers don't seem to realize caring about chart positions, music videos, and tours or performances while also criticizing promotional campaings such as the ones mentioned is deeply contradictory. And not only this, but also that caring about chart positions, music videos, and tours or performances is an objective part of the 'bling' and not the 'music'. Gaga's duty toward this lyric she wrote when she was much younger ends when she finishes the recording of a song, or an album, or sits down to write a new song. That's music without the bling, and that's the real significance of the lyric.

Little Managers complain, holding Gaga accountable by citing a lyric she wrote in her 20s, but don't realize the 'music' part of it was accomplished with the album release, and that all other promotional ventures are part of the 'bling'. There's nothing bad with entertaining the 'bling', but there's many things wrong with not letting an artist do whatever they want because you have a personal philosophy that is not only contradictory, but also deeply flawed. So, TL;DR - leave Gaga alone.

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shealreadydone

You can keep your "stupid nonsense" and other adjectives to refer to any opinion that doesn't align with yours as you dare to make whole statements while ironically calling anybody not agreeing with you "little manager", people take that phrase literally because she's referred to it at its literal sense, exactly as when she said she hated selling perfumes, released not one but two, then started collaborating with oreo and luxury brand such as tudor and don perignon. 

we love her and that's why we are in a LADY GAGA FORUM, but you don't need to eat everything she sh*ts off up, there's a difference between admiration and being a cult fanatic, guess you know which one you're closer to at this moment, but hey, you do you! just be respectful with anybody with a minimum of critical sense, you can have it and still support gaga regarding her music and acting career without buying 130€ sweaters, 0,20 cent soaps sold for 10-20€, jockstraps, and anything else her team puts out to bleed her own fans out.

edit: and honestly i'd close this thread because it's going nowhere, there will be fights and insults and we can already tell that the synthesis is that: people will buy whatever they want, of course, and there are grades of fanatism/admiration, some will buy it all up because they're blind or they just choose to, some are just collectors, and some of us are just disappointed because we see the incongruence at what she's been standing up for in the past and what she's become nowadays, sadly.

It's so annoying how some fans constantly bash Gaga for doing brand partnerships, they all act as if it's something new that she's doing when she's being doing them for years. She has partnered with M.A.C, Shiseido, Tom Ford, Coty for FAME and Eau De Gaga and many more. 

At least when she does sponsorships they also contribute to the BTWF and help a good cause.

Lucas

There was a thread similar to this a few months ago, and everybody there said that Gaga wasn't serious when she sang that... yet when ARTPOP was released everybody swallowed this lyric like it was part of the bible :sweat:

shealreadydone
6 minutes ago, Sine From Above said:

It's so annoying how some fans constantly bash Gaga for doing brand partnerships, they all act as if it's something new that she's doing when she's being doing them for years. She has partnered with M.A.C, Shiseido, Tom Ford, Coty for FAME and Eau De Gaga and many more. 

At least when she does sponsorships they also contribute to the BTWF and help a good cause.

please, let's not act as if the foundation wasnt in the first place a help to her own taxes and future plans regarding money, which is completely logic and justified, but she's not st. teresa

what people are annoyed for is because of her hypocrisy and inconsistent message of "omg i'm so sick of the industry, i don't want to be a product, i'm not that, i'm more than a perfume, my fans expect too much", then she jumps to luxury products and a worldwide oreo year sponsorship and just refers to us to buy all the crap she's throwing down. ummm no thanks, you've exactly become a product and you're the only one to be blamed for it, at least embrace it and we'll just move on, but stop playing the martyr girl, which is exactly what the netflix documentary is about too, don't you realise? she has the opportunity of making a whole *ss movie about herself and how amazing SHE IS and it's a pity party! pain and victim mentality, honestly i've loved this woman for more than a decade but she's reaching a very weird point, don't you see that we don't do it to judge or put her down? its the reality, what do you get from gaga the last years? anyway i stand by what i say, we should close this thread, its gonna go nowhere

FFXIV WhiteMage
2 minutes ago, shealreadydone said:

You can keep your "stupid nonsense" and other adjectives to refer to any opinion that doesn't align with yours as you dare to make whole statements while ironically calling anybody not agreeing with you "little manager", people take that phrase literally because she's referred to it at its literal sense, exactly as when she said she hated selling perfumes, released not one but two, then started collaborating with oreo and luxury brand such as tudor and don perignon. 

we love her and that's why we are in a LADY GAGA FORUM, but you don't need to eat everything she sh*ts off up, there's a difference between admiration and being a cult fanatic, guess you know which one you're closer to at this moment, but hey, you do you! just be respectful with anybody with a minimum of critical sense, you can have it and still support gaga regarding her music and acting career without buying 130€ sweaters, 0,20 cent soaps sold for 10-20€, jockstraps, and anything else her team puts out to bleed her own fans out.

Then maybe try to educate the Little Managers to be more respectful in their tone and way of speaking as well? You know. WALK THE TALK. 

And please, isn't Little Managers popped up when people started calling her names? 

Lastly, the statement was aimed to those people that is taking jab against Gaga just for the sake of doing it. As if selling products is the only thing she did EVER. 

Jill

Don't pay attention to that overly passionate troll

flyaway

Well, I get your point and it can be hard to actually devote your life exclusively to music. We live in a world that revolves around money, we need it to survive. 

But in defense of the fans, the lady herself has been doing many commercial rooted projects lately. Not that it's a bad thing, as she has done it before. But music is being neglected as the art from a musician herself at this very moment. Many of us started to follow her because of that, for the craft itself. But now I have to admit that I find it somehow ironic that she's promoting watches, makeup and oreo cookies and champagne instead of her main craft. 

Anyway, we all  know Gaga's had a rough time lately because of her meteoric rise to fame. She even got tired of music for a while, which is understandable. So in that sense, I agree with you in letting her alone.

She definitely deserves some time to heal and live her life as well. She's a human being. 

ThisGuyTony

I know I’ve complained about her deals before, but more in a joking manner than seriously holding her to the “music, not the bling” lyric. :vegas: 

But we do have to acknowledge she’s done brand deals since the beginning of her career - Polaroid, singing toothbrushes, etc. 

I think it all comes down to the fact she’s not balancing the deals with her music. She has time to film promos and photos for all these deals but not for music videos or performances? :shrug: 

shealreadydone
3 minutes ago, GaGamer said:

Then maybe try to educate the Little Managers to be more respectful in their tone and way of speaking as well? You know. WALK THE TALK. 

And please, isn't Little Managers popped up when people started calling her names? 

Lastly, the statement was aimed to those people that is taking jab against Gaga just for the sake of doing it. As if selling products is the only thing she did EVER. 

and why would I educate ANYBODY? see? this is your problem guys, you have internet access and suddenly you think you have something as an absolute truth, or a degree on any sort of education, its like an influencer syndrome, let people talk HOWEVER they want about their own opinions, there are mods, if they dont moderate those comments, who do you think you are to do so? you sound exactly as one of those "little managers" you talk about.

FFXIV WhiteMage
Just now, shealreadydone said:

please, let's not act as if the foundation was in the first place a help to her own taxes and future plans regarding money, which is completely logic and justified, but she's not st. teresa

what people are annoyed for is because of her hypocrisy and inconsistent message of "omg i'm so sick of the industry, i don't want to be a product, i'm not that, i'm more than a perfume, my fans expect too much", then she jumps to luxury products and a worldwide oreo year sponsorship and just refers to us to buy all the crap she's throwing down. ummm no thanks

The audacity LMAO . You are basically claiming that she's scamming people using BTW foundation? :smh:

The very same foundation that helped so many people to overcome abuse and discrimination? 

JaysAMess

Or how about we just allow all opinions - whether positive or negative, just as long as they're respectful.

killing eve eating GIF by BBC America

Jill
1 minute ago, ThisGuyTony said:

I think it all comes down to the fact she’s not balancing the deals with her music. She has time to film promos and photos for all these deals but not for music videos or performances? :shrug:

We knew about the Nick Knight project since last year, so it was created before the pandemic. Same for SL and ROM. 911 was just a gift to fans, and by this point I'm sure Gaga wants to move on, and there's nothing wrong with that. But fans holding onto it for dear life just goes to show how little respect they have for Gaga and the things she truly wants to do.

FFXIV WhiteMage
Just now, shealreadydone said:

and why would I educate ANYBODY? see? this is your problem guys, you have internet access and suddenly you think you have something as an absolute truth, or a degree on any sort of education, its like an influencer syndrome, let people talk HOWEVER they want about their own opinions, there are mods, if they dont moderate those comments, who do you think you are to do so? you sound exactly as one of those "little managers" you talk about.

Now THIS IS HYPOCRISY. You are talking about freedom of speech and yet when other people react to your "different" opinion then suddenly you play the VICTIM? 

Jill
1 minute ago, JaysAMess said:

Or how about we just allow all opinions - whether positive or negative, just as long as they're respectful.

killing eve eating GIF by BBC America

Sis, just in this thread there's a little manager insulting us :smh:

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived