đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Industry plants?

bionic

Is being an industry plant a bad thing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Is being an industry plant a bad thing?

• Yes, its disingenuous
    • No, who cares

Featured Posts

xoxo Craig

Kesha was an industry plant. There was a rush to find the next 'Gaga' and her label picked her up and tried to turn her into the next "Gaga". But after a few years, she faded away.

Taylor Swift. She was signed to a label at just 15, and apparently her dad bought a whole warehouse full of copies just so that she would sell well.

Rihanna. She too was signed young, and her rise didn't seem organic. The fact she barely cares about music is proof that she never truly felt passionate about music. 

Selena Gomez. I mean, yeah she came from a disney background... but she doesn't have much talent, she doesn’t sing, she doesn’t write her own songs. People and other artists write her songs for Selena, even do demos for her. And yet, her albums always do well in terms of sales. 

End Racism Now

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xoxo Craig
Just now, xoxo Craig said:

Kesha was an industry plant. There was a rush to find the next 'Gaga' and her label picked her up and tried to turn her into the next "Gaga". But after a few years, she faded away.

Taylor Swift. She was signed to a label at just 15, and apparently her dad bought a whole warehouse full of copies just so that she would sell well.

Rihanna. She too was signed young, and her rise didn't seem organic. The fact she barely cares about music is proof that she never truly felt passionate about music. 

Selena Gomez. I mean, yeah she came from a disney background... but she doesn't have much talent, she doesn’t sing, she doesn’t write her own songs. People and other artists write her songs for Selena, even do demos for her. And yet, her albums always do well in terms of sales. 

I do think industry plants are a bad thing. I'd rather support someone who deserves it, and I'd rather see them do well over someone who is just there because of their looks

End Racism Now

FfFfFfFF

Most recently I find this term is equivalent to Billie Eilish. Started out in a rich family with connections (and a brother that is a music producer). She was pushed by her label for the 'not like other girls' types from the start.

Andreu
21 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

Rosalia and Tori Kelly were planted, but never grew.

How is Rosalia an industry plant :rip: Her label trying to make her known internationally doesn't make her one

js4754394o9823
44 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Oh girl, don't even try :huntyga:

Kesha was writing songs for other people for years

She was parting and stalking celebs, met some producers, did a feat for free with Luke that was a hit

Wrote more songs with him, released TikTok and became big because it's a timeless bop

She didn't change at all and nothing about her 2010 look is Gaga like

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

mr.peter

Wouldn't every artist signed to a major fall under this "Industry plant" idea

Isn't that their job to sell and market their artist to the masses or a specific demographic  for profit?

bionic
7 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Most recently I find this term is equivalent to Billie Eilish. Started out in a rich family with connections (and a brother that is a music producer). She was pushed by her label for the 'not like other girls' types from the start.

When I Google "industry plant" Billie is one of the first results (alongside Gaga, Lizzo, Post Malone, and Poppy).

Her "making songs in bedroom and somehow they blew up" story lost its authenticity to me when I learned that her mom is an award winning actress/singer/writer and her dad is also an actor, her brother was well on the public radar at the time etc

Doesn't diminish her success but definitely loses its organic appeal

buy bionic

js4754394o9823
9 minutes ago, bionic said:

When I Google "industry plant" Billie is one of the first results (alongside Gaga, Lizzo, Post Malone, and Poppy).

Her "making songs in bedroom and somehow they blew up" story lost its authenticity to me when I learned that her mom is an award winning actress/singer/writer and her dad is also an actor, her brother was well on the public radar at the time etc

Poppy is the opposite of industry plant

Her first label didn't like her videos so she left them

Second label didn't promote her stuff at all, so she left them

And after 3 projects she finally found a good one that is doing something

bionic
Just now, kukuryku666 said:

Poppy is the opposite of industry plant, lol

Her first label didn't like her videos so she left them

Second label didn't promote her stuff at all

And after 3 projects she finally found a good one that is doing something

I didn't say this I love Poppy! This is what people have googled

buy bionic

js4754394o9823
Just now, bionic said:

I didn't say this I love Poppy! This is what people have googled

Yeah, yeah I know

Just a comment on people thinking that in general

PropaGaga
43 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Kesha was not the result of labels trying to find the next Gaga. She had been in development as an artist years before Gaga was even "Gaga". She was coming up around the same time as her and Katy.

The reality is that everyone is an "industry plant" – artists rarely make it in this industry unless they already have connections somewhere. The term is really just another way for people to push back against the pop machine and has no real meaning.

bionic
2 minutes ago, PropaGaga said:

The reality is that everyone is an "industry plant" – artists rarely make it in this industry unless they already have connections somewhere. The term is really just another way for people to push back against the pop machine and has no real meaning.

Wouldn't that mean that everyone is an industry plant except that rare artist who makes it without a connection

buy bionic

FfFfFfFF
29 minutes ago, bionic said:

I don't see any of these as industry plants. Gaga wrote songs for other popstars, had various unreleased songs before The Fame, took time to craft her songs from scratch and come up with a concept album, used to perform in front of small audiences. An industry plant comes out of nowhere, with little to no contet and typically doesn't co-write songs. Lizzo also took a while to become famous and it happened out of nowhere but thanks to Netflix and Tik Tok. They didn't just appear and bang, they were famous. 

PropaGaga
16 minutes ago, bionic said:

Wouldn't that mean that everyone is an industry plant except that rare artist who makes it without a connection

Yes, that's what I said. A record label's job is to pull these people from obscurity, then create a narrative and push an artist for exposure and profit. That is the entire recording and publicly industry in a nutshell.

If we were to use the term correctly, based on its definition, then none of the artists mentioned in this thread would fall under it. Someone like Bazzi is what I would consider a real example of an industry plant, since his record label went out of their way to cover up the fact he was signed to them and suddenly he was everywhere. He wasn't even on their roster. A lot of the artists I'm seeing in here can have their origins and rise traced – none of it is a secret. There's documentation everywhere. Billie having relatively famous parents doesn't mean she's an industry plant. She was just lucky and had connections like most everyone in this business.

Archived