đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

I Really Don't Get the Madonna Comparisons

RRR

Featured Posts

Joshie S
51 minutes ago, Peter Parker said:

All things aside, I still don’t know why they haven’t done a performance together, is it that hard? :deadbanana: I think they were gonna perform together but Gaga was on tour or something.

I think it is, that hard.

Gaga & Beyonce have an actual commercial record out there but not 1 god damn live performance in 10 years:ohwell:

The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nathaniel Arven

i think that people needed to put her in a box since she was hmmmm out of the box. 

TSUNAMI
4 hours ago, androiduser said:

1) Madonna set the standard for the female pop star, she is the blueprint

Marilyn Monroe. 

numb the flame
2 hours ago, Peter Parker said:

All things aside, I still don’t know why they haven’t done a performance together, is it that hard? :deadbanana: I think they were gonna perform together but Gaga was on tour or something.

they kind of have performed together on SNL in 2009

androiduser
4 hours ago, TSUNAMI said:

Marilyn Monroe. 

Marilyn Monroe was not a pop star with music videos, ground breaking concerts and pop music.

Marilyn set the standard for a blond bombshell, although Mae West was probably the original blond babe.

Lucas

They're both strong successful fearless women that both aimed to push boundaries and change the world. They're both controversial and have a strong artistic vision... So tbh I totally understand why people compared them

Naak Le Vaar

There's some surface level similarities but I think it's the media and Madonna fans that insist Gaga is redoing Madonna's old material. I'd say Gaga is closer artistically to MJ or Bowie than Madonna. 

Lmao they blocked my signature

LilyLark
10 hours ago, Staryu17 said:

I mean, Gaga was/is inspired by Madonna during TFM days, however I feel as the years went on she grew into her own and added that "GAGA" flair. 

Honestly people are very selective these days, because you could do this with so many acts - 

MJ - Bruno - Abel 

Lil Kim - Nicki - Doja 

Mariah - Ariana 

Janet Jackson - Britney etc etc 

This. There are defn. similarities between some sounds/looks BUT it's hardly a unique situation. I mean, Norman F*cking Rockwell and Diamonds and Rust are very similar lyrically....I think part of it, too, is that both are Italian, support LGBTQ, are seen as "controversial," etc.

But as you said—TFM was where Gaga was the most "similar" to Madonna. Outside of BTW and Babylon, there's really not as much of a Madonna influence anymore in her work/look/etc....so it's strange they still get compared so much. IMO part of it was during the BTW/ARTPOP era the entertainment media (mostly) liked to drag Gaga, so constantly pitting her against other artists or calling her a rip off was an easy path for them to take.

Bebe

I get it and I don't. I think Gaga and Madonna have been different in a lot of ways since the start, but Gaga was clearly a descendant of that kind of pop.

While her contemporary female artists were on their pop/punk or rnb vibes looking like the girl next door, Gaga came in with choreography, visual music videos, high production performances and she wasn't afraid to be political, use religious imagery and be strong with her sexuality. She was nothing like her contemporaries, she harked back to the 70's with her Ziggy Stardust references but also the 80's with her choreography and music videos.  The only female artist of that generation who was a superstar in that way was Madonna. Madonna transformed every era, Gaga transformed every second.

With that said: The Fame era Gaga was very artsy, theatrical club kid in a way I don't see Madonna being. TFM/BTW Gaga had piano performances that would blow you away and songwriting that was very stadium rock. ARTPOP Gaga was just full on Gaga, C2C/Joanne/ASIB soundtrack is not something Madonna could pull off at all and Chromatica has these dystopian, mad max, wasteland visuals that I don't see Madonna wanting to touch. Gaga's a bit theatre and rock and roll, a bit grittier and a bit more focused on musicianship. Madonna is far more polished, she is a professional dancer, a perfectionist and focused on breaking taboos. 

They both have different perspectives and are different performers and artists with different skill sets. I see how Gaga was influenced by Madonna and the stars of her generation (and before) however it's just one of the only comparisons that could be made.

TLDR;

I agree that they are different artists - but was Gaga more similar as an artist to this?

Or this?

ThisGuyTony

I see the influence but I don’t see “copy and paste” similarities as a lot of OGH claim.

Plus don’t get me started on the “Gaga copied Madonna because she wore the same purple outfit!” nonsense. :rip: 

Nathaniel Arven
1 minute ago, Bebe said:

Madonna could pull off

I'm breathless is kinda jazzy though... 

Bebe
2 minutes ago, Nathaniel Arven said:

I'm breathless is kinda jazzy though... 

Unsure if being serious or sarcastic but Madonna could not pull standards in the same stylings and vocal prowess as Gaga. Don't want this to come across as Madonna hate either, it's just not the skill set she has.

Madonna's La Vie En Rose is a cool interpretation and some may prefer it:

It's obviously different to Gaga's though:

Ziggy

I mean, Gaga did crib a lot from Madonna in the early days. That’s undeniable. TF and TFM eras have a lot of a Madonna “I don’t give two f***s” attitude and demeanor, and they are consequently Gaga’s most commercially successful and thus most identifiable eras. Plus, BTW *is* reminiscent of EY. Not a copy, but they really do kind of have a similar energy about them and are both classic disco-pop sounds.

That both are referential artists and tough are also a big part of the comparisons. A lot of pop stars tend to be a bit more demure. Gaga and Madonna are blonde sex symbols out here ready to serve you beat down (or at least give that impression). As time has gone on, I think Gaga has gotten softer and more touchy feely and Madonna has stayed much the same-Midwestern pragmatic hardened with a NY edge.

I don’t think they’re incredibly similar but components of the Gaga character were born from the pop music world that Madonna ushered in. It’s only natural that someone who is referential to the wider culture is going to start referencing her.

gypsy101
10 hours ago, Jose P said:

It really isn’t about the sound or even the literal image or visuals

that telephone hair seemed pretty close to a madonna reference though 

Archived