Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you speak a Germanic Language (besides English)?

FfFfFfFF

Do you speak a Germanic Language?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you speak a Germanic Language?

• I only speak English
    • German
    • Low German
    • Scots
    • Frisian
    • Dutch
    • Danish
    • Icelandic
    • Faroese
    • Norwegian, Swedish

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Following the previous threads about Latin and Slavic languages. The Germanic Languages are unique and extremely widespread so I think this is an interesting question to ask. :vegas:

Europe_germanic-languages_2.PNG

Do you speak a Germanic Language (besides English)? If so, what is your dialect and/ or what other Germanic Languages are inteligible to you?

Oriane

German, not fluently but I learnt it for nine years, have been in Germany for one year and a half, and my German is still completely shitty :vegas:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

FfFfFfFF

Fun fact: Genetically English is a Germanic Language but the majority of the words come from Latin and Latin-based Languages. So basically is a Latin Language in disguise. :ph34r:

VenusUrania
10 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Fun fact: Genetically English is a Germanic Language but the majority of the words come from Latin and Latin-based Languages. So basically is a Latin Language in disguise. :ph34r:

One fun fact: English is the most "romanized" language from the Germanic language group, whereas French is the most "germanized" from the Romance languages group!

I was fortunate enough to grow up with German satellite television in Croatia so I picked up the language early on and very fast. At some point as a child I could speak and understand German better than Croatian as my mother tongue :ladyhaha:

Now I study it at university and work for a company where I have to use German throughout the whole day!

Oriane
20 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I think there have been a lot of influences from the French language.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Mother of Puppies

Well... I am German so yeah I speak it.... but I've been living in Spain for about 7 years when I was a teenager up until my early 20s!

When I came back to Germany and applied for University they wanted me to take a German test and get a certificate... and when I was talkin' to the lady on the phone (obviously with my perfect German) I was like: "Dear Lady, I was born in Germany, I am German, I have lived in Germany til I was 15 years old. I have a German ID and passport...  I have just lived abroad for a few years and I haven't unlearnt anything... Why the heck do I need to take a ****ing "german language test!?" :interestinga: This sums up German bureaucracy by the way.

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

FfFfFfFF
Just now, Oriane said:

Exactly! Almost 30% of English vocabulary come from Latin and other 30% from French.

Queen Bitch

I speak Danish. I also speak some German, Norwegian and Swedish.  And I can read some Dutch :vegas:

SwissMonster

Where is swissgerman :grr:

SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999

Killa
1 hour ago, Oriane said:

It was the official court language for a good while. Its expected

NewUsername

Dutch :party: Flemish dialect.

I know some German + a lot of German is easy to understand anyway if you speak Dutch.

Schwerk

Being from the Netherlands, Dutch is my first language but growing up near the German border I can understand and read German quite well. I'm not confident speaking it at all though. When I went to Copenhagen I was so surprised I could read quite a bit of Danish as long as I 'pretended' it was Dutch. Because the words may seem similar on paper, when pronounced by  Danish people I can't understand a word.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

TMM90
On 3/6/2021 at 9:49 PM, Marjol said:

Being from the Netherlands, Dutch is my first language but growing up near the German border I can understand and read German quite well. I'm not confident speaking it at all though. When I went to Copenhagen I was so surprised I could read quite a bit of Danish as long as I 'pretended' it was Dutch. Because the words may seem similar on paper, when pronounced by  Danish people I can't understand a word.

From Nijmegen?

Archived