Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Chromatica cover symbolism

LittleMonster20

Featured Posts

LittleMonster20

So Chromatica is not only my favorite album of all time but also my favorite album cover! It’s so beautiful and legendary. Not only is the Chromatica symbol being incorporated into the title just genius, but Gaga looks beautiful and I love the whole black and pink easthetic. It’s amazingly done! But after listening to the entire album repeatedly, taking in the lyrics and messages of the album and analyzing the era, there’s so much more to this album cover and I know it could all be a theory (I’m not high I swear lol) but bear with me!

Take a long look at it:

lady-gaga-chromatica.jpg

As Gaga described it, Chromatica is a place in her mind where she processes all her mental issues including the trauma she went through, battling psychotic thoughts and coping with her mind in the form of art. It’s a place in her brain, and so it is symbolized into the pink brain looking stuff on the album’s backside. Also on the cover, I think it’s clear she’s practically laying on top of Chromatica, or the ‘gate’ to it. Which brings me to theory: she’s laying on a fence clearly, but she’s still hanging on to Chromatica as she knows it herself, the symbol and the place in her mind. I think this is symbolism to being on the fence of going into a dissociative state. As you may know, Gaga had a psychotic break in 2017 and has since been on anti-psychotics since to prevent it from happening again, but in her interview she said she can’t control how her brain functioned, so any moment without the treatment she could have gone into the state. Her hanging on is her having faith in not only her treatment but in processing Chromatica as she knows it in art, while accepting the risk (radical acceptance).

Focus

Honestly the more I try to decipher it the more I'm convinced it's just intented to be a beauty shot with no background meaning. The closest believable theory was she's guarded by the portal to chromatica which explains the bullet holes behind her and on the sinewave, and next to her claws there's what looks like flying bullets although it could be straws of grass.

Mister G

The sine symbol flows through her mind, and this image to me seems to represent her in front of this portal into her mind that is Chromatica. Clinging onto the symbol is her glimmer of hope that she can do hard things and be healed in the process.

davidtaylor

I love this theory, my idea of the cover is that it's made to be very machine like to resemble her mind being the creative machine, with it almost looking like the sine wave moves like a record

so happy i could die

Trevstar4

I always interpreted the cover as Gaga gate keeping the entrance to Chromatica as a place in her mind, and the sine wave symbol on top of her passes over her mid section which I always thought meant she’s pregnant with music/LG6! Lol plus it kind of looks like a sperm at the top part hahaha. :ohwell:

Mother of Puppies

Chromatica is also my favorite album ever made and also the coolest cover ever! I wanna buy a tshirt with that on it! I love it... the colors, the industrial vibes, the pink, her outfit, the heels with knives... just everything. It's pure perfection.

I would interpret it the way that Chromatica and especially the sine saved her. The sine is wrapped around her waist and "holding" her which saved her from all the stuff around her. All that electric stuff/machines are the "bad and threatening things" in life and she is also wearing some of it (like the heels with knives or that thing around her arm) so a part of what is threatening to her is also herself. (my biggest enemy is me) but the sine from above (around her waist) is kind of what saved her.

@LittleMonster20 How do u know she had a psychotic break in 2017? I thought it was somewhen in 2018 or 2019 ?

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

LittleMonster20
8 minutes ago, MotherOfPuppies said:

Chromatica is also my favorite album ever made and also the coolest cover ever! I wanna buy a tshirt with that on it! I love it... the colors, the industrial vibes, the pink, her outfit, the heels with knives... just everything. It's pure perfection.

I would interpret it the way that Chromatica and especially the sine saved her. The sine is wrapped around her waist and "holding" her which saved her from all the stuff around her. All that electric stuff/machines are the "bad and threatening things" in life and she is also wearing some of it (like the heels with knives or that thing around her arm) so a part of what is threatening to her is also herself. (my biggest enemy is me) but the sine from above (around her waist) is kind of what saved her.

@LittleMonster20 How do u know she had a psychotic break in 2017? I thought it was somewhen in 2018 or 2019 ?

It was in September 2017 when she had to cancel the Rock In Rio concert and take a break from the Joanne World Tour. She was doing a court deposition and it triggered her PTSD so badly she ended up in the hospital with a psychotic break. She talks about it with Oprah in some interviews from last year. It was very heavy but very defining for her and I’m glad she’s doing better now!

Mother of Puppies
5 minutes ago, LittleMonster20 said:

It was in September 2017 when she had to cancel the Rock In Rio concert and take a break from the Joanne World Tour. She was doing a court deposition and it triggered her PTSD so badly she ended up in the hospital with a psychotic break. She talks about it with Oprah in some interviews from last year. It was very heavy but very defining for her and I’m glad she’s doing better now!

yeah I saw that whole interview.. she said she was triggered because of a court deposition (Kesha case) where she had to attend court... ( I read that transcript) but I would have to look up the date.

I think the cancelling of the show was because of her fibro?

edit: you're actually right. Just found this https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/lady-gaga-kesha-dr-luke

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

LittleMonster20
1 minute ago, MotherOfPuppies said:

yeah I saw that whole interview.. she said she was triggered because of a court deposition (Kesha case) where she had to attend court... ( I read that transcript) but I would have to look up the date.

I think the cancelling of the show was because of her fibro?

The Fibromyalgia and PTSD kind of go hand in hand. The Kesha deposition happened on September 13 2017 and Gaga canceled and was hospitalized on September 14 2017 and I remember her saying she was having the psychotic breakdown when entering the hospital already so I think she sadly had all of it at the same time. She did make a quick recovery though, a month later and she was performing in front of all the presidents (One America Appeal) and continuing the JWT.

Archived