💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you speak a neo-Latin Language?

FfFfFfFF

Do you speak a neo-Latin Language?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you speak a neo-Latin Language?

• Spanish, Portuguese, Galician, Asturleonese/Mirandese, Aragonese
    • Occitan, Gascon
    • Catalan
    • French, Franco-Provençal
    • Italian, Tuscan, Romanesco, Corsican, Sassarese, Sicilian, Neapolitan
    • Piedmontese, Ligurian, Lombard, Emilian-Romagnol
    • Romansh, Ladin, Friulian
    • Tuscan, Lati-Umbric
    • Sardinian
    • Romanian

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Question inspired by Gaga's new movie and her well-known Italian heritage :vegas:

The neo-Latin languages are the languages that evolved from Latin, part of the Indo-European Language family group together with Slavic, Germanic, Greek, Albanian Languages.

They are a very spread-out Language family, with almost a billion native speakers worldwide (in Europe and Latin America and parts of Africa).

Detailed_SVG_map_of_the_Romance-speaking_world.svg

Do you speak any of these Languages? Do you speak Spanish, French, Italian etc or perhaps one of the more endagered/ rare ones? Can you understand other Languages of the Family? or perhaps, do you speak one form of Latin itself. Discuess. :vegas:

1559664707312.png

Sneaky Oliver

Yep, the most beautiful one which’s Portuguese :flutter:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

artd0me

Spanish, but since I started learning danish, I have to concentrate a lot, I think my brain reached it’s limit for talking in different languages without thinking

Well, latin, I had it 6 years in school, and I think I still understand a lot when reading

Magui

I speak Portuguese. I do understand pretty much everything in spanish ( spanish series, and I have been in Spain so many times on vacation, it's next to Portugal lol). To this day I can read and understand everything in french ( 6 years of french in school, but speak the language and understand people talking on a normal conversation it's kind of hard, unless people speak very slowly). Italian, there was a time I could sing and understand every Laura Pausini and Eros Ramazzotti song 😀 (I can't communicate in italian, but I can understand some of stuff I read, catch the overall meaning of what's been said in a movie, but I miss a lot of details). Greek, unfortunately can't read it or understand it, however sometimes, surprisingly I catch word of two, cause we have a lot of words in portuguese that have greek origin, but that's it.

FfFfFfFF
2 hours ago, Magui said:

Greek, unfortunately can't read it or understand it, however sometimes, surprisingly I catch word of two, cause we have a lot of words in portuguese that have greek origin, but that's it.

Greek and Portuguese are both part of the Indo-European group (as in, Latin derives from a version of Indo-European and so does Greek) but they are not part of the same sub-family. There is the neo-Latin subgroup and the Greek subfamily (which doesn't include other Language but Greek). Genetically, neo-Latin Languages are more related to Irish and the other Celtic Languages because it's theoretized that Latin itself was somehow related to the Celtic Languages.

Greek itself has some influences from Latin though (same as Albanian). However, in Greece in some areas the Aromanian and Meglenoromanian dialects of the Romanian are spoken. Those itself are very interesting and there is a lot of speculation about their origin but I already talked too much. :poot: Basically we don't know if they're people from Romania proper that migrated there or ancestral population from the Roman times.

So, Greek and Portugese are not part of the same subfamily but the same Indo-European family, that also includes English, Russian, Hindu etc.

PopMusicForever
8 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

Greek and Portuguese are both part of the Indo-European group (as in, Latin derives from a version of Indo-European and so does Greek) but they are not part of the same sub-family. There is the neo-Latin subgroup and the Greek subfamily (which doesn't include other Language but Greek). Genetically, neo-Latin Languages are more related to Irish and the other Celtic Languages because it's theoretized that Latin itself was somehow related to the Celtic Languages.

Greek itself has some influences from Latin though (same as Albanian). However, in Greece in some areas the Aromanian and Meglenoromanian dialects of the Romanian are spoken. Those itself are very interesting and there is a lot of speculation about their origin but I already talked too much. :poot: Basically we don't know if they're people from Romania proper that migrated there or ancestral population from the Roman times.

So, Greek and Portugese are not part of the same subfamily but the same Indo-European family, that also includes English, Russian, Hindu etc.

Balkan languages are very interesting and mysterious, especially Albanian, Greek and Aromanian  

FfFfFfFF
1 minute ago, PopMusicForever said:

Balkan languages are very interesting and mysterious, especially Albanian, Greek and Aromanian  

I agree.

Balkans have a reputation of being a very messy place ethnically. So many ethnic groups living in a small place lead to many Languages as well. There is the South Slavic continuum from Slovene to Bulgarian, Albanian and Greek which are very unique, Aromanian, Meglenoromanian and  Istro-Romanian (which is being spoken by less than 1000 people) and also Romanian proper. Also dead Languages such as Dalmatian.

vyniildisk
4 hours ago, PartySick said:

Yep, the most beautiful one which's broken Spanglish :flutter:

Hola FiestaEnferma, como esta usted el dia de hoy? :sis:

I speak spanish, a little bit of broken english lol and i'm studying mandarin (if someone wants to practice dm me) 

Once i'm done w mandarin i will start french even tho i should focus in learning english properly lol 

FfFfFfFF
5 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

cries in monolingualism

You're forgiven for your lack of Language knowledge (this time)

YOU-CAN-SIT-WITH-US-MEAN-GIRLS.jpg

Archived