music news

Maroon 5 & Megan Thee Stallion "Beautiful Mistakes" out on March 3rd

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToxicHot

Doesn’t sound THAT bad..... lol, but I’m really just excited for Megan’s verse! :flutter:

dOnT sAd ReAcT mE 2 bE sHaDy i WiLL RePoRt U!!1!

StrawberryBlond

Yet another collab with an up-and-coming name that's just had massive success. It seems to be their staple now. At least the collab is already solidified in the original this time, instead of shoehorning in a feature in the hopes of getting a bland solo single to #1 like they did with Girls Like You. But I think their glory days are over. Memories did well considering it immediately followed their awful SB show but flukes like that can happen and the follow-up single went nowhere so I think this may stand a chance at top 10 purely because of the feature but will peter out after that. I'm just amazed Adam hasn't gone solo. Probably because for the most part, Maroon 5 seems solo.

3 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

Controversial opinion but I feel like Maroon 5 does these collabs because 1) They need some diversity... radio and the GP don't want to listen to a mainstream band filled with Straight white men 2) There music has gotten bland and they need other artists to help them.

Just an unpopular opinion I have... :wtf:

Hardly controversial, on GGD at least. You make a good point that they seem to team up with POC artists for more diversity. You saying this made me realise that majority of their collabs for the last few years have been with black artists. Rihanna, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar, Future, SZA, Cardi B and now Meghan. And that's just the singles. Then they teamed up with more black artists at the SB. I think they realise how associating themselves with black artists is lucrative in many ways. It's always big names, as you can see, they won't work with a struggling black artist but the ones they know have established fanbases, hits, critical acclaim, awards, are relevant and cool. That could give them all these things by association. Realising this now, I'm actually surprised they're not being called out for being culture vultures and reaping the benefits of black music without actually doing anything to help the black community.

gumzy3000
4 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yet another collab with an up-and-coming name that's just had massive success. It seems to be their staple now. At least the collab is already solidified in the original this time, instead of shoehorning in a feature in the hopes of getting a bland solo single to #1 like they did with Girls Like You. But I think their glory days are over. Memories did well considering it immediately followed their awful SB show but flukes like that can happen and the follow-up single went nowhere so I think this may stand a chance at top 10 purely because of the feature but will peter out after that. I'm just amazed Adam hasn't gone solo. Probably because for the most part, Maroon 5 seems solo.

Hardly controversial, on GGD at least. You make a good point that they seem to team up with POC artists for more diversity. You saying this made me realise that majority of their collabs for the last few years have been with black artists. Rihanna, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar, Future, SZA, Cardi B and now Meghan. And that's just the singles. Then they teamed up with more black artists at the SB. I think they realise how associating themselves with black artists is lucrative in many ways. It's always big names, as you can see, they won't work with a struggling black artist but the ones they know have established fanbases, hits, critical acclaim, awards, are relevant and cool. That could give them all these things by association. Realising this now, I'm actually surprised they're not being called out for being culture vultures and reaping the benefits of black music without actually doing anything to help the black community.

I haven't delved too deep into this but I too have noticed the pattern of them collabing with black artists and I feel like it is so forced. On one hand I am happy but I think it has a lot more to do with marketing and sales so for that reason, I am surprised as well they aren't called out about this. 

In the end though, it will also help these black artists gain exposure with new fans so I guess it is win-win situation. But a part of me can't help but feel these artists are being used as tokens. :koons:

trolly troll troll

SchwineLove

I feel genuinely bad for Maroon 5. They're just doing their job to keep making ends meet. Like, there's no passion anymore with their music. Dudes, just explore your Songs About Jane sound, maybe you can get your soul back again.

1 hour ago, ToxicHot said:

Doesn’t sound THAT bad..... lol, but I’m really just excited for Megan’s verse! :flutter:

Sounds like a havana knockoff. 

Sneaky Oliver

SZA, Cardi and now Meghan. I wonder why they skipped Doja. They always release a new single whenever a rap/RB new it girl appears  :teehee:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

TSUNAMI
13 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

Controversial opinion but I feel like Maroon 5 does these collabs because 1) They need some diversity... radio and the GP don't want to listen to a mainstream band filled with Straight white men 2) There music has gotten bland and they need other artists to help them.

Just an unpopular opinion I have... :wtf:

This is actually very popular opinion. 

Archived