💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
society

The family of a Texas boy who froze to death files $100M lawsuit

Texas power providers Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) and Entergy Corporation have been hit with a $100 million lawsuit accusing them of gross negligence in the death of a child whose family suspects he suffered hypothermia when they lost electricity and heat in their mobile home during a historic cold snap.

The mother of 11-year-old boy - Cristian Pineda filed the wrongful death lawsuit, alleging the utility giants "put profits over the welfare of people" by ignoring previous recommendations to winterize its power grid, which sustained an epic failure last week and left more than 4 million customers without heat and electricity as temperatures in some parts of the state plunged to single digits.
source

An 11-year-old boy is believed to have died in his sleep of hypothermia after his mobile home in Conroe (Texas), lost power due to a  snowstorm that tore through the state.
On Tuesday, Cristian was found unresponsive under a pile of blankets in a bed that he had been sharing with his 3-year-old stepbrother, according to his family.Cristian's stepbrother did not suffer injuries.

His mother, Maria, told  that she initially wasn't concerned when Cristian didn't get up in the morning since he was known for sleeping in.

However, when she went to check up on Cristian, she made a startling discovery.  "He was already dead," she said.

source

👻
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 2
  • Sad 26

SamanthaC

This is so incredibly sad. Unfortunately, the big electric company probably has access to great attorneys. I could see this being settled out of court for less. No amount of money could bring their child back. Just a horrible tragedy that could have been prevented. 

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

weed

That’s so scary and so horrible omg Rest In Peace to that innocent child. I hope this is a huge wake up call for so many things (better infrastructure, management, preparation)

littlepotter

Oh my god this is such a nightmare. Imagine waking up and finding your son dead. Idk how to feel about them trying to profit from this but i sure hope they win the case

can you hear me come undone?
  • Like 1

Dennnis

“Mobile home”

”100m lawsuit” 

Enough said. 
This is unfortunate but that lawsuit is a reach 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 3

Doily Skull
2 hours ago, Togekiss said:
3 hours ago, Dennnis said:

“Mobile home”

”100m lawsuit” 

Enough said. 

They usually high ball the amount so that they end up with something in the end. The goal, ultimately, isn’t to get the $100m.

EDIT: Let me also make it clear that I’m not saying that this family is “trying to get something” out of this death. They absolutely deserve an opportunity to rebuild their lives after this. They likely do not care about the money, as at the end of the day, money isn’t going to bring their son back. But as far as moving forward and giving them an opportunity to find a new home, move out of state, ensure their children can go to school, they absolutely deserve the money for that.

Edited by Doily Skull
  • Like 7

reelcool

no offense but how did one die and the other live if they shared the same bed

JusKeepBreathin

I don't know if any of you guys have children or nieces and nephews but there are many ways to keep children from freezing. Yes the power company should be sued for negligence over the entire broad situation but to basically have a wrongful death lawsuit is a bit of a reach. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 1

Shipper
17 minutes ago, reelcool said:

no offense but how did one die and the other live if they shared the same bed

If it was really due to the cold, humans have different thresholds to cold. It is known to shock the systems of  people with cardiovascular issues.  Perhaps the boy had an underlying condition and was frail to begin with compared to the brother. 

Kids 0-3 also have higher body temperatures too and run hotter than older kids or adults. 

I think the lawsuit is a reach but these power companies will only change is if they are sued and lost money. They ONLY react to loss revenue and a lawsuit has a chance to regulate them finally. Lots of laws have been enacted because someone died. 

Regardless if the boy lived in a mobile home or not, i think they are entitled to a lawsuit and with something this big, lawfirms would do probono cases or if they can get a percentage at the end. 

Edited by Shipper
💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • Like 2

ProdigyARTPOP

the fact that you guys are siding with the company, who gives a f*ck about a reach,

a child literally died and homes were frozen on the inside like if they were in some horror movie,

everything that happened was bullshit and should’ve never happened, I hope more and more people attach themselves to this lawsuit and they light a fire under this company & Texas a** they deserve it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

myluis617

They say the child froze to death idk how that would be possible, did the others get hyperthermia as well? Why was he the only one? I feel bad this tragedy happened but dont act like its wrong to question the situation. 

Edited by myluis617
  • Like 1

E Z
3 hours ago, Dennnis said:

“Mobile home”

”100m lawsuit” 

Enough said. 

No, use your words. What exactly are you suggesting with this? 

Edited by E Z
  • Like 5

Shipper
14 minutes ago, myluis617 said:

They say the child froze to death idk how that would be possible, did the others get hyperthermia as well? Why was he the only one? I feel bad this tragedy happened but dont act like its wrong to question the situation. 

Cold affects people differently. Someone with more fat have more insulation while someone with less fat have less insulation. It is also possible the child have health issues which can make him vulnerable to the cold.

Younger children also have higher temperatures than older children and adults. They tend to run warmer and their hearts beat faster. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕
  • Like 3

ProdigyARTPOP
2 hours ago, E Z said:

No, use your words. What exactly are you suggesting with this? 

He’s assuming that because you live in a mobile home you must be reaching and trying to find any way to get $$$ and milk a situation, because apparently it’s not possible to live in a mobile home, get hypothermia or sue someone for negligence.

NCgaga

If someone asked if I’d rather have 100 mil dollars or a close family member, I would instantly chose family member. 

Sometimes when you file a lawsuit against large companies, you go high dollar amounts, so the company feels the effects of their negligence, and takes the proper precaustions so it doesn’t happen again. If it were a low dollar amount the company would just pay it off. 

it’s not about getting 100 mil, it’s about making the company change, and really having them feel the pain of one family losing a child. 

• Like 1