Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

122K signed petition to remove Sia from Golden Globe Awards

Teletubby

Featured Posts

MessyTop
1 hour ago, Regina George said:

It is a movie and she is not glorifying the act of restraining. I understand u tho and I am sorry if what I said offended you. 

Glad you understand the problem with it. We have to support the autistic community! The movie is problematic in many many ways. We have to listen to them. Sia has mishandled everything since the beginning 

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NORMANDIE
15 hours ago, Chromatican said:

Sorry, it's happening whether you like it or not, and I want Gaga to be seen in a good light in comparison to her contemporaries.

Embarrassing 

President Biden

Haven’t seen the film nor am I experienced with the issue of autism, so I can’t speak to this film, but it seems like she did something really really offensive.

Out of curiosity, could someone who is more educated on this topic give me a review of Atypical? I thought it was a really well done and entertaining show, but was wondering if anyone found it offensive. The main character (who is represented as on the spectrum) is played by a non-autist actor. But I have never seen him cancelled for it.

I got drunk

Jose P

I can’t believe there are people here who are actually defending this extremely harmful, stereotypical and caricature representation of autistic people. I don’t believe it’s “cancel-worthy” because cancel culture in general is just stupid, but it does deserve the backlash and criticism it’s received. Maybe that way Sia will learn to deal with these sensitive topics in a more respectful and tasteful manner.

17 hours ago, kukuryku666 said:

Not only there's no autistic actors

Is it ok if I focus on this point (not trying to argue the other points), I haven't watched the film so I have no comment on the backlash.  But, I don't see the issue with neurotypicals playing autistic people.  I have aspergers and just watched Atypical.  I adored the series and thought Keir Gilchrist did an amazing job as Sam.  Imo, it's the writers + an actors skills is where the meat is.  I don't see issue with someone not autistic playing an autistic character if you have the right people involved behind the scenes.

Spyro the Dragon

2 hours ago, President Biden said:

Haven’t seen the film nor am I experienced with the issue of autism, so I can’t speak to this film, but it seems like she did something really really offensive.

Out of curiosity, could someone who is more educated on this topic give me a review of Atypical? I thought it was a really well done and entertaining show, but was wondering if anyone found it offensive. The main character (who is represented as on the spectrum) is played by a non-autist actor. But I have never seen him cancelled for it.

Was literally thinking this while I was at the beginning of the thread (see my post above :enigma: )

I loved Atypical and I'm on the spectrum.  It kills my brain to see the actor who played Sam talked "normally" in interviews after watching all 3 seasons of Atypical.  I don't agree with the notion that an autistic character has to be played by an autistic person.  If the right actor and the right writing team (and maybe along with a couple psychologists who are really educated on the subject??) can shine light on the subject and get the point across, it should be ok in my book.  Also, one thing I felt was Atypical's saving grace is they showed many children on "different areas" of the spectrum sprinkled throughout the show and not just only one point (Sam).

Spyro the Dragon

KillerMonster

I just watched it. I cannot believe what I just watched. I can 100% see why it’s offensive. 

Don’t play with me, it just hurts me.

StrawberryBlond

Honestly, based on what so many people have been saying about this movie, it sounds like this movie has many-layered problems. When I found out that the lead was supposed to be played by an autistic actress but her needs weren't being met by the production and it was felt that the movie couldn't be shot with her in the lead and so she was replaced by Maddie. I feel like this hasn't been brought up enough. And Maddie was actually so worried about her role being viewed as a mockery that she went crying to Sia about it but Sia told her it was ok, she wouldn't let that happen. So, even Maddie didn't want to do this but Sia just wouldn't listen. It was brilliantly expressed in this video of an autistic actor's opinion (her part begins at 8:18):

I'm honestly surprised this movie even got made. Sia said she did 4 years of research to make it which makes me wonder what material she was referencing. I'm also finding it hard to believe that Sia didn't have Maddie earmarked for this role from the beginning, it seems like she wants Maddie in everything she does. She even said once that she didn't want to make another music video without her and her super-close friendship with this girl is very concerning. In light of all the critical panning of this movie, the fact it got 2 GG nominations has rightfully resulted in many scratched heads. And it does give credibility to the idea that nominations at least, can be bought as even before it started gaining controversy, this movie was getting no hype at all, how did an institution this big notice it?

PartySick
On 2/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, MACATL said:

This is the cancel culture that gives the “left” a bad rap and makes most people turn a deaf ear when something more legit really does need attention.  

Usually I agree with this, the reaching can be extreme sometimes. But with the way Sia acts and some harmful messages being sent here (like restraining or having an able girl pressured into acting like someone with autism), this film needs to be scrapped imo.

She can try again with proper resources, better info, and someone who actually has autism playing the main character :spin:

So this time, I think the "cancelling" is justified.

🖤

Better Day

I saw one clip of this movie on TikTok, as an autistic person myself, it was like Sia was mocking people that is on the spectrum. This movie should never of been made. 

Together You And I!

PartySick
18 hours ago, Spyro said:

I don't see issue with someone not autistic playing an autistic character if you have the right people involved behind the scenes.

My issue with this one is the girl, Maddie, didn't want to do it because she knew she'd come off as mocking or being a caricature of someone with autism. But they pushed her to do it anyway :toofunny:

I guess if they had someone more confident and informed in the role it wouldn't have been as bad :shrug:

🖤

• Teletubby changed the title to 116K signed petition to remove Sia from Golden Globe Awards
Debithius

I want to know what people with autism think and not some random 19 year old on twitter.

MANiCURE 6
On 2/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, Regina George said:

As someone who has someone who’s autistic in my family I can say that there is NOTHING bad in that movie. People are overreacting as usual. 

Right ! I also have someone who's autistic in my family and nothing's wrong about this movie...

• Teletubby changed the title to 122K signed petition to remove Sia from Golden Globe Awards
JusKeepBreathin
On 2/20/2021 at 4:45 AM, Chromatican said:

No wonder this fandom is terrible at stan wars. Aside from being negative about our fav and underestimating her, we never know how to weaponize narratives against other popstars.

Eww...go away. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Archived