💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

122K signed petition to remove Sia from Golden Globe Awards

Teletubby

Featured Posts

FreeWendy
2 hours ago, Quartz said:

This is just becoming more and more messy. Honestly feel bad for Sia and her hard work. Has anyone watched it? How was it? Was it as harmful as they say?

It definitely was. I have friends who are autistic and after watching it they were very offended, and my friends mom with an autistic kid was offended too.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FreeWendy
2 hours ago, Regina George said:

As someone who has someone who’s autistic in my family I can say that there is NOTHING bad in that movie. People are overreacting as usual. 

Yes because you speak for all autistic people, correct? I know plenty of autistic people who are offended.

FreeWendy
57 minutes ago, Regina George said:

I went to medical school and I was trained as pediatric nurse before university and I worked with MANY autistic children. It is spectrum. Some appear completely fine and some are obviously having some issues. I saw many autistic kids making those kinds of faces and behaving like that. I also have autistic child in my family and yes they do certain things that were represented in this movie. No one is saying all autistic people behave like that BUT some are and those are actual facts and there is nothing wrong with that. As for actress not being autistic - Working with actual autistic children who are behaving in that way is EXTREMELY difficult. There’s no way you could manage to film that movie with an actual autistic child who behaves like that. 

This movie is not mocking anyone, it is representing difficult kind of autism that actually exists. No one is saying all autistic people behave like that or do those things.

331ebe1d6029f13c6e125deb004f8b8c.gif

Supersonic
27 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

That's on you though, but doesn't mean other people's criticism is not valid cos many of them are the ones who are autistic themselves and they felt offended by it.

Other than that, meanwhile I appreciate on you on being person who work in medic, I also hate the fact some of you, including yourself, feels that just because you are having this profession, you can use it as somekind of badge that you would use in a discussion so people don't debate you. I don't think that's cool or right at all. Especially since people who work in medic also have divided opinion on this subject.

I think we need to stop saying OFFENDED because that word like no gravitas whatsoever and it simplifies what people actually think about the movie (which is like what a lot of people do here as soon as they hear "offended" they go on full buckwild and discredit and valid criticism as hysteria). It's a subjective perception what is offensive and what is not, however this film is OBJECTIVELY harmful.

It offers an extremely stereotypical portrayal of an autistic girl, that is so redundant it has actually become a trope in TV production. The portrayal doesn't focus on humanizing or spreading awareness, it makes autistic people a pseudo-moralist entertainment spectacle. Something to gawk at, something to point fingers at in shock & bewilderment. It's inspiration p0rn, something that well-adjusted members of the society can watch and think "wow, no matter how bad I'm doing, at least I'm not like that" That alone in itself is poses to be harmful to anybody who is on the spectrum of autism, but that's not the end of it. The scene where the autistic character gets put into a prone restraint is plain irresponsible after so many autistic children have DIED from getting put under this particular hold of restraint. It's not portrayed as a dangerous technique, it's just something you should do with autistic people when they become to hard to handle. 

And judging from the current reaction and information given, it seems like that that particular scene has not been contextualized or removed, even though Sia apologized for the scene, recognized that it actually IS harmful and announced the film would feature a disclaimer that prone holds are dangerouns and that she would remove the scene. 

It's not just offensive, it stirs up ignorant mindsets among its audience and promotes techniques on how to handle autistic people, than can be life-threatening for them. 

vyniildisk

omg i'm so ignorant about autism. I thought they could live a perfectly normal life. I better leave this thread quietly and read about it 

Quartz
2 hours ago, kukuryku666 said:

If you don't know if it was harmful or not, why do you feel bad for her already? Yes it was.

I feel bad for her because she has spent considerable effort on this. I can still feel bad for her and not like the thing. It's not mutually exclusive love.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

littlepotter
2 hours ago, Regina George said:

This movie is not mocking anyone, it is representing difficult kind of autism that actually exists. No one is saying all autistic people behave like that or do those things.

Uhm thank you! This is literally the thing that confuses me the most about the whole fiasco. Just because the character depicts a severe form of autism it doesn't mean all people are like that. I don't understand this representation mania. If you want to represent a certain community or part of a community then do a movie about it, not everything has to cater to inclusivity. :saladga: and i say this as someome from probably the most underrepresented or falsely represented culture in western media.

chaeri pls

alsemanche
2 minutes ago, littlepotter said:

Uhm thank you! This is literally the thing that confuses me the most about the whole fiasco. Just because the character depicts a severe form of autism it doesn't mean all people are like that. I don't understand this representation mania. If you want to represent a certain community or part of a community then do a movie about it, not everything has to cater to inclusivity. :saladga: and i say this as someome from probably the most underrepresented or falsely represented culture in western media.

read this tho

28 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

I think we need to stop saying OFFENDED because that word like no gravitas whatsoever and it simplifies what people actually think about the movie (which is like what a lot of people do here as soon as they hear "offended" they go on full buckwild and discredit and valid criticism as hysteria). It's a subjective perception what is offensive and what is not, however this film is OBJECTIVELY harmful.

It offers an extremely stereotypical portrayal of an autistic girl, that is so redundant it has actually become a trope in TV production. The portrayal doesn't focus on humanizing or spreading awareness, it makes autistic people a pseudo-moralist entertainment spectacle. Something to gawk at, something to point fingers at in shock & bewilderment. It's inspiration p0rn, something that well-adjusted members of the society can watch and think "wow, no matter how bad I'm doing, at least I'm not like that" That alone in itself is poses to be harmful to anybody who is on the spectrum of autism, but that's not the end of it. The scene where the autistic character gets put into a prone restraint is plain irresponsible after so many autistic children have DIED from getting put under this particular hold of restraint. It's not portrayed as a dangerous technique, it's just something you should do with autistic people when they become to hard to handle. 

And judging from the current reaction and information given, it seems like that that particular scene has not been contextualized or removed, even though Sia apologized for the scene, recognized that it actually IS harmful and announced the film would feature a disclaimer that prone holds are dangerouns and that she would remove the scene. 

It's not just offensive, it stirs up ignorant mindsets among its audience and promotes techniques on how to handle autistic people, than can be life-threatening for them. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Poissonche

This thread is literally autistic people saying something is ableist and discriminatory against them and non-autistic people being like "no it's not offensive get over it" smh. Switch the narrative around with LGBTQ people, women, POC, black people. Who should get over it now? Bye.

Moonlight on Water
3 hours ago, Quartz said:

I just said I didn't watch it. You can present these facts without being hateful, you know. I guess I'll watch it just to judge for myself. Thanks, I guess.

PS - Are you autistic or know anyone who's autistic?

I didn't direct it to you, I'm sorry if it felt like it. I'm just horrified that some people don't understand why it's awful. I don't think I'm autistic but i have a brother who is on the spectrum.

she/her

Serial Chiller

Loving that reply that was like 'because someone I know doesn't have a problem with it, nobody should have a problem with it' :billie:

But yeah, why go through all this to 'remove' her. It doesn't have any positive influence. Yes, do speak out about the wrongful and inaccurate portrayals, and even boycott the movie, but this step is just unnecessary. I mean, it's just a nomination, not like it's a set win. Even in that case, there have been a lot more tragic wins in these award shows. 

Not worth it.  

Moonlight on Water

Let's see

- Sia met this autistic "friend" through some kind of group.

This person was a male

Autism affects females differently compared to males

Why isn't Music a male? Must be because she wanted Maddie as Music.

- Sia worked with Autism Speaks

That foundation spreads misinformation on how to deal with autists and think autists should just have a meltdown in the middle of the floor without aid.

- Sia included scenes where Music gets pinned down due to sensory overloads.

This can kill autistic people

You can find a body camera of a police officer mocking and pinning down an autistic man named Tony.  He died from suffocation.

-Sia also said she would edit in a disclaimer for autists

Never done.

-Sia killed off one of the other autists, the bald guy who was a boxer. Yes, spoiler, I don't care.

-The "autistic cast" seems to be the kids in the Together music video.

- Kate's character attempts to change up Music's routine to make her feel more adventurous.

This should not be done. Autistic people can get stressed out from this. Routine makes them less prone to sensory overloads

-Kate's character makes a racist joke to Ebo

She's drunk, left Music all by herself, and knocks on Ebo's door. She refers to sex by telling him that she "doesn't care about aids". He's black. One of the reason why people went after black people was simply because of the fear of aids.

The move has a lot of unnecessary scenes and the script is god awful. Sia's character doesn't even make sense.

Good enough for you?

she/her

• Teletubby changed the title to 122K signed petition to remove Sia from Golden Globe Awards

Archived