šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Rihanna has been accused of cultural appropriation

Teletubby

Featured Posts

ALGAYDO

I love Rihanna and I do think people on the internet seek out to be offended, but this time theyā€™re kinda right. Iā€™m agnostic myself and donā€™t follow any religion at all for obvious reasons, but using someoneā€™s religion as a fashion accessory is disrespectful af. But knowing Rihanna, she probably had zero intentions of doing that, sheā€™s actually a sweetheart. But yeah I 100% sympathize with Hindu individuals being uncomfortable with thisĀ Ā 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know if she just wears it for "fashion" or if she actually knows about Ganesha and maybe beliefs in it?Ā 

trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken but you can still see the crack in that ************s reflection.

Controversial opinion: it's okay to be disrespectful sometimes. Religions, cultures, etc, unless your parents committed some type of genocide or international slavery systemĀ on said culture/religion, everyone is free to do whatever they like and people need to get off their high horse that their personal/religious/cultural rules apply to everyone in the world.

Chromatography

didnā€™t the met gala have a whole catholicism theme? fashion is always taking from religious iconography.Ā 

Franch Toast

Eh, this isn't Rihanna's first cultural appropriation rodeo. I think she's had three or four accusations by now. She'll do what celebs always do: apologize for her ignorance, and then move on until she does it again.Ā 

She/Her/Hers

Franch Toast
5 minutes ago, Babel said:

Would you guys sympathize with Catholics being offended by Gaga wearing a cross in her crotch?Ā 

Gaga herself is Catholic.Ā 

She/Her/Hers

Chromatislaps
5 hours ago, ANTI WP said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The double standards hereĀ :yennefer:Ā 

Can i expect the same response from you guys Ā if anĀ asian/indian celeb disrespect Black culture ? ( It's a genuine question .. i'm not mad at you guess cause indian culture is very complex for foreigners to understand )

For me its Its fine to be offended, but people cancel anyone who isn't aware of their "appropriation", and a lot of twitter folk will right attack right away and try to destroy someone if they wear something they are not supposed to in a certain setting.Ā Im just done with overal cancel culture, its getting annoying.

It would be better to inform Rih with why its appropriation instead of people just saying how it's not a good look or somethingĀ Then again we must also ask why a necklace with Shri Ganesha is being sold as if it's a normal piece of jewelry, that brings us to a whole other matter.

ShayCristoforo

If there is resounding criticism from the Hindu community, I think there's merit.Ā 

If it's only a few people, it'sĀ not a major offense.
I think what separates minor offenses from major offenses is: intention, context, and appreciation vs. appropriation.Ā Ā Ā 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Wet Fire

If we talk about sexualizing religion, Gaga did something similar in the Alejandro video when she was having the orgy while wearing the Cross gown. But here, Rihanna is using another culture's imagery.

This is a complex issue. I am Hindu but I'm not a gatekeeper of Hindu culture. People who are offended probably have the right to be offended. Our culture isn't really prepared to see one's object of reverence used as another's accessory in a sexualized portrayal.Ā 

But then again, the debate comes to the relation between religion and sexuality. And Hindu culture is originally intricately tied with (hyper)sexuality.

So in the end the debate gets really tricky and I don't think aĀ for/against solution is possible.

ANTI WP
1 minute ago, Chromatislaps said:

we must also ask why a necklash with Shri Ganesha is being sold as if it's a normal piece of jewelry, that brings us to a whole other matter.

Cause hindu women and menĀ wear that during traditional festival

like thisĀ 

bgdr255-gold-plated-jewellery-plain-laks

temple_jewelry_designs-695x1024.jpg

its a cultural thing here for us to wear during our festivalsĀ 

temple_jewelry_designs-695x1024.jpg

Ā 

ANTI WP

Ā 

For the people hear saying that " WE ARE TOO SENSITIVE " " WE ARE CRAZY "

Ā 

No its not like that ... its a " HUGE DEAL FOR USĀ  ". There is no culture for us if we removed religion from our tradition.Ā  even non religious people here respect us for that.Ā 

so all we are asking is " RESPECT OUR CULTURE ".

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived