💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Black actress as queen of England

Kapi09

Featured Posts

Reality

I mean, I just don't understand the decision....

Like, if the story is going to be completely fictional and is going to rewrite history in a way that is indescernible from what actually happened, then yeah, I can see it, but if it's going to be a historical piece, then why...?

I am all for improving diversity in Hollywood, but this just doesn't make sense to me. 

🃏🖤👹

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

There are SO MANY beautiful stories about strong black individuals and it makes me so sad that people think they have to do this instead of sharing those stories. I say if the person was white and you want to tell their stories, then go with white actress.. Same goes for POC. Imagined character is one thing, real historical figure is other. It is extremely important to represent everyone the way they were if we are writing historical piece. White woman wouldn’t have same life struggles as black woman and vice versa. 

FentyGa
7 minutes ago, HeavyCapiLover said:

This obsessed woke ass rethoric is literally the reason why some many people have had enough with progressism and "woke culture". You're not fighting against racism, you're just avoiding a normal debate by making everyone that disagrees just a bit with your view looking like they're racist. That is dangerous.

i also stated several arguments, but you don’t wanna argue against those, i guess lol

7 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

Very telling of what fentyga:yennefer:

of where the problem really lies. if you want a completely accurate portrayal of history, and your one problem is the race of the cast, you should probably think about why.

8 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Chile, let's not throw the race card like that everytime someone disagrees with us :smh: Nobody is going to like Reese Witherspoon, for example, playing Oprah in a biopic or something but they shouldn't be called racist.

but...this is literally a discussion about race. the name of the thread is “Black actress as queen of England”

also, as i said before, anne’s story isn’t affected by race. race isn’t a factor in her story.

oprah being a black woman is a significant part of her story, growing up black in the US in the 20th century, breaking daytime tv boundaries, and becoming the richest african american in the 1900s. it’s not the same thing.

ModernEcstasy

People really need to calm down. 
As long as she does a good job of portraying Anne, then what’s the problem :shrug:

Can people not enjoy a movie/series because they are so fixated on the colour of an Actors skin? Madness! 

Regina George
1 minute ago, FentyGa said:

also, as i said before, anne’s story isn’t affected by race. race isn’t a factor in her story.

Do you really think black woman at the time would be able to live the same life as her tho? 

FentyGa
Just now, Regina George said:

Do you really think black woman at the time would be able to live the same life as her tho? 

that’s not what i’m saying.

what i’m saying is that her whiteness isn’t a plot point. it’s not an integral part of her story. there aren’t any specific struggles she faced due to her whiteness.

so, in this fictional show, creating an integrated society won’t change the story.

there are certain struggles POC face because they are POC. anne’s story and struggles weren’t shaped by her race.

GagaSine
14 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Chile, let's not throw the race card like that everytime someone disagrees with us :smh: Nobody is going to like Reese Witherspoon, for example, playing Oprah in a biopic or something but they shouldn't be called racist.

Idk why you guys don’t get it

white people have been playing people of colour since the dawn of film, roles are white washed all the time and people of colour generally have less opportunities  and diversity of roles available to them. That’s why a white actor playing a black character is a bad look, but not the other way around.

it’s the nuance and the context, it’s about levelling the playing field a little and fairness. If racism & white supremacy didn’t exist neither would this issue.

RenegAde
12 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

of where the problem really lies. if you want a completely accurate portrayal of history, and your one problem is the race of the cast, you should probably think about why.

I am yet to share my opinion on the casting so i dont even know where you are getting all these ideas from 

And yes if we are going for an accurate portrayal of history then the race of the character is very very vital , i think

Regina George
1 minute ago, FentyGa said:

that’s not what i’m saying.

what i’m saying is that her whiteness isn’t a plot point. it’s not an integral part of her story. there aren’t any specific struggles she faced due to her whiteness.

so, in this fictional show, creating an integrated society won’t change the story.

there are certain struggles POC face because they are POC. anne’s story and struggles weren’t shaped by her race.

Her struggles and story weren’t shaped by race because she was white. 

This is not fair to POC imo because representing queen of England as black woman at this time period when black people were going through such a hard time in the same country is beyond tasteless. 

You are right, Anne’s story is not related to race but only because she was white. If she was black she would probably not be alive to witness anything that her story is rn and that is the only problem I have with this. 

Bambino
14 minutes ago, FentyGa said:

That would've been true if there were POC in the royal family at that time, but this isn't the case. Her being a white person who happens to be a Queen in that specific period says a lot.

GagaSine
9 minutes ago, ModernEcstasy said:

People really need to calm down. 
As long as she does a good job of portraying Anne, then what’s the problem :shrug:

Can people not enjoy a movie/series because they are so fixated on the colour of an Actors skin? Madness! 

It feels like the 1950s f’real, “no non whites allowed”. Like chill out it’s a god damn movie. People are all about historical accuracy when it comes to race but i’m sure they aren’t shocked and appalled when women have perfectly manicured and micro bladed eyebrows, lip fillers, hairless waxed legs in a renaissance or medieval production.

i believe they are, as it is said, “showing their asses”

Chromatislaps
3 hours ago, Stan KDA said:

two words: forced diversity :huntyga:

yup, im all for diversity, but this makes no sense for that time period.

Question for the culture:

Are y'all mad about Hamilton the same way you're mad about this?

If no, why not?

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Economy
3 hours ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

Yea and We will be watching. White people been playing BIPOC roles by painting their skin brown since the dawn of time. You’re going to be fine 

Why are u defending a practice that has generally been accepted to be bad and justifying it on the grounds that in the past it was the whites that did it?

I could use the same line of reasoning to justify stealing from someone because at some point in the past i was stolen from as if that gives me some free card to now do it to someone else. 

These kinds of inconsistencies and double standards just make some ppl not take movements seriously

The past is the past. We learn from it and and thats why we have things like black history month and movements to reflect on the inequalities what what still needs to be done and we focus on doing things correctly from now on. U dont repeat the same things purposely on a new generation to try to even and settle some kind of score from past generations. Thats the kind of thinking that triggers unnecessairy division to keep blazing instead of moving forward as one people

ShayCristoforo

As a black person, I don’t want to see that. Casting a black woman will distort the historic views and actually negate the impact of oppression. We need to be able to see a British monarch and say “those rich racist white b*tches.” Lmao. The wool is not gonna be pulled over my eyes.

Unless you switch up the whole cast like they did with Bridgerton, it’s just lame. 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Archived