đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Black actress as queen of England

Kapi09

Featured Posts

Sneaky Oliver

Not you putting Black Panther in the same category as Mandela and Hitler :deadbanana:

I’m on my Legacy Act era

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Queen Bitch

Usually I would be bothered by something like this, but I just don't care anymore. It's pointless to get riled up about it. If people have a problem with it, they should just refrain from watching it.

Besides it doesn't sound like it will actually be a biopic. It says it's a psychological thriller. Plus Jodie Turner-Smith is a good actress. I liked her in Queen & Slim. 

OMonster
15 minutes ago, Chic said:

Unless the character being played by a woman of color contradicted something about the character’s involvement in the story, I don’t really see a problem :shrug:

It contradicts the character's entire BEING - and story. 

subtext / fantasy

littlepotter
32 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

It's a movie, not a documentary. It's not meant to be a historical record, it's an artistic interpretation of the era. 

I think people are far too stiff with things like this. If the director wants to cast a POC, it's their art, let them. 

THANK YOU! How come everyone thinks they get to have a say in how the woman decides to portray her art? 

chaeri pls

littlepotter
1 minute ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

Not you putting Black Panther in the same category as Mandela and Hitler :deadbanana:

Or Hitler and Mandela in the first place :smh: 

chaeri pls

NFRatwell
1 minute ago, Queen Bitch said:

Usually I would be bothered by something like this, but I just don't care anymore. It's pointless to get riled up about it. If people have a problem with it, they should just refrain from watching it. 

Honestly this. In reality it’s such a non issue. I just hope people understand this isn’t historical representation, and we can do better. The director is free to do what she wants. 

Serial Chiller

We just have to ask. Why keep telling these white people history and shoehorn poc in it while i'm sure there are plenty of non-white histories to tell? :bye:

Gabi001
13 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

i don't think white actors/actresses are allowed to play other races anymore. Maybe because it happened to much in the past i guess? The backlash would destroy the project and damage the reputation of the actress or actor.

but why is it okey to do it other way around? 

I'm not having fun tonight.

Battle4Babylon

A white Nelson Mandela or white Ghandi is taking away from the important factor that is their ethnicity. A black Anne Boleyn is not that big of an issue. Have you heard of the musical Six? It's about Henry's wives and the cast is diverse. It's simply a reimagination, it is really not that big of a deal.

Mmm I mean if it's like.. an interpretation of how a black woman would have been treated as a queen in England back then that's interesting? but if they're just changing her skin color and no one will react to it (i.e. racism doesn't exist) it'll be a little weird?

The more I think about it the more I think it's opening a lot of doors if no one reacts to her race actually.. I'd be here for a movie with Jesus portrayed as a butch lesbian

Gabi001
2 minutes ago, Battle4Babylon said:

A white Nelson Mandela or white Ghandi is taking away from the important factor that is their ethnicity. A black Anne Boleyn is not that big of an issue. Have you heard of the musical Six? It's about Henry's wives and the cast is diverse. It's simply a reimagination, it is really not that big of a deal.

So black Stalin is not a big problem because ethnicity is not an important factor of his life?

I'm not having fun tonight.

RudraCNG

This thread is the reason why they chose that actress. I didn't know about that show, now I do. They obviously did it just for the controversy.

blackpink
1 hour ago, ZiggyZiggs said:

Yea and We will be watching. White people been playing BIPOC roles by painting their skin brown since the dawn of time. You’re going to be fine 

this. 

Battle4Babylon
2 minutes ago, Gabi001 said:

So black Stalin is not a big problem because ethnicity is not an important factor of his life?

I don't see why you would want to portray Hitler or Stalin as black, and I also don't think you can compare them to Anne Boleyn. It is simply a reimagination, I don't understand the problem.

Archived