Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Chained to the Rhythm MV Dark Concept

Lighter

Featured Posts

huttont

While I also wish she actually went dark with her music and videos, we also have to remember that Katy is very much controlled by record labels as well. She probably has some say, but I’m sure she is pressured into doing what her label tells her. Her original concepts for prism and witness might have been a lot darker.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, FentyGa said:

the fame monster, born this way

basically songs in minor and dark visuals, religious/satanic references, etc

which is pretty basic and has been done before, but that’s what they want

It must be so boring to expect the same thing over and over

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Mother of Puppies
23 minutes ago, Doily Skull said:

There is a difference between "dark" and "darker".... by darker she means more "serious topics" than her previous fun light pop music...  and if u look at the songs and lyrics, she was actually right about it, even though prism was still a bright pop album. (my favorite after Teenage dream)

And of course her music is not as "dark" visually and lyric-wise as Gaga's... and I like it like that... that's why I didn't really like witness.. for me that album was too "forced" in a way that she was trying to be "darker, cooler"  etc. and too serious... it doesn't suit her personality because she doesn't take herself too seriously and she's usually always up for a joke...

I always felt like the real "dark" stuff is totally Gaga's thing...  and I just like it when Katy is tongue in cheek & fun and saying things in her way...

Call me LADY MOP & I'll mop the floor with you 🧹

Demoncore

I love Till Nowak! He made a "mockumentary" called The Centrifuge Brain Project where the premise was about a scientist trying to create dreamlike rides in real life. Definitely the predecessor to these designs:

Doily Skull
11 minutes ago, NickyPuppy said:

There is a difference between "dark" and "darker".... by darker she means more "serious topics" than her previous fun light pop music...  and if u look at the songs and lyrics, she was actually right about it, even though prism was still a bright pop album. (my favorite after Teenage dream)

And of course her music is not as "dark" visually and lyric-wise as Gaga's... and I like it like that... that's why I didn't really like witness.. for me that album was too "forced" in a way that she was trying to be "darker, cooler"  etc. and too serious... it doesn't suit her personality because she doesn't take herself too seriously and she's usually always up for a joke...

I always felt like the real "dark" stuff is totally Gaga's thing...  and I just like it when Katy is tongue in cheek & fun and saying things in her way...

I definitely agree with you semantically

~staying stupid through my holy days~

Grigio Guy
3 hours ago, Enigma said:

Uhm not y’all making this about her not going out of her comfort zone 

like yes I agree that’s definitely true about her but dark just wasn’t the move for this specific song :awkney:

the whole thing is about how ignorance is bliss with lines such as “Rose coloured glasses” “utopia” “white picket fences” “in our bubbles”

Yes it’s a very serious message but the whole point is to point out the uncanny feeling of a society that acts like everything’s fine because of individualism while so much bad stuff is happening constantly all around us

The whole pastel deal was the only correct choice for this :bear:

But it could’ve been done fifty times better. I feel like the music video is a watered down concept of what it could’ve been. I feel like I’m watching a Six Flags during Easter commercial instead of a dystopian metaphor about ignorance and conformity.

Religion is a product to sell.

HotLikeMexico
2 hours ago, kiwimane said:

I love Till Nowak! He made a "mockumentary" called The Centrifuge Brain Project where the premise was about a scientist trying to create dreamlike rides in real life. Definitely the predecessor to these designs:

Beat me to it. Def was gonna bring this up. Such a trippy film.

23 minutes ago, Grigio Guy said:

But it could’ve been done fifty times better. I feel like the music video is a watered down concept of what it could’ve been. I feel like I’m watching a Six Flags during Easter commercial instead of a dystopian metaphor about ignorance and conformity.

I mean sure, I can’t picture how you would make it better so I can’t comment, I just know that it certainly wouldn’t be by giving it a darker colour scheme and getting rid of the happy vibe.

I guess if you mean the whole Utopia theme park was cheesy, then yeah I can give that to you, but despite having a message the song is still just upbeat radio pop. And Katy, at least since Teenage Dream, seems to have a very movie-like concept for each MV (Candyland, aliens, Egypt, the 80s...) a bit like Iggy Azalea does. This one was about retrofuturism which I thought was fitting with the sci-fi/dystopia theme. In the past, the future was very idealized so it makes total sense to go down that road with the pastel colours and everything.

I guess the fact you felt like watching a Six Flags commercial is a good sign, since the whole point was to lay the message and unsettling factor under pounds of pastel, smiles and consumerism.

Its not exactly a masterpiece or a deep social commentary, but the song itself never was intended to be one 

Bradley

The song itself is not dark at all, I think the version we got is better.

If she really wanted an era with dark visuals, it would've worked better on songs like Dark Horse, Circle the Drain, Swish Swish, etc.

4 hours ago, Jill said:

Stans always say they want "dark music" or "dark concepts" or "dark aesthetics" but I haven't actually seen anyone explaining wtf they mean by that :rip: it sounds like such an abstract and meaningless concept

I think they actually mean edgy. Like mysterious, avant-guarde, intriguing. Not necessarily full blown satanic stuff, just that Mugler-esque aesthetic in terms of visuals and a more serious sound 

2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I think they actually mean edgy. Like mysterious, avant-guarde, intriguing. Not necessarily full blown satanic stuff, just that Mugler-esque aesthetic in terms of visuals and a more serious sound 

Prism has a more mature sound but nobody thinks of it as "dark". I think they want dark in the visuals only. The same thing applies to ARTPOP, everybody calls it a colorful album when it is in fact a very depressing one in terms of lyrics :rip: like, it barely makes sense as an adjective

This was an official message from the Office of the First Lady.

Archived